Fw: Type R question   2003-10-03 11:57:00 <Hunt M>
Interesting reply from the supras.com mailing list

From: "drjonez" <drjonez@ffdet.com>
To: <5uprah@supras.co.nz>; <supras@supras.com>
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 2:10 AM
Subject: RE: Type R question

> you've got your terminology messed up:
>
> there were only 500 "turbo A" models produced in late '88 for
homologation.

> there was never a "type R" MKIII (this is afterall, NOT a honduh...).
>
> there was, however, a 2.5 twin turbo R model (R denoting its recaro
> interior). there are no hard numbers on the number of 2.5tt Rs produced,
> though its probably not that many considering they were only around for
> '91 - '93, but i'd guess its more than 500.
>
> for more info on years/changes/models, see mkiiitech.com.
>

> adam h.
> www.4cefed.com

Re: Fw: Type R question   2003-10-03 11:59:00 <Cully Paterson>
Interesting in that it's exactly what I said a couple of weeks back?

> Interesting reply from the supras.com mailing list

Re: Fw: Type R question   2003-10-03 12:07:00 <Hunt M>
ummm yeah sure i'll go with that lol

> Interesting in that it's exactly what I said a couple of weeks back?

Re: Fw: Type R question   2003-10-03 14:03:00 <Nick Clewer>
Tell you the truth Hunt I didnt expect a Kiwi to have asked that
question on there, a Yank yes as they never got the cars and are
shielded from the rest of the world.

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 09:56, Hunt M wrote:
> Interesting reply from the supras.com mailing list

----------
Nick Clewer
Winshop Internet Pty Ltd
http://www.winshop.com.au
nickc@winshop.com.au

Re: Fw: Type R question   2003-10-05 20:15:00 <Suze *Spite Me*>
well i now have that type r article in my hot little hands so i shall scan
it in tonite :)

>From: "Cully Paterson" <cully@supras.org.nz>
>Subject: [sconz] Re: Fw: Type R question
>Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:00:35 +1200
>
>Interesting in that it's exactly what I said a couple of weeks back?

Download MSN Messenger @ http://messenger.xtramsn.co.nz - talk to family
and friends overseas!

Re: Fw: Type R question   2003-10-05 20:17:00 <Hunt M>
there is no type r
there is a turbo r
and a turbo a

> well i now have that type r article in my hot little hands so i shall scan
> it in tonite :)
>

> >From: "Cully Paterson" <cully@supras.org.nz>
> >Subject: [sconz] Re: Fw: Type R question
> >Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:00:35 +1200
> >
> >Interesting in that it's exactly what I said a couple of weeks back?

Re: Fw: Type R question   2003-10-05 22:34:00 <Marc Archbold>
Correct me if im wrong, the point is there is no such 'group' (as in Group
A, N, WRC etc) as 'type-R' this is simply marketing speak/marketing
designation, and Honda were the people who coined it.

> well i now have that type r article in my hot little hands so i shall scan
> it in tonite :)

Re: Fw: Type R question   2003-10-06 19:34:00 <john shannon>

The type R only means race spec thay had to make 500 type Rs so thay can race them and it dos not mean recaro unless the evos and legacy are type R to becouse thay all so come with recaros to.

>From: Marc Archbold
>Subject: [sconz] Re: Fw: Type R question
>Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 22:33:57 +1300
>
>Correct me if im wrong, the point is there is no such 'group' (as in Group
>A, N, WRC etc) as 'type-R' this is simply marketing speak/marketing
>designation, and Honda were the people who coined it.
>

> > well i now have that type r article in my hot little hands so i shall scan
> > it in tonite :)

With Xtra Jetstream - you can surf the net and talk on the phone!

Re: Fw: Type R question   2003-10-06 20:03:00 <Nick Clewer>
Please read above messages, you are getting confused with the TurboA (7M
Powered) Supra. They were homogalated (spelling I know) for GroupA
Racing.

The "Type R" was not anything special, just was Toyota Sports Version of
the JZA70. It's also not a "Type R" as Honda will sue you. It's a
TwinTurbo R.

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 16:33, john shannon wrote:
> The type R only means race spec thay had to make 500 type Rs so thay
> can race them and it dos not mean recaro unless the evos and legacy
> are type R to becouse thay all so come with recaros to.
>

> >From: Marc Archbold
> >Subject: [sconz] Re: Fw: Type R question
> >Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 22:33:57 +1300
> >
> >Correct me if im wrong, the point is there is no such 'group' (as in
> Group
> >A, N, WRC etc) as 'type-R' this is simply marketing speak/marketing
> >designation, and Honda were the people who coined it.
> >

> > > well i now have that type r article in my hot little hands so i
> shall scan
> > > it in tonite :)
> > >

> >---
> >Supra Club of New Zealand
> >http://www.supras.org.nz/

> With Xtra Jetstream - you can surf the net and talk on the phone! ---
----------
Nick Clewer
Winshop Internet Pty Ltd
http://www.winshop.com.au
nickc@winshop.com.au

