180km/h speed defenser   2003-07-19 23:28:00 <TRIPLE M>

>Hi marc

Whats wrong with a zenor diode speed limiter?

regards
murray

>Autospeed.com.
>
>They still have the series I and not a bad price at $200AU.
>http://www.autospeed.com/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?product=37
>
>Hmmm, thinking of buying one again - anyone want an HKS speed defenser
>(180Km lifter) email me off list with an offer.
>
>- Marc

re: 180km/h speed defenser   2003-07-20 01:50:00 <kyandal@...>
So Marc,

is the HKS Speed Limit Defencer any good for the 1G-GTE?? or should I go for the APEXI Rev/Speedmeter (wot iz the actual APEXI reference/model no?) OR both?????

If I can get the 180km/h limiter removed and have correct fuelling above this without having to HACK HACK HACK (as CUlly so eloquently put it) I'm all for it - taking his advice, I want to do it right.

As I plan on going with the Saab BOV and J. Walkers Boost upgrade, I want to have the system as reliable and non-detonating as possible

Cheers,
Allan W

Re: 180km/h speed defenser   2003-07-20 09:51:00 <Marc Archbold>

> >Hi marc

Howdy,

> Whats wrong with a zenor diode speed limiter?

Cant speed limit with a Zener, as we are talking Frequency, not voltage.
The speed signal typically varies from 0-117Hz.

The Zener is (unfortunately) used as a hack against
MAP fuel cut. Its ugly to say the least.
On the other hand I have seen some quite good 'fuel cut lifter' schematics
however I wouldn't recommed the use of.

- Marc

> regards
> murray

re: 180km/h speed defenser   2003-07-20 09:58:00 <Marc Archbold>

> is the HKS Speed Limit Defencer any good for the 1G-GTE?? or should I go
for the APEXI Rev/Speedmeter (wot iz the actual APEXI reference/model no?)
OR both?????

The HKS speed limit defencer will work on all MK2 and Mk3. It will work on
the MKIV if a Zener is added to the input stage and a resistor cut on the
output stage (5V pull up, the MKIV is 12v pull up and is not required as it
is internally referenced in the ECU)

> If I can get the 180km/h limiter removed and have correct fuelling above
this without having to HACK HACK HACK (as CUlly so eloquently put it) I'm
all for it - taking his advice, I want to do it right.

You wont need to do anything other than speed cut to fuel above 180Km/hr,
the ECU will cope fine.
My 1G-GTE worked fine, so did my 92 4L V8 Soarer, and now my JZA70. All on
private roads :)

> As I plan on going with the Saab BOV and J. Walkers Boost upgrade, I want
to have the system as reliable and non-detonating as possible

That could be difficult with pump gas :) Actually as long as you keep the
boost respectable you should be fine. Fitting the BOV is a good idea.
Other than these mods you might want to check out Lee Dobson's single turbo
1G. Rocks.

Regards,
Marc

> Cheers,
> Allan W

re: 180km/h speed defenser   2003-07-20 10:02:00 <Marc Archbold>

That should read a series resistor potential divider, not Zener, my error.