Changing brake pads   2003-10-28 19:34:00 <Rob M>
Folks,
I recently repalced my front pads - with Toyota items $74- and there was a high tensile triangular wires at each end per side that sat inserted into a small whole in each brake pad's steel backing. Couldn't get them back in when replacing the worn pads. They looked like they were keeping the pads correctly positioned & off the disk when not in use.
Are they neccesary & if so what tool do you use to fit them?

Thanks

Rob M

Re: Changing brake pads   2003-10-28 19:40:00 <john shannon>

Hi Rob iv done my brakes a few times and yes you do need them but thay are eazy to do but i need to show you

>From: "Rob M"
>Subject: [sconz] Changing brake pads
>Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:31:49 +1300
>
>Folks,
>I recently repalced my front pads - with Toyota items $74- and there was a high tensile triangular wires at each end per side that sat inserted into a small whole in each brake pad's steel backing. Couldn't get them back in when replacing the worn pads. They looked like they were keeping the pads correctly positioned & off the disk when not in use.
>Are they neccesary & if so what tool do you use to fit them?
>
>Thanks
>
>Rob M

Check out the Xtra gaming servers at www.xtramsn.co.nz/gaming !

Re: Changing brake pads   2003-10-28 19:55:00 <Hunt M>
yeah they can be hard or easy....one side for me was easy as and one took
ages and ages to do.....

Hi Rob iv done my brakes a few times and yes you do need them but thay are
eazy to do but i need to show you

>From: "Rob M"
>Subject: [sconz] Changing brake pads
>Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:31:49 +1300
>
>Folks,
>I recently repalced my front pads - with Toyota items $74- and there was a
high tensile triangular wires at each end per side that sat inserted into a
small whole in each brake pad's steel backing. Couldn't get them back in
when replacing the worn pads. They looked like they were keeping the pads
correctly positioned & off the disk when not in use.
>Are they neccesary & if so what tool do you use to fit them?
>
>Thanks
>
>Rob M

----
Check out the Xtra gaming servers at www.xtramsn.co.nz/gaming ! ---

Re: Changing brake pads   2003-10-28 20:06:00 <Stuart>
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:31, you wrote:
> Folks,
> I recently repalced my front pads - with Toyota items $74- and there was a
> high tensile triangular wires at each end per side that sat inserted into
> a small whole in each brake pad's steel backing. Couldn't get them back in
> when replacing the worn pads. They looked like they were keeping the pads
> correctly positioned & off the disk when not in use. Are they neccesary &
> if so what tool do you use to fit them?

Pretty much: yes and yes and no

The keep the pads spaced when the brakes are not in use, they are a good thing
(tm) but not quite essential, and they should fit in REAL easy - if not then
I think you were doing something very wrong? I usually fit them with a single
hand, one finger on each end, it's very simple.

You are using the hinge-half-the-caliper-up correct method of changing the
pads, yes? by undoing the bottom retainer bolt and rotating up the floating
section of the caliper?

it should be trivial to fit these bits.

Stuart W.

Re: Changing brake pads   2003-10-29 22:15:00 <Rob M>
Stu,
was replacing the bottom ball joints so took the whole calaper/pads
assembly off. Not sure what you mean by rotating the floating calaper up but
will check it out in daylight.
thanks Rob
> > I recently repalced my front pads - with Toyota items $74- and there was
> > high tensile triangular wires at each end per side that sat inserted
into
> > a small whole in each brake pad's steel backing. Couldn't get them back
in
> > when replacing the worn pads. They looked like they were keeping the
pads
> > correctly positioned & off the disk when not in use. Are they neccesary
&
> > if so what tool do you use to fit them?
>
> Pretty much: yes and yes and no
>
> The keep the pads spaced when the brakes are not in use, they are a good
thing
> (tm) but not quite essential, and they should fit in REAL easy - if not
then
> I think you were doing something very wrong? I usually fit them with a
single
> hand, one finger on each end, it's very simple.
>
> You are using the hinge-half-the-caliper-up correct method of changing the
> pads, yes? by undoing the bottom retainer bolt and rotating up the
floating
> section of the caliper?
>
> it should be trivial to fit these bits.
>
> Stuart W.

Re: Changing brake pads   2003-10-29 22:16:00 <Rob M>
Thanks John - are you around on Saturday?
Rob
Hi Rob iv done my brakes a few times and yes you do need them but thay are eazy to do but i need to show you

>From: "Rob M"
>Subject: [sconz] Changing brake pads
>Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:31:49 +1300
>
>Folks,
>I recently repalced my front pads - with Toyota items $74- and there was a high tensile triangular wires at each end per side that sat inserted into a small whole in each brake pad's steel backing. Couldn't get them back in when replacing the worn pads. They looked like they were keeping the pads correctly positioned & off the disk when not in use.
>Are they neccesary & if so what tool do you use to fit them?
>
>Thanks
>
>Rob M

Check out the Xtra gaming servers at www.xtramsn.co.nz/gaming ! ---

Re: Changing brake pads   2003-10-29 23:25:00 <Stuart>
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 22:14, you wrote:
> Stu,
> was replacing the bottom ball joints so took the whole calaper/pads
> assembly off. Not sure what you mean by rotating the floating calaper up
> but will check it out in daylight.
> thanks Rob

Changing the pads is a real bitch without doing it right - and that means with
the caliper on the car - have a look and I'm sure you will work it out - it
makes it VERY easy!

Regards,
Stuart.

Re: Changing brake pads   2003-10-30 00:39:00 <Hunt M>
did mine in buggar all time.....just gotta use a bigger hammer and J bar
;-)