Re: Fw: Type R question   2003-10-06 20:10:00 <Suze *Spite Me*>
i am currently uploading the r supra article at the mo so links will be on
the way soon :)

>From: Nick Clewer <nickc@winshop.com.au>
>Subject: [sconz] Re: Fw: Type R question
>Date: 06 Oct 2003 17:02:10 +1000
>
>Please read above messages, you are getting confused with the TurboA (7M
>Powered) Supra. They were homogalated (spelling I know) for GroupA
>Racing.
>
>The "Type R" was not anything special, just was Toyota Sports Version of
>the JZA70. It's also not a "Type R" as Honda will sue you. It's a
>TwinTurbo R.
>

>On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 16:33, john shannon wrote:
> > The type R only means race spec thay had to make 500 type Rs so thay
> > can race them and it dos not mean recaro unless the evos and legacy
> > are type R to becouse thay all so come with recaros to.
> >

> > >From: Marc Archbold
> > >Subject: [sconz] Re: Fw: Type R question
> > >Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 22:33:57 +1300
> > >
> > >Correct me if im wrong, the point is there is no such 'group' (as in
> > Group
> > >A, N, WRC etc) as 'type-R' this is simply marketing speak/marketing
> > >designation, and Honda were the people who coined it.

> > shall scan
> > > >

> > >---
> > >Supra Club of New Zealand
> > >http://www.supras.org.nz/

> > With Xtra Jetstream - you can surf the net and talk on the phone! ---
>--
>----------
>Nick Clewer
>Winshop Internet Pty Ltd
>http://www.winshop.com.au
>nickc@winshop.com.au

Find your perfect match @ http://personals.xtramsn.co.nz with XtraMSN
Personals!

Re: Fw: Type R question   2003-10-06 20:11:00 <john shannon>

Sorry ford was first with the rs seirra cosworth TYPE R in 1985 got it in front of me in black and white

>From: Nick Clewer
>Subject: [sconz] Re: Fw: Type R question
>Date: 06 Oct 2003 17:02:10 +1000
>
>Please read above messages, you are getting confused with the TurboA (7M
>Powered) Supra. They were homogalated (spelling I know) for GroupA
>Racing.
>
>The "Type R" was not anything special, just was Toyota Sports Version of
>the JZA70. It's also not a "Type R" as Honda will sue you. It's a
>TwinTurbo R.
>

>On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 16:33, john shannon wrote:
> > The type R only means race spec thay had to make 500 type Rs so thay
> > can race them and it dos not mean recaro unless the evos and legacy
> > are type R to becouse thay all so come with recaros to.
> >

> > >From: Marc Archbold
> > >Subject: [sconz] Re: Fw: Type R question
> > >Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 22:33:57 +1300
> > >
> > >Correct me if im wrong, the point is there is no such 'group' (as in
> > Group
> > >A, N, WRC etc) as 'type-R' this is simply marketing speak/marketing
> > >designation, and Honda were the people who coined it.

> > shall scan
> > > >

> > >---
> > >Supra Club of New Zealand
> > >http://www.supras.org.nz/

> > With Xtra Jetstream - you can surf the net and talk on the phone! ---
>--
>----------
>Nick Clewer
>Winshop Internet Pty Ltd
>http://www.winshop.com.au
>nickc@winshop.com.au

Surf the net and talk on the phone with Xtra Jetstream!

Re: Fw: Type R question   2003-10-06 21:01:00 <Nick Clewer>
That's nice dear.

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 17:11, john shannon wrote:
> Sorry ford was first with the rs seirra cosworth TYPE R in 1985 got it
> in front of me in black and white
>

> >From: Nick Clewer
> >Subject: [sconz] Re: Fw: Type R question
> >Date: 06 Oct 2003 17:02:10 +1000
> >
> >Please read above messages, you are getting confused with the TurboA
> (7M
> >Powered) Supra. They were homogalated (spelling I know) for GroupA
> >Racing.
> >
> >The "Type R" was not anything special, just was Toyota Sports Version
> of
> >the JZA70. It's also not a "Type R" as Honda will sue you. It's a
> >TwinTurbo R.
> >

> >On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 16:33, john shannon wrote:
> > > The type R only means race spec thay had to make 500 type Rs so
> thay
> > > can race them and it dos not mean recaro unless the evos and
> legacy
> > > are type R to becouse thay all so come with recaros to.

> in
> > > Group
> speak/marketing

> > > shall scan

> > > With Xtra Jetstream - you can surf the net and talk on the phone!
> ---
> > > Supra Club of New Zealand
> >http://www.supras.org.nz/
> >--
> >----------
> >Nick Clewer
> >Winshop Internet Pty Ltd
> >http://www.winshop.com.au
> >nickc@winshop.com.au
> >

> >---
> >Supra Club of New Zealand
> >http://www.supras.org.nz/

> Surf the net and talk on the phone with Xtra Jetstream! ---
----------
Nick Clewer
Winshop Internet Pty Ltd
http://www.winshop.com.au
nickc@winshop.com.au

Re: Fw: Type R question   2003-10-06 21:06:00 <Stuart>
On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 20:11, you wrote:
> Sorry ford was first with the rs seirra cosworth TYPE R in 1985 got it in
> front of me in black and white

Except that the supra is NOT a type-R, it is simply an R, and it mainly
denotes the recaro interior and lower options level.

