possible project, parts prices?   2003-10-08 23:14:00 <Jonathan Walker>
With the soon retirement of my decidedly shagged engine, I've hatched a project plan.
Jason, how much for a yellow injector 1G-GTE (in tight or close to condition) minus the turbos?
Anyone, what would I look at paying for these goodies...
Decent or half decent (IE better than standard) intercooler that will fit in the front of a MK3.
Custom or by design high flow single turbo manifold for 1g-gte.
Nissan RB25 turbocharger.

You can see where this is going....

Regards,
Jonathan.

Re: possible project, parts prices?   2003-10-08 23:22:00 <john shannon>

Jonathan how are you not see you for awhile how things .I think Hunt as got the enginge you are looking for but my enginge is up for sale soon end of next month i hope.

>From: "Jonathan Walker"
>Subject: [sconz] possible project, parts prices?
>Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 23:14:59 +1300
>
>With the soon retirement of my decidedly shagged engine, I've hatched a project plan.
>Jason, how much for a yellow injector 1G-GTE (in tight or close to condition) minus the turbos?
>Anyone, what would I look at paying for these goodies...
>Decent or half decent (IE better than standard) intercooler that will fit in the front of a MK3.
>Custom or by design high flow single turbo manifold for 1g-gte.
>Nissan RB25 turbocharger.
>
>You can see where this is going....
>
>Regards,
>Jonathan.

With Xtra Jetstream - you don't need a separate phone line for the internet!

Re: possible project, parts prices?   2003-10-09 08:35:00 <Parts Imports>
#1 IGTT cars go through our hands with auto's all high kms/bad condtion===PASS
(if manauel we will take)

#2 Get one made try M Tec $$$ for good product

#3 RB25DET turbo goes with engine only

Jason

With the soon retirement of my decidedly shagged engine, I've hatched a project plan.
Jason, how much for a yellow injector 1G-GTE (in tight or close to condition) minus the turbos?
Anyone, what would I look at paying for these goodies...
Decent or half decent (IE better than standard) intercooler that will fit in the front of a MK3.
Custom or by design high flow single turbo manifold for 1g-gte.
Nissan RB25 turbocharger.

You can see where this is going....

Regards,
Jonathan.

Re: possible project, parts prices?   2003-10-09 09:01:00 <Cully Paterson>

From: Jonathan Walker

>With the soon retirement of my decidedly shagged engine, I've hatched a
project plan.

>Nissan RB25 turbocharger.

Don't. Those turbos are crap.

Re: possible project, parts prices?   2003-10-09 11:15:00 <Jonathan Walker>
Not too long ago you praised them, and suggested it would be idea for reas. power gains on a 2 litre stating that when you bust them, they can be steelshafted for not too much. The only inherent difficuly being that nissimomo turbs are built the opposite way round to most every other turbo in existence making mounting a challenge. I've decided to make a 2 litre monster rather than bankrupt myself maintaining and FUELING a 3 litre. What would you suggest for a turbo around the thousand to 1500 dollar mark? Would you reccomend going with external wastegate? As is appears it is going to be hard to come by an already well maintained 1G engine, what would I be looking at realisticly for a complete overhaul, minus maybe big end bearings, which are quite sound and would save 400 odd dollars?

Don't. Those turbos are crap.

Re: possible project, parts prices?   2003-10-09 11:26:00 <Cully Paterson>

>Not too long ago you praised them, and suggested it would be idea for reas.
power gains on a 2 litre

...then I had an in depth discussion with the guys here about them. They'd
still be OK for a fairly stock set-up, but if you're trying anything more
than that... Naaah.

>What would you suggest for a turbo around the thousand to 1500 dollar mark?

The current thought that I'm persuing for a bolt on replacement for the CT26
is a Mitsubishi TD05H-20G (as used on Evo-3s). The reasoning behind this is
many and varied, but the important bit is that it would be the closest match
flange/compressor cover/turbine outlet of anything available. A relatively
simple sandwich plate would work. They're also dirt cheap and bulletproof.
For a 1G things are a bit different due to the manifold set-up, so I'm still
unsure as to the best approach. That manifold just doesn't lend itself to
nice single conversions.

Has anyone ever sat a 7M and 1G manifold next to each other to compare port
and bolt spacing?

>Would you reccomend going with external wastegate?

Pointless unless you're going for a big turbo. More plumbing too.

