Turbo upgrade   2003-07-27 19:39:00 <Hunt M>
Hey all,
After a little info really.....
As most will notice the CT-12 turbos off a 1G-GTE are about as small as you
can get and I noticed that the 1JZ turbos are of a good size.....for a 2L
anyways.....now I think Cully mentioned something about this before and that
the CT-12's and the CT12A's have almost nothing in common and are a
different turbo all together....BUT.... what i'm wondering is, is it
possible without 100's of hours off effort....possible to get the CT-12A's
off a 1JZ onto my engine? and NO I DON'T want to go single turbo
conversion!! ;-)
Or maybe not a 1JZ turbo conversion but some sort of twin turbo set up that
is bigger that the std 1G setup and of around the same size as the 1JZ

Thanks guys
Hunt Moorhouse
Internet Helpdesk Technician | Customer Service Representative

Auckland, New Zealand
email: hunt.moorhouse@staff.ihug.co.nz | mobile: (021) 043-6393

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-27 19:42:00 <Cully Paterson>
It's possible, but CT12As are expensive, difficult to find, and unreliable. A good single turbo conversion will be cheaper and more bang for buck.

[...]

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-27 19:43:00 <Headquarters>
whats sparked all this hunt???
u feeling threatened by the 3sge-t? :P

Libby Cameron

Bugger the rest... TOYOTAS DA BEST!!!!!

www.toyperformance.org.nz
[...]

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-27 19:45:00 <Headquarters>
you have a "thing" for single turbo conversion dont u cully lol

[...]

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-27 19:45:00 <Hunt M>
Obviously missed the part about "I DON'T WANT TO GO SINGLE TURBO" hahha
I'd much rather go for the twins.....but the 1G's are pathetic....what two
would you recommend??

[...]

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-27 19:47:00 <Cully Paterson>
No, it's just pointless trying to do a good twin turbo upgrade. Way too expensive, no particular gain involved.

[...]

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-27 19:48:00 <Hunt M>
no i just figured that seeing as the CT-12's cant really handle any more
than about 6-8psi each and stay reliable and also not be flowing alot i'd
rather have something that runs at 10psi but flows like a who*e :)
oh and libs i dont feel threatened but I do know that you would beat me! I
mean my best is only a 15.3 which wont be hard to beat....hahah

[...]

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-27 19:48:00 <Cully Paterson>
No, I didn't miss it. There's no point trying to do a twin upgrade, as there's nothing that will bolt on. That means fabricating new stuff. That means it's cheaper and easier to do a single. Twin's are very plumbing intensive and difficult to fabricate from scratch.
[...]

http://www.supras.org.nz/ ---

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-27 19:50:00 <Hunt M>
yes but you wont be in a car that weighs 1500kg

never know hunt, we'l both be having traction problems...

[...]

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-27 19:50:00 <Headquarters>
[...]

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-27 19:52:00 <Headquarters>
nah, take off about 250-300kg's.... and if its the one im hoping to get in a week or so, i wont even have the problem of pitch on launching like most fwd cars do

[...]

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-27 20:11:00 <Hunt M>
OK so "IF" I were to "think" about going to a single turbo.....what would
you recommend? A CT26? How about a manifold? Customer make one?

[...]

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-27 20:12:00 <Headquarters>
hehe, u aint getting my ct26....
[...]

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-27 20:46:00 <Peter O>
Cully,

You may have already answered but what single turbos do you think are
sufficiently reliable long term for 14 psi boost & are reasonably priced &
manageable from a fitting perspective.
Is a Garret turbo an option I hear they are generally very good?

Pete
[...]

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-27 21:33:00 <J Walker>
Just turn the boost up man..don't write the turbos off until you've rung them out!
[...]

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-27 21:36:00 <J Walker>
I know my twins will blow eventually, so I plan to acquire a NON ceramic ct-26 and get it t04 conversted. Should be good for 18-20PSI on a 2L??
[...]

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-27 22:02:00 <Hunt M>
well i have another 4 at home hahah
altho 2 are a little *bung* but still in reas condition and still very
useable....and the other two are pretty mint.....mmmmm 18psi hahah jokes
;-)

[...]

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-27 22:08:00 <Headquarters>
time to sell tickets to watch hunt blow his turboes now is it....lol

[...]

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-27 22:14:00 <Hunt M>
lol.....no no i'm gonna save them for when i blow them from regular wear and
tear from no BOV

[...]

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-28 09:21:00 <Cully Paterson>

>OK so "IF" I were to "think" about going to a single turbo.....what would
you
>recommend? A CT26?

Hell no. Toyota turbos just blow goats. A CT26 on a 1G is just lag city
and no very drivable. My own personal preference on a 1G would be to find
either an RB20 or RB25 Skyline turbo. They're based on a Garrett T3 which
is about the most common turbo around. They're ceramic, and good for around
14psi reliably, however if you bust them they can be steel-shafted. The '25
turbo has a larger compressor, so would be the better one to have power
wise.

The problem with trying to mate a non-Toyota turbo to a Toyota is that the
stock turbos have a turbine housing that curls in the opposite direction to
nearly every other turbo in existance. That leads to mounting problems with
things getting in the way etc. I'd personally be inclined to get a custom
manifold made, as you can get them done well for around $800 and the result
will be lightyears better than bodging something up onto the stock manifold.

