Detuned Aussie Supras?   2003-07-10 21:30:00 <morekarma@...>
Following a link that someone else posted I arrived at the Oz supra site and a rundown on the MK3.

Part of the write up includes the following:

"there were a number of personal imports of the Japanese model due to increased performance and lower prices. The imported model arrived in Australia with approx. 230 kw at the engine. On the other hand the Australian model left the factory with a mere 170 kw after being "de-tuned" thanks to Australian design rules for new cars. The Australian Mk III's were de-tuned by decreasing the turbo boost to 6psi and installing a 2.25" exhaust with 2 catalytic converters and a restrictive muffler. The Imported model had 14psi turbo boost and a 3" completely non-restrictive exhaust. Good news is that to convert an Australian MKIII back to import specifications is very easy and very low cost.... email for info etc."

If this is correct then we should be able to get this sort of performance out of our vehicles as well.
The figures of 6 PSI boost and 2.25" exhaust seem to be what most stock MK3's here have - so if this is the case and we're only getting 170kW at the engine, why not follow the "conversion to import specs" back up to 14 PSI with a 3" exhaust?

I've emailed for the details as to how the conversion is done, in the meantime someone might like to comment on this. I've not heard anything like this before.

Re: Detuned Aussie Supras?   2003-07-10 21:49:00 <stuartw@...>
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 morekarma@hotmail.com wrote:

> Following a link that someone else posted I arrived at the Oz supra site and a rundown on the MK3.
>
> Part of the write up includes the following:
>
> "there were a number of personal imports of the Japanese model due to increased performance and lower prices. The imported model arrived in Australia with approx. 230 kw at the engine. On the other hand the Australian model left the factory with a mere 170 kw after being "de-tuned" thanks to Australian design rules for new cars. The Australian Mk III's were de-tuned by decreasing the turbo boost to 6psi and installing a 2.25" exhaust with 2 catalytic converters and a restrictive muffler. The Imported model had 14psi turbo boost and a 3" completely non-restrictive exhaust. Good news is that to convert an Australian MKIII back to import specifications is very easy and very low cost.... email for info etc."
>
> If this is correct then we should be able to get this sort of performance out of our vehicles as well.
> The figures of 6 PSI boost and 2.25" exhaust seem to be what most stock MK3's here have - so if this is the case and we're only getting 170kW at the engine, why not follow the "conversion to import specs" back up to 14 PSI with a 3" exhaust?
>
> I've emailed for the details as to how the conversion is done, in the meantime someone might like to comment on this. I've not heard anything like this before.

It's all crap, there is no 230Kw standard Mk.3 3.0T, myths like this are
common.
the japanese one does have a slightly different engine, but no realy
difference - no EGR, which is actually a bad thing - EGR is only ever good
for an engine, at no measurable performance loss.

Stuart W.

Re: Detuned Aussie Supras?   2003-07-10 22:04:00 <Cully Paterson>

> the japanese one does have a slightly different engine, but no realy
> difference - no EGR, which is actually a bad thing - EGR is only ever good
> for an engine, at no measurable performance loss.

Take a look at the crap that ends up inside the intake tract on an EGR
equipped engine - it's nasty nasty.

Re: Detuned Aussie Supras?   2003-07-10 22:11:00 <Marc Archbold>
Would have thought that the EGR would decrease intake density (less O2 +
Heat) and effectively reduce HP.
Is this not the case Stuart?

> > the japanese one does have a slightly different engine, but no realy
> > difference - no EGR, which is actually a bad thing - EGR is only ever
good
> > for an engine, at no measurable performance loss.
>
> Take a look at the crap that ends up inside the intake tract on an EGR
> equipped engine - it's nasty nasty.

Re: Detuned Aussie Supras?   2003-07-10 22:29:00 <blondebear>
sorry just to see if im here

> > the japanese one does have a slightly different engine, but no realy
> > difference - no EGR, which is actually a bad thing - EGR is only ever
good
> > for an engine, at no measurable performance loss.
>
> Take a look at the crap that ends up inside the intake tract on an EGR
> equipped engine - it's nasty nasty.

Re: Detuned Aussie Supras?   2003-07-11 08:45:00 <Cully Paterson>

> Would have thought that the EGR would decrease intake density (less O2 +
> Heat) and effectively reduce HP.
> Is this not the case Stuart?

The argument is that EGR only operates under cruise - it shuts off when you
put your foot down.

re: Detuned Aussie Supras?   2003-07-11 22:34:00 <morekarma@...>
Ok, so is it realistic then to be running 14 PSI on a 3" exhaust using stock injectors and fuel pump (and everything else for that matter) ?
Or, to put it another way - what's the maximum boost one should/could consider using stock injectors etc, and what's the cheapest way to set it up?

re: Detuned Aussie Supras?   2003-07-11 23:12:00 <john shannon>

I am running 18psi boost on stock injectors with no problems

>From: morekarma@hotmail.com
>Subject: [sconz] re: Detuned Aussie Supras?
>Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:29:06 -0000
>
>Ok, so is it realistic then to be running 14 PSI on a 3" exhaust using stock injectors and fuel pump (and everything else for that matter) ?
>Or, to put it another way - what's the maximum boost one should/could consider using stock injectors etc, and what's the cheapest way to set it up?

Download MSN Messenger - talk to family and friends overseas!

re: Detuned Aussie Supras?   2003-07-14 12:06:00 <Nick Clewer>
I wouldn't go over 12psi, well I didn't on my 7M when I had it anyway.