In exactly the same was as the GT is not a type-GT.

Toyota has not made Type-R supras.

Stuart.

Re: Fw: Type R question   2003-10-06 21:08:00 <Suze *Spite Me*>
here's the links to the article :) (i apologise for the ads in advance, i
couldn't really find anywhere else to put them that had the space :s )

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/supasupra/type_r_article1.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/mech/supasupra/type_r_article2.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/mech/supasupra/type_r_article3.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/mech/supasupra/type_r_article4.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/mech/supasupra/type_r_article5.jpg

Gaming galore at http://xtramsn.co.nz/gaming !

Re: Fw: Type R question   2003-10-06 21:37:00 <john shannon>

YOU BENT OR WHAT ?

>From: Nick Clewer
>Subject: [sconz] Re: Fw: Type R question
>Date: 06 Oct 2003 18:00:42 +1000
>
>That's nice dear.
>
>On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 17:11, john shannon wrote:
> > Sorry ford was first with the rs seirra cosworth TYPE R in 1985 got it
> > in front of me in black and white
> >

> > >From: Nick Clewer
> > >Subject: [sconz] Re: Fw: Type R question
> > >Date: 06 Oct 2003 17:02:10 +1000
> > >
> > >Please read above messages, you are getting confused with the TurboA
> > (7M
> > >Powered) Supra. They were homogalated (spelling I know) for GroupA
> > >Racing.
> > >
> > >The "Type R" was not anything special, just was Toyota Sports Version
> > of
> > >the JZA70. It's also not a "Type R" as Honda will sue you. It's a
> > >TwinTurbo R.

> > thay
> > legacy

> > in
> > speak/marketing

> > ---
> > >http://www.supras.org.nz/
> > >--
> > >----------
> > >Nick Clewer
> > >Winshop Internet Pty Ltd
> > >http://www.winshop.com.au
> > >nickc@winshop.com.au
> > >

> > >---
> > >Supra Club of New Zealand
> > >http://www.supras.org.nz/

> > Surf the net and talk on the phone with Xtra Jetstream! ---
>--
>----------
>Nick Clewer
>Winshop Internet Pty Ltd
>http://www.winshop.com.au
>nickc@winshop.com.au

Surf the net and talk on the phone with Xtra Jetstream!

Re: Fw: Type R question   2003-10-06 21:49:00 <Marc Archbold>
What racing 'group' would require minimum 500 production? Are you sure
you're not confusing this 'R' with rally homologation?

Suze's article calls it a 'Turbo 'R', appears convincingly marketing
speak/designation to me.

The type R only means race spec thay had to make 500 type Rs so thay can
race them and it dos not mean recaro unless the evos and legacy are type R
to becouse thay all so come with recaros to.

>From: Marc Archbold
>Subject: [sconz] Re: Fw: Type R question
>Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 22:33:57 +1300
>
>Correct me if im wrong, the point is there is no such 'group' (as in Group
>A, N, WRC etc) as 'type-R' this is simply marketing speak/marketing
>designation, and Honda were the people who coined it.

Re: Fw: Type R question   2003-10-07 08:57:00 <Cully Paterson>
OK, if you believe all the stuff in this Aussie performance mag (big hint
there) then you'll be mistaken.

- There were NOT 500-only built, I've already looked at the run over chassis
numbers - there were several thousand.
- I'm really curious as to how TEMS is supposed to be self leveling
suspension
- The pre-Mk-IV style wheels were not JZA80-GTTR only. I know of several
MA70's that had them stock, in 1989 even.
- The "R only extended air dam" is common to all *A70 Supras - it just
usually gets ripped off on nasty driveways.

> here's the links to the article :) (i apologise for the ads in advance, i
> couldn't really find anywhere else to put them that had the space :s )
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/mech/supasupra/type_r_article1.jpg
> http://www.angelfire.com/mech/supasupra/type_r_article2.jpg
> http://www.angelfire.com/mech/supasupra/type_r_article3.jpg
> http://www.angelfire.com/mech/supasupra/type_r_article4.jpg
> http://www.angelfire.com/mech/supasupra/type_r_article5.jpg

> Gaming galore at http://xtramsn.co.nz/gaming !

Re: Fw: Type R question   2003-10-07 10:25:00 <Andy S>
A few more mistakes
*JZA70 did not come in normally aspirated version
*Facelift taillights and bumpers were not JZA70 only
*Type missed out on traction control? All mk3's did
*319 diff doesn't exist? Its a Torsen

I certainly wouldn't believe it just because its "in
the magazine"

Cheers
Andy S

=====
Visit my website http://andy.supras.org.nz

Home of the 5MGE-->7MGTE conversion!

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Re: Fw: Type R question   2003-10-07 10:29:00 <Cully Paterson>