Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-28 08:57:00 <Steve Brecht>

As we never got factory Torsen diffs up here (Canada), I would like to know
if anyone there has the OEM specs and/or recommendations for what oil to
use in the diff?

Much appreciated.

Steve

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-28 14:59:00 <Hunt M>
same as LSD i thought?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Brecht" <sendtosteve@rogers.com>
Sent: 28 October, 2003 8:57 AM
Subject: [sconz] Q for the Torsen folks

> As we never got factory Torsen diffs up here (Canada), I would like to
know
> if anyone there has the OEM specs and/or recommendations for what oil to
> use in the diff?
>
> Much appreciated.
>
> Steve

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-28 15:39:00 <Parts Imports>
Same diff as the mk4 they recommend royal purple 75w90

Jason

> > As we never got factory Torsen diffs up here (Canada), I would like to
> know
> > if anyone there has the OEM specs and/or recommendations for what oil to
> > use in the diff?
> >
> > Much appreciated.
> >
> > Steve

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-28 16:32:00 <Stuart>
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:38, you wrote:
> Same diff as the mk4 they recommend royal purple 75w90

I personally run a 50/50 mix of ATF and 80/90 hypoid (sp?) LSD gear oil, the
ATF lowers the losses, and the viscosity is less critical in a torsen as it
does not rely on clutches to work, unlike a normal LSD.

Seems to work well for the 100,000 K's I've put on the car :)

Stuart W.

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-28 21:04:00 <Suze *Spite Me*>
this is kinda off topic to this but since the subject of torsen came up.....
i have a wannabe torsen diff... anyone care to express opinions on why how
my lsd has decided to get a complex and become a torsen lol

>From: Steve Brecht <sendtosteve@rogers.com>
>Subject: [sconz] Q for the Torsen folks
>Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:57:32 -0500
>

>As we never got factory Torsen diffs up here (Canada), I would like to know
>if anyone there has the OEM specs and/or recommendations for what oil to
>use in the diff?
>
>Much appreciated.
>
>Steve

Check out the Xtra gaming servers at http://xtramsn.co.nz/gaming !

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-28 21:12:00 <Hunt M>
explain what you're talking about dear

> this is kinda off topic to this but since the subject of torsen came
up.....
> i have a wannabe torsen diff... anyone care to express opinions on why how
> my lsd has decided to get a complex and become a torsen lol

> >From: Steve Brecht <sendtosteve@rogers.com>
> >Subject: [sconz] Q for the Torsen folks
> >Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:57:32 -0500
> >

> >As we never got factory Torsen diffs up here (Canada), I would like to
know
> >if anyone there has the OEM specs and/or recommendations for what oil to
> >use in the diff?
> >
> >Much appreciated.
> >
> >Steve
> >

> >---
> >Supra Club of New Zealand
> >http://www.supras.org.nz/

> Check out the Xtra gaming servers at http://xtramsn.co.nz/gaming !

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-28 21:21:00 <Suze *Spite Me*>
well you know how an lsd is meant to behave 1 wheel one way 1 the other
catch up etc stuff
and you know how a torsen is meant to behave 2 wheels driving etc

well my pretty little lsd has decided to become a torsen lol
someone..... (john) must have given it a complex lmao :P

>From: "Hunt M" <5uprah@supras.co.nz>
>Subject: [sconz] Re: Q for the Torsen folks
>Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:13:39 +1300
>
>explain what you're talking about dear

Download MSN Messenger @ http://messenger.xtramsn.co.nz - add your
friends!

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-28 21:34:00 <john shannon>

Sorry Suze you now your car likes mine its all ways chasing mine thats why it thinks its got a torson.

>From: "Suze *Spite Me*"
>Subject: [sconz] Re: Q for the Torsen folks
>Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:20:59 +1300
>
>well you know how an lsd is meant to behave 1 wheel one way 1 the
>other catch up etc stuff
>and you know how a torsen is meant to behave 2 wheels driving etc
>
>well my pretty little lsd has decided to become a torsen lol
>someone..... (john) must have given it a complex lmao :P
>
>Cheers
>
>Suze
>

>>From: "Hunt M" <5uprah@supras.co.nz>
>>Subject: [sconz] Re: Q for the Torsen folks
>>Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:13:39 +1300
>>
>>explain what you're talking about dear

Find your perfect match @ XtraMSN Personals!

