I know i go on about it but.,.... CT12a's   2003-08-09 14:28:00 <adrian@...>
Hey i got the 3" exhaust on now.
the turbos are playing games with me now.

i was wondering what options are now.

1) buy another 1JZ and use the turbos from that
2) try have them rebuilt
3) try and source a single turbo and manifold and down pipe something capable of up to 450-500hp :/
4) live with it

with option 1 i dont really know the condition of the turbos on the other engine, option 2 thgeres the chance they'll shatter not long after rebuild, option 3 have to save alot or take out a loan hmmmm, and option 4 - will prob get me a ticket :|

what are your guys views?

oh and how can i tell exactly which turbo would be fukkered?

thanks in advance.

Adrian
1992 JZA70

Re: I know i go on about it but.,.... CT12a's   2003-08-09 14:41:00 <Cully Paterson>

----- Original Message -----
From: <adrian@clubaw.co.nz>
Subject: [sconz] I know i go on about it but.,.... CT12a's

> the turbos are playing games with me now.
> i was wondering what options are now.
>
> 1) buy another 1JZ and use the turbos from that
> 2) try have them rebuilt
> 3) try and source a single turbo and manifold and down pipe something
capable of up to 450-500hp :/
> 4) live with it

It's hard to find a JZ with turbos that you'd trust. Seems a bit of an
expensive way to go when there's nothing wrong with your engine.

Rebuild is a perfectly good option if you've got one that's already on the
fritz. If you don't fix it it's only going to bust anyway.

Single turbo conversion you're looking around $2500-3000 to do the turbo
before you even get into doing fuel system etc.

> oh and how can i tell exactly which turbo would be fukkered?

90% chance it'll be the rear one.

Re: I know i go on about it but.,.... CT12a's   2003-08-09 18:09:00 <Hunt M>
why 90% chance its the rear one?? cos its hardest to get to? haha

> > the turbos are playing games with me now.
> > i was wondering what options are now.
> >
> > 1) buy another 1JZ and use the turbos from that
> > 2) try have them rebuilt
> > 3) try and source a single turbo and manifold and down pipe something
> capable of up to 450-500hp :/
> > 4) live with it
>

> It's hard to find a JZ with turbos that you'd trust. Seems a bit of an
> expensive way to go when there's nothing wrong with your engine.
>
> Rebuild is a perfectly good option if you've got one that's already on the
> fritz. If you don't fix it it's only going to bust anyway.
>
> Single turbo conversion you're looking around $2500-3000 to do the turbo
> before you even get into doing fuel system etc.
>

> > oh and how can i tell exactly which turbo would be fukkered?
>
> 90% chance it'll be the rear one.

Re: I know i go on about it but.,.... CT12a's   2003-08-09 19:17:00 <john shannon>

Hi do you need some ct12a if so i have got some let me now.

>From: "Cully Paterson"
>Subject: [sconz] Re: I know i go on about it but.,.... CT12a's
>Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 14:21:32 +1200

Surf the net and talk on the phone with Xtra Jetstream!

Re: I know i go on about it but.,.... CT12a's   2003-08-10 18:40:00 <Cully Paterson>
Because it's the one that gets the hottest.

> why 90% chance its the rear one?? cos its hardest to get to? haha

Re: I know i go on about it but.,.... CT12a's   2003-08-20 13:39:00 <Adrian Maka>
Ok have my housings off the turbos and the front turbo's exhaust wheel is
covered in oil. (well cooked on sludge)

The only thing i can think of why this one failed was due to a faulty
wastegate actuator. Apparently its been leaking therefore making the
wastegate stay closed. This would have been making it spin more than needed
to make the 10-11psi to open the WG actuator. as its trying to fill up the
actuators diaphram but bleeding it off. The the rear turbo was just
fine. but i guess leave it off huh and use the others.

anwyyas thanks..
should be getting a spare set of CT12a's this weekend.

At 06:20 PM 8/10/2003 +1200, you wrote:
>Because it's the one that gets the hottest.