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-28 16:25:00 <glenzplace@...>
Hence why I refer to my Supra as a "Japanese Tank." lol.

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-28 18:58:00 <Rob M>
So is that about the $$'s that a custom exhaust manifold for the 7M running
an external waste gate would be?

Rob M.
> >OK so "IF" I were to "think" about going to a single turbo.....what would
> you
> >recommend? A CT26?
>
> Hell no. Toyota turbos just blow goats. A CT26 on a 1G is just lag city
> and no very drivable. My own personal preference on a 1G would be to
find
> either an RB20 or RB25 Skyline turbo. They're based on a Garrett T3 which
> is about the most common turbo around. They're ceramic, and good for
around
> 14psi reliably, however if you bust them they can be steel-shafted. The
'25
> turbo has a larger compressor, so would be the better one to have power
> wise.
>
> The problem with trying to mate a non-Toyota turbo to a Toyota is that the
> stock turbos have a turbine housing that curls in the opposite direction
> nearly every other turbo in existance. That leads to mounting problems
with
> things getting in the way etc. I'd personally be inclined to get a custom
> manifold made, as you can get them done well for around $800 and the
result
> will be lightyears better than bodging something up onto the stock
manifold.

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-28 18:59:00 <Cully Paterson>
Roughly, yeah. Remember that's just for the bare manifold. Add on oil
piping, water pipes, downpipe etc etc.

> So is that about the $$'s that a custom exhaust manifold for the 7M
running
> an external waste gate would be?
>
> Rob M.

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-28 19:08:00 <Headquarters>
excluding buying the turbo, all quotes ive had including manifold piping,
brakes upgrade etc have come to less than $1000, as i havent had to pay for
injectors or anything thanks to friends and other parts that im getting for
nothing from sum gt4 owners in auckland

Libby Cameron

Bugger the rest... TOYOTAS DA BEST!!!!!

www.toyperformance.org.nz
> Roughly, yeah. Remember that's just for the bare manifold. Add on oil
> piping, water pipes, downpipe etc etc.

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-28 19:15:00 <Cully Paterson>
So how are you handling fueling/ignition when you turbo it?

> excluding buying the turbo, all quotes ive had including manifold piping,
> brakes upgrade etc have come to less than $1000, as i havent had to pay
for
> injectors or anything thanks to friends and other parts that im getting
for
> nothing from sum gt4 owners in auckland
>
> Libby Cameron
>
> Bugger the rest... TOYOTAS DA BEST!!!!!
>
> www.toyperformance.org.nz

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-28 19:21:00 <Headquarters>
im currently waiting to find out if a guy i know in auckland has a gt4
computer, and im also getting other parts off him as well. there is a shed
up there full of gt4 parts and there aint much difference between a gt4 and
a gtr other than turbo and drivetrain
the engines are almost identical except for compression, they also run the
same basic efi system except injectors

Libby Cameron

Bugger the rest... TOYOTAS DA BEST!!!!!

www.toyperformance.org.nz
> So how are you handling fueling/ignition when you turbo it?

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-28 21:58:00 <J Walker>
Bugger that, the next time I have to spend more than $800 on my 2 litre I'm flogging it and buying an MA-70. Hell if I could find a nice manual facelift one I'd prob buy it. As you all know I was tempted by the JZA twin turbo R for sale down here a while back, but being an automatic, I decided against it. There's no replacement for displacement ;)
>OK so "IF" I were to "think" about going to a single turbo.....what would
you
>recommend? A CT26?

Hell no. Toyota turbos just blow goats. A CT26 on a 1G is just lag city
and no very drivable. My own personal preference on a 1G would be to find
either an RB20 or RB25 Skyline turbo. They're based on a Garrett T3 which
is about the most common turbo around. They're ceramic, and good for around
14psi reliably, however if you bust them they can be steel-shafted. The '25
turbo has a larger compressor, so would be the better one to have power
wise.

The problem with trying to mate a non-Toyota turbo to a Toyota is that the
stock turbos have a turbine housing that curls in the opposite direction to
nearly every other turbo in existance. That leads to mounting problems with
things getting in the way etc. I'd personally be inclined to get a custom
manifold made, as you can get them done well for around $800 and the result
will be lightyears better than bodging something up onto the stock manifold.

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-30 20:19:00 <john shannon>

Hi Jwalker the type R auto have you had a chance to drive one i to did not think the auto type R was up to much untill i got mine i should take you out in it one day and you will see for your self.

>From: "J Walker"
>Subject: [sconz] Re: Turbo upgrade
>Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:03:50 +1200
>
>Bugger that, the next time I have to spend more than $800 on my 2 litre I'm flogging it and buying an MA-70. Hell if I could find a nice manual facelift one I'd prob buy it. As you all know I was tempted by the JZA twin turbo R for sale down here a while back, but being an automatic, I decided against it. There's no replacement for displacement ;)

Find your perfect match @ XtraMSN Personals!

Re: Turbo upgrade   2003-07-30 20:33:00 <J Walker>
I took one for a spank. The one I was looking at buying..had 17" advanti's and contenentals. It was hard! I'll give it that, but considering without spending $$$$ you can't make it go ALOT harder than it does. I'd rather have a 5sp ma70. That's where I'm going, because only that would I be happy bolting a gt30 onto ;-)