confuzzled about my diff :s   2003-07-21 17:14:00 <Stu & Suze>
ok here goes

i have a diff which is definitely lsd buttttttttttt both cv's run the same way and u "cannot" stop one turning. No it's not welded or else they're the most magnificent invisible welds i've ever seen. Now it doesn't appear that it's a torson (in a way) coz the cog wheel thingy is no where near the size of John's one (Type R Supra) but heres a few links to some pics i took of it, i would appreciate any enlightenment on this diff :)

www.spite.co.nz/diff1.jpg
www.spite.co.nz/diff2.jpg
www.spite.co.nz/diff3.jpg

RE: confuzzled about my diff :s   2003-07-21 17:21:00 <Peter Nield (DSL AK)>
That looks like a TORSEN(tm) diff allright - the worm gears on the diff
carrier are a giveaway. And not being able to turn the wheels independently
when turning the wheels. Those worm gears effectively lock the two half
shafts together. You *might* be able to slow down one of the wheels if you
turn the prop shaft instead.

You Lucky Bugger.

_____

i have a diff which is definitely lsd buttttttttttt both cv's run the same
way and u "cannot" stop one turning. No it's not welded or else they're the
most magnificent invisible welds i've ever seen. Now it doesn't appear that
it's a torson (in a way) coz the cog wheel thingy is no where near the size
of John's one (Type R Supra) but heres a few links to some pics i took of
it, i would appreciate any enlightenment on this diff :)

www.spite.co.nz/diff1.jpg <http://www.spite.co.nz/diff1.jpg>
www.spite.co.nz/diff2.jpg <http://www.spite.co.nz/diff2.jpg>
www.spite.co.nz/diff3.jpg <http://www.spite.co.nz/diff3.jpg>

RE: confuzzled about my diff :s   2003-07-21 17:37:00 <Stu & Suze>
so maybe it's a baby torsen then? coz it's smaller than johns one and then what dam supra did it come out of, did type r's have 2 spec'd diffs?

Thanks :)

[...]

RE: confuzzled about my diff :s   2003-07-21 19:15:00 <Hunt M>
Im sure that it wasnt just the type r that came out with a torsen diff???

so maybe it's a baby torsen then? coz it's smaller than johns one and then
what dam supra did it come out of, did type r's have 2 spec'd diffs?

Thanks :)

i have a diff which is definitely lsd buttttttttttt both cv's run the
same way and u "cannot" stop one turning. No it's not welded or else
they're the most magnificent invisible welds i've ever seen. Now it doesn't
appear that it's a torson (in a way) coz the cog wheel thingy is no where
near the size of John's one (Type R Supra) but heres a few links to some
pics i took of it, i would appreciate any enlightenment on this diff :)

www.spite.co.nz/diff1.jpg
www.spite.co.nz/diff2.jpg
www.spite.co.nz/diff3.jpg

RE: confuzzled about my diff :s   2003-07-21 19:30:00 <Cully Paterson>
One small problem with that - under no load a torsen counter rotates the output shafts when the input is turned (same as an open diff). An LSD both rotate in the same direction (as in both outputs rotate as if driving the car forward) even with no load on the diff (unless it's completely shagged).

Easiest way to tell Suze is to get the axle code off the chassis plate of the donor car and look it up here:
http://come.to/helene-and-matti

If it's not listed on that page then it's Torsen.

[...]

RE: confuzzled about my diff :s   2003-07-21 19:53:00 <john shannon>

Sorry sue it is nothing like my diff so it is definitely not a torsen iv just had a look at mine and it looks nothing like it.

>From: "Cully Paterson"
>Subject: [sconz] RE: confuzzled about my diff :s
>Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:17:20 +1200
>
>One small problem with that - under no load a torsen counter rotates the output shafts when the input is turned (same as an open diff). An LSD both rotate in the same direction (as in both outputs rotate as if driving the car forward) even with no load on the diff (unless it's completely shagged).
>
>Easiest way to tell Suze is to get the axle code off the chassis plate of the donor car and look it up here:
>http://come.to/helene-and-matti
>
>If it's not listed on that page then it's Torsen.
>
>Cully

With Xtra Jetstream - you don't need a separate phone line for the internet!

RE: confuzzled about my diff :s   2003-07-21 19:55:00 <Hunt M>
john come into the chat room thingy...... irc.supras.org.nz
in fact how come there is never anyone in there? whats your excuses?????