Re: I know i go on about it but.,.... CT12a's   2003-08-20 13:52:00 <Cully Paterson>

> Ok have my housings off the turbos and the front turbo's
> exhaust wheel is covered in oil. (well cooked on sludge)

Um, how did you take the turbine housing off? That's what usually kills ceramic turbos during recon - getting the housing off is a delicate job...

> The only thing i can think of why this one failed was due to a faulty
> wastegate actuator. Apparently its been leaking therefore making the
> wastegate stay closed. This would have been making it spin
> more than needed
> to make the 10-11psi to open the WG actuator. as its trying
> to fill up the
> actuators diaphram but bleeding it off. The the rear turbo was just
> fine. but i guess leave it off huh and use the others.

If the turbo was overspeeding then the thrust bearing should be noticably shagged - you'll have a millimetre or more play front-to-back on the shaft.

This won't necessarily cause the failure though. If the thrust is well knackered then the piston ring will butt up against the step in the bearing housing and fail. Otherwise if the turbos have been subject to a lack of oil changes or bad oil then you could see exactly the same symptoms due to the bearing housing being gunged up and forcing oil past the piston ring.

Don't pull the turbo down any further unless you've got someone who knows what they're doing with turbos. Bring it in to Alltech if you want it looked at properly - it may be salvagable, and a good turbo is better to have than one you've wrecked through lack of proper procedure.

Re: I know i go on about it but.,.... CT12a's   2003-08-20 13:58:00 <Adrian Maka>
A local turbo place did it for me. :) me not THAT stupid hehee

all i have to do now is have the turbos put on in the weekend and wait for
the downpipe and go for gold...

hope its not off the road for much longer.

Re: I know i go on about it but.,.... CT12a's   2003-08-20 14:09:00 <stuartw@...>
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Cully Paterson wrote:

> > Ok have my housings off the turbos and the front turbo's
> > exhaust wheel is covered in oil. (well cooked on sludge)
>
> Um, how did you take the turbine housing off? That's what usually kills ceramic turbos during recon - getting the housing off is a delicate job...

I'm guessing this is just the result of unbolting the front pipe from the
turbo and looking at the visible part of the wheel??

Stuart W.

Re: I know i go on about it but.,.... CT12a's   2003-08-20 14:11:00 <Adrian Maka>
No this was with the exhaust housing removed..

Will take the digicam home tonight and take some pics.

At 03:03 PM 8/20/2003 +1200, you wrote:
>On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Cully Paterson wrote:
>

> > > Ok have my housings off the turbos and the front turbo's
> > > exhaust wheel is covered in oil. (well cooked on sludge)
> >
> > Um, how did you take the turbine housing off? That's what usually
> kills ceramic turbos during recon - getting the housing off is a delicate
> job...
>
>I'm guessing this is just the result of unbolting the front pipe from the
>turbo and looking at the visible part of the wheel??
>
>Stuart W.

Re: I know i go on about it but.,.... CT12a's   2003-08-20 14:11:00 <Cully Paterson>
> > > Ok have my housings off the turbos and the front turbo's
> > > exhaust wheel is covered in oil. (well cooked on sludge)
> >
> > Um, how did you take the turbine housing off? That's what usually kills
ceramic turbos during recon - getting the housing off is a delicate job...

> I'm guessing this is just the result of unbolting the front pipe from the
> turbo and looking at the visible part of the wheel??

Wrong end dude...

Re: I know i go on about it but.,.... CT12a's   2003-08-20 14:19:00 <Doig, Richard>

> Wrong end dude...

I think Stu is just confused having one turbo face forward and the other
face backwards... :-P

Richard

error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.
For more information on the Air New Zealand Group, visit us online
at http://www.airnewzealand.com

Re: I know i go on about it but.,.... CT12a's   2003-08-20 14:21:00 <Cully Paterson>

> > Wrong end dude...
>
> I think Stu is just confused having one turbo face forward and the other
> face backwards... :-P

You think it was that technical? I just put it down to good old fashioned
insanity ;-)