my first supra bhg :(   2003-08-08 22:19:00 <Spite Performance>
well last nite i got my brand new go fast bits boost tap and i wound her up a little to 7psi and it was like woohooooo that's so much better than 5.9 then i wound it up to 8psi then my car jerked and idled like a bag of #@#% and only ran on 5 cylinders and blew steam everywhere and omg it was terrible my poor baby
so at the mo she's at the workshop just about ready to pull the head off got a couple more hoses yet to pull off but it's all good, i lifted the cam covers and my cams look absolutely lovely shiney and silver and clean and no white murkey stuff but my oil cap is full of the typical bhg symptom lol
soooooo i am now gonna do all the good head stuff
so any little tips or little things i should do while it's off?

on another note has anyone got any 7mge cams?

RE: my first supra bhg :(   2003-08-09 09:52:00 <Peter O>
Suze,

You hurt your baby !!
It's happened to most of us so smile & keep at it.

Some time ago Cully confirmed that any HG repair should desirably include a
light head grind to clean up the face & provide that perfect mating face for
the gasket.
Easy enough to do this, grind should not be too course.
The engine block may also need a light grind for the same reason, but it's
less likely due to cast iron material.
Be sure to carefully clean up the face.

You also need advice (which I cannot provide) about replacing head
studs/bolts & about subsequent torque up procedures, both key issues to
avoid further potential trouble.

Good luck

Pete
well last nite i got my brand new go fast bits boost tap and i wound her
up a little to 7psi and it was like woohooooo that's so much better than 5.9
then i wound it up to 8psi then my car jerked and idled like a bag of #@#%
and only ran on 5 cylinders and blew steam everywhere and omg it was
terrible my poor baby
so at the mo she's at the workshop just about ready to pull the head off
got a couple more hoses yet to pull off but it's all good, i lifted the cam
covers and my cams look absolutely lovely shiney and silver and clean and no
white murkey stuff but my oil cap is full of the typical bhg symptom lol
soooooo i am now gonna do all the good head stuff
so any little tips or little things i should do while it's off?

on another note has anyone got any 7mge cams?

Re: my first supra bhg :(   2003-08-09 10:08:00 <Cully Paterson>
>so any little tips or little things i should do while it's off?
>on another note has anyone got any 7mge cams?

Here's a tip - Don't put in 7MGE cams!

Re: my first supra bhg :(   2003-08-09 10:55:00 <Parts Imports>
ARP head studs

> >so any little tips or little things i should do while it's off?
> >on another note has anyone got any 7mge cams?
>
> Here's a tip - Don't put in 7MGE cams!

Re: my first supra bhg :(   2003-08-09 18:09:00 <Hunt M>
overlap = boost goes in and boost goes out and your engine doesnt end up
seeing any??

> >so any little tips or little things i should do while it's off?
> >on another note has anyone got any 7mge cams?
>
> Here's a tip - Don't put in 7MGE cams!

Re: my first supra bhg :(   2003-08-10 17:57:00 <Spite Performance>
why is that?

> >so any little tips or little things i should do while it's off?
> >on another note has anyone got any 7mge cams?
>
> Here's a tip - Don't put in 7MGE cams!

Thank you

Spite Performance
0800 PH SPITE
444 1822

Re: my first supra bhg :(   2003-08-10 17:57:00 <Spite Performance>
what's the dollars on those?

> ARP head studs

Thank you

Spite Performance
0800 PH SPITE
444 1822

Re: my first supra bhg :(   2003-08-10 18:35:00 <Stuart>
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:48, you wrote:
> what's the dollars on those?
>
> > ARP head studs

Why? about the only 'advantage' of these is that they are less strong than the
stock bolts, and harder to get an accurate torque on (and lets ignore the
marketing, there are double the number of contact surfaces, therefore there
is more room for torquing errors).

Head studs are ONLY an advantage on alloy blocks, where stripping the threads
out of the block with repeated re-torquings can be an issue - hands up
everyone who has managed to strip a thread out of a supra case iron block??

Stuart W.

Re: my first supra bhg :(   2003-08-10 18:47:00 <Cully Paterson>
The NA cams will raise your exhaust gas temperatures and cook your turbo in
no time.

> > >so any little tips or little things i should do while it's off?
> > >on another note has anyone got any 7mge cams?
> >
> > Here's a tip - Don't put in 7MGE cams!
> >
> > Cully

> Thank you
>

> Spite Performance
> 0800 PH SPITE
> 444 1822

Re: my first supra bhg :(   2003-08-10 22:29:00 <Rob M>
In the past there used to HKS cams for the 7MGTE. Anyone know what benefit
they provided & where can specs be sourced?
[John Shannon has HKS cams in his 1JZ Type R which seem to increase torque
significantly]

Rob M.