----
With Xtra Jetstream - you don't need a separate phone line for the
internet! ---

RE: confuzzled about my diff :s   2003-07-21 20:14:00 <blondebear>
just a thought why not make a clubnite in the chat room eg 8 o'clock Tuesdays and Thursdays just a thought

john come into the chat room thingy...... irc.supras.org.nz
in fact how come there is never anyone in there? whats your excuses?????

Sorry sue it is nothing like my diff so it is definitely not a torsen iv just had a look at mine and it looks nothing like it.

>From: "Cully Paterson"
>Subject: [sconz] RE: confuzzled about my diff :s
>Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:17:20 +1200
>
>One small problem with that - under no load a torsen counter rotates the output shafts when the input is turned (same as an open diff). An LSD both rotate in the same direction (as in both outputs rotate as if driving the car forward) even with no load on the diff (unless it's completely shagged).
>
>Easiest way to tell Suze is to get the axle code off the chassis plate of the donor car and look it up here:
>http://come.to/helene-and-matti
>
>If it's not listed on that page then it's Torsen.
>
>Cully

Supra Club of New Zealand
http://www.supras.org.nz/ ---

RE: confuzzled about my diff :s   2003-07-21 20:18:00 <Hunt M>
ok ppl in chat are libs, me, cruiser, john
most of the time its me cruiser and libs......so come on in guys

just a thought why not make a clubnite in the chat room eg 8 o'clock
Tuesdays and Thursdays just a thought

john come into the chat room thingy...... irc.supras.org.nz
in fact how come there is never anyone in there? whats your excuses?????

Sorry sue it is nothing like my diff so it is definitely not a torsen iv
just had a look at mine and it looks nothing like it.

>From: "Cully Paterson"
>Subject: [sconz] RE: confuzzled about my diff :s
>Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:17:20 +1200
>
>One small problem with that - under no load a torsen counter rotates the
output shafts when the input is turned (same as an open diff). An LSD both
rotate in the same direction (as in both outputs rotate as if driving the
car forward) even with no load on the diff (unless it's completely shagged).

>Easiest way to tell Suze is to get the axle code off the chassis plate of
the donor car and look it up here:
>http://come.to/helene-and-matti
>
>If it's not listed on that page then it's Torsen.
>
>Cully

RE: confuzzled about my diff :s   2003-07-22 08:39:00 <Parts Imports>
Yep its a torsen

RE: confuzzled about my diff :s   2003-07-22 10:02:00 <Stu & Suze>
hmmm i can't get the body tag off the donor car :( so i'll have to just drive it and find out lol
thanx all
oh is there anywhere on the diff itself i can find some sort of identifier for it?

[...]

RE: confuzzled about my diff :s   2003-07-22 10:06:00 <Cully Paterson>
Most Toyota LSDs have 'LSD' stamped on the back of them somehow (sometimes it's on a removable tag). Otherwise look for a stamped or embossed code that is a letter followed by three numbers, eg G305.

What did the diff come out of? ie Chassis, year, engine, trans?

[...]

RE: confuzzled about my diff :s   2003-07-22 10:44:00 <Peter Nield (DSL AK)>
If you look at the photos that Suze supplied, there's a worm gear with its
axis parallel to the plane of the Crown wheel (sorry to those of you who
can't follow the geometry terms...). Those are only in Torsen-type diffs.

Also note the lack of plates, and that you can *just* see the output pinion.

It could be a Quaiffe unit - since they make "drop in" replacements for just
about any diff (OEM Open and OEM LSD), I suspect that's what it is.

_____

http://come.to/helene-and-matti <http://come.to/helene-and-matti>

If it's not listed on that page then it's Torsen.

i have a diff which is definitely lsd buttttttttttt both cv's run the same
way and u "cannot" stop one turning. No it's not welded or else they're the
most magnificent invisible welds i've ever seen. Now it doesn't appear that
it's a torson (in a way) coz the cog wheel thingy is no where near the size
of John's one (Type R Supra) but heres a few links to some pics i took of
it, i would appreciate any enlightenment on this diff :)

www.spite.co.nz/diff1.jpg <http://www.spite.co.nz/diff1.jpg>
www.spite.co.nz/diff2.jpg <http://www.spite.co.nz/diff2.jpg>
www.spite.co.nz/diff3.jpg <http://www.spite.co.nz/diff3.jpg>

RE: confuzzled about my diff :s   2003-07-22 10:56:00 <Peter O>
I was under the impression Torsens were superior to the standard LSD, & more
costly.
Anyone care to speculate how this diff got fitted without the present owner
inheriting knowledge of it's presence.
I have not heard or seen much here to suggest the std Supra LSD is other
than very reliable & rugged.
Were any Supras made without LSD ?

Pete