Re: possible project, parts prices?   2003-10-09 11:59:00 <Stuart>
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 11:27, you wrote:
> >Not too long ago you praised them, and suggested it would be idea for
> > reas.
>
> power gains on a 2 litre
>
> ...then I had an in depth discussion with the guys here about them. They'd
> still be OK for a fairly stock set-up, but if you're trying anything more
> than that... Naaah.
>
> >What would you suggest for a turbo around the thousand to 1500 dollar
> > mark?
>
> The current thought that I'm persuing for a bolt on replacement for the
> CT26 is a Mitsubishi TD05H-20G (as used on Evo-3s). The reasoning behind
> this is many and varied, but the important bit is that it would be the
> closest match flange/compressor cover/turbine outlet of anything available.
> A relatively simple sandwich plate would work. They're also dirt cheap
> and bulletproof. For a 1G things are a bit different due to the manifold
> set-up, so I'm still unsure as to the best approach. That manifold just
> doesn't lend itself to nice single conversions.

Isn't the TD05H quite a small turbo? not much of an upgrade at all over the
CT26? I've certainly heard of a LOT of problems with EVO's blowing their
turbos with even moderate boost increases, and that's only on a 2.0l engine.
I know these are quite a common upgrade for 2.0l engines - I would just be a
little wary of putting them on something 50% larger.
I know they put TWO of these on 3000GT's as an upgrade....

Know anything about the IHI RHF-55 ball bearing turbo's? quite similar to the
TD05H I believe.

Stuart.

Re: possible project, parts prices?   2003-10-09 12:17:00 <Cully Paterson>

> Isn't the TD05H quite a small turbo? not much of an upgrade at all over
the
> CT26?

Physically it's a bit smaller, but it's got flow potential from hell
compared to other turbos of equivilent size. The rally boys run these at
28psi (that's not a typo) and expect them to last for 2-3 events before
rebuild (and they don't tend to break them, just ruin the thrusts). In
place of a CT26 it should provide mucho increase in response, and be good
for about 16psi. The only real issue is at what point it starts to overheat
the intake charge.

> I've certainly heard of a LOT of problems with EVO's blowing their
> turbos with even moderate boost increases

Um, see above re 28psi. Bear in mind that every different EVO had a
different turbo on it. Some of them (Evo6) had two different revisions of
turbo on them. The later ones went to a TD06 with the shaft
counter-rotating compared to normal turbos!?

> I know these are quite a common upgrade for 2.0l engines - I would just be
> little wary of putting them on something 50% larger.

The consensus seems to be that they'd be a great bolt on replacement for a
'26 in mild tune, but you wouldn't try for big horsepower on them. If you
could make them fit on a 1G you'd be onto a complete winner.

> Know anything about the IHI RHF-55 ball bearing turbo's? quite similar to
the
> TD05H I believe.

No, the RHF55 is brass bearing. Most of the RHF5 series (eg Subaru Legacy)
are ball bearing. Some of them are quite good, others are shocking (eg
RHF5-VIAN which is standard equip for Isuzu Bighorns - they *ALL* fail and
are not servicable. Alltech replaces one per day on average). Mostly
though they are fairly lightweight in the turbine shaft department, and not
candidates for abuse. The TD05 is definitely much stronger.

The big problem with trying to replace anything Toyota with anything else
bolt-on is that the exhaust flange doesn't match anything in the known
universe. The TD05H is the closest I've come across.

The boys here love MHI (Mitsi Heavy Industries) turbos. They rate the build
and design quality of them above anything else, and they're good out of the
box. The TD05 is standard with 360 degree thrust bearings.

Re: possible project, parts prices?   2003-10-09 14:07:00 <Jonathan Walker>

...then I had an in depth discussion with the guys here about them. They'd
still be OK for a fairly stock set-up, but if you're trying anything more
than that... Naaah.

I'm going for something macho. I recently went for a ride in a blitz k26 powered MKIII 2 litre. It was badass. Hard to believe its a 2 litre. It's got external wastegate etc but the plumbing doesnt put me off. In which case what would be similar to the kkk k26, and not as hard to obtain as the said turbo? I'd be sweet with getting an external wastegate and a bigger i/c and plumbing it all up..doing it properly.

>What would you suggest for a turbo around the thousand to 1500 dollar mark?

The current thought that I'm persuing for a bolt on replacement for the CT26
is a Mitsubishi TD05H-20G (as used on Evo-3s) dirt cheap and bulletproof.
Dunno...don't like to say I've got mitsubishi under the bonnet ;)

For a 1G things are a bit different due to the manifold set-up, so I'm still
unsure as to the best approach. That manifold just doesn't lend itself to
nice single conversions.
I plan to get a nice manifold made up...once again....doin it all properly.

Has anyone ever sat a 7M and 1G manifold next to each other to compare port
and bolt spacing?

>Would you reccomend going with external wastegate?

Pointless unless you're going for a big turbo. More plumbing too.
I want a big turbo.

Re: possible project, parts prices?   2003-10-09 14:13:00 <Cully Paterson>

>I plan to get a nice manifold made up...once again....doin it all properly.
>I want a big turbo.

OK, you're into serious territory then.

The 3K (used to be called KKK, but now that the yanks own them...) turbos
are pretty good, but not that common to find. As a general proposition
they're a bit expensive if you have to consider rebuilds etc.

Probably the best option all things considered would be a variation on a
Mitsi TD06. This is the turbo that Trust use to rebadge as their T67, and
it's got a pretty hot reputation. I'll have a look at what I can source for
one of these.

Re: possible project, parts prices?   2003-10-09 14:49:00 <Hunt M>
are they off the R33 2.5 turbo's?
I have heard they only handle 10-12psi JUST??

> >With the soon retirement of my decidedly shagged engine, I've hatched a
> project plan.
>
> >Nissan RB25 turbocharger.
>
> Don't. Those turbos are crap.

Re: possible project, parts prices?   2003-10-09 14:50:00 <Cully Paterson>

> are they off the R33 2.5 turbo's?
> I have heard they only handle 10-12psi JUST??

Correct. However they are a *bit* better than that.

Re: possible project, parts prices?   2003-10-09 14:52:00 <Hunt M>
The 7M is a very long engine compared to the 1G but I have not put the
exhaust housing's side by side.....

Hunt

> Has anyone ever sat a 7M and 1G manifold next to each other to compare
port
> and bolt spacing?
>

> >Would you reccomend going with external wastegate?
>
> Pointless unless you're going for a big turbo. More plumbing too.

Re: possible project, parts prices?   2003-10-09 16:24:00 <Parts Imports>
Bring a Igtt gasket/manifold here and see

Jason

...then I had an in depth discussion with the guys here about them. They'd
still be OK for a fairly stock set-up, but if you're trying anything more
than that... Naaah.

I'm going for something macho. I recently went for a ride in a blitz k26 powered MKIII 2 litre. It was badass. Hard to believe its a 2 litre. It's got external wastegate etc but the plumbing doesnt put me off. In which case what would be similar to the kkk k26, and not as hard to obtain as the said turbo? I'd be sweet with getting an external wastegate and a bigger i/c and plumbing it all up..doing it properly.

>What would you suggest for a turbo around the thousand to 1500 dollar mark?

The current thought that I'm persuing for a bolt on replacement for the CT26
is a Mitsubishi TD05H-20G (as used on Evo-3s) dirt cheap and bulletproof.
Dunno...don't like to say I've got mitsubishi under the bonnet ;)

For a 1G things are a bit different due to the manifold set-up, so I'm still
unsure as to the best approach. That manifold just doesn't lend itself to
nice single conversions.
I plan to get a nice manifold made up...once again....doin it all properly.

Has anyone ever sat a 7M and 1G manifold next to each other to compare port
and bolt spacing?

>Would you reccomend going with external wastegate?

Pointless unless you're going for a big turbo. More plumbing too.
I want a big turbo.

Re: possible project, parts prices?   2003-10-09 16:32:00 <Jonathan Walker>
That would be good...how much better than the R33 gts25t turbo is the td06? Is that static or ball/roller bearing? Internal wastegate? Realistically, will it be able to feed a 2 litre at 7000rpm holding 15+PSI of boost?

Regards,
Jonathan
Mitsi TD06. This is the turbo that Trust use to rebadge as their T67, and
it's got a pretty hot reputation. I'll have a look at what I can source for

Re: possible project, parts prices?   2003-10-09 16:35:00 <Cully Paterson>

>That would be good...how much better than the R33 gts25t turbo is the td06?

Plenty.

>Is that static or ball/roller bearing? Internal wastegate? Realistically,
will it be able to
>feed a 2 litre at 7000rpm holding 15+PSI of boost?

Don't quote me just yet as I haven't found the full specs, but conventional
bearing, internal, and hell yes in that order.

Re: possible project, parts prices?   2003-10-10 02:42:00 <Jonathan Walker>
>That would be good...how much better than the R33 gts25t turbo is the td06?

Plenty.

Don't quote me just yet as I haven't found the full specs, but conventional
bearing, internal, and hell yes in that order.

Nice. Sounds like it might be the go. If you could investigate a price it would be appreciated. I'll contact my brother and see about a custom single turbo manifold. What specifications need to be taken into account here? He reckons he'll be able to find a good single turbo manifold in one of his catalogues (he's an exhaust man) but failing that I'll get one made to order so I need to know what I want to do with it IE runner length and relative runner length, size of the turbine intake/wastegate area etc...
Regards,
Jonathan