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-28 23:38:00 <Stuart>
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:03, you wrote:
> this is kinda off topic to this but since the subject of torsen came
> up..... i have a wannabe torsen diff... anyone care to express opinions on
> why how my lsd has decided to get a complex and become a torsen lol

?? what makes you think that? they are very very different.

If you have an LSD that is not locking up it is because the clutches are out
of adjustment and not working, therefore making it work like a standard diff
- it does not make it anythink like a torsen - pity!

Stuart W.

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-28 23:44:00 <Hunt M>
Whilst on the topics of diffs, can the clutches in an LSD be adjusted? Mine
had new ones put it as well as other stuff done to it but it is way too
tight....almost locked....you can spin one wheel but not the other by hand
but as soon as you put any load on it while driving i have yet to go round a
tight corner and NOT hear the inside wheel churn up the tarmac, and do a
burnout (at meremere of course) and have only one wheel go.
I'm NOT complaining about the burnouts at all but it will be chewing up my
tires more than need be with everyday driving....

I still dont understand how the torsen works fully....everyone has a
different opinion on them....can someone please private email me (as to not
spam the whole club with repeatitive emails) how it works?

> > this is kinda off topic to this but since the subject of torsen came
> > up..... i have a wannabe torsen diff... anyone care to express opinions
on
> > why how my lsd has decided to get a complex and become a torsen lol
>
> ?? what makes you think that? they are very very different.
>
> If you have an LSD that is not locking up it is because the clutches are
out
> of adjustment and not working, therefore making it work like a standard
diff
> - it does not make it anythink like a torsen - pity!
>
> Stuart W.

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-29 01:05:00 <Stuart>
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 23:43, you wrote:
> Whilst on the topics of diffs, can the clutches in an LSD be adjusted? Mine
> had new ones put it as well as other stuff done to it but it is way too
> tight....almost locked....you can spin one wheel but not the other by hand
> but as soon as you put any load on it while driving i have yet to go round
> a tight corner and NOT hear the inside wheel churn up the tarmac, and do a
> burnout (at meremere of course) and have only one wheel go.
> I'm NOT complaining about the burnouts at all but it will be chewing up my
> tires more than need be with everyday driving....

you are spinning only one wheel with a burnout with a hard LSD? if so
something is VERY wrong - that should not be possible!

yes, LSD's are adjustable - it's done with different thickness packing shims
inside, and you may need to move to smaller ones - never tried it myself so
cannot give any details.

The ways the different diffs act in basic language:

Open (standard) diff - all power goes to which ever wheel can use it 'first' -
so if one is slipping it soon takes all power, therefore no traction.

Locked (welded, stuffed, whatever) diff - both wheels are locked to always
turn the same rate - perfect 50/50 power distribution, but cornering becomes
VERY optional - not usable for anything but straight line drag racing - also
a 'locker' diff, where you can manually lock/unlock.

LSD - uses clutch packs to move between open and locked diff - basically the
faster the speed difference between the two wheels the tighter the clutches
pack, and the closer it becomes to a locked diff - too tight and cornering is
bad, to loose and acts like an open diff.

Torsen - a smart diff ;) (no! really!) if one wheel starts spinning faster a
proportion of it's power is transfered to the other wheel based on the amount
of force required to make it spin. - a search on the net will tell you all
about it.

Torsen is great for 'sport' type traction, but not quite so good for 'utility'
type traction (like ice and mud) where a well adjusted LSD is better (and an
adjustable locker diff is best)

Stuart W.

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-29 01:38:00 <Hunt M>
ok cool thanks for all that
but as for the burnouts go i do do 2 wheel ones, i'll show you one day ;-)

> > Whilst on the topics of diffs, can the clutches in an LSD be adjusted?
Mine
> > had new ones put it as well as other stuff done to it but it is way too
> > tight....almost locked....you can spin one wheel but not the other by
hand
> > but as soon as you put any load on it while driving i have yet to go
round
> > a tight corner and NOT hear the inside wheel churn up the tarmac, and do
> > burnout (at meremere of course) and have only one wheel go.
> > I'm NOT complaining about the burnouts at all but it will be chewing up
my
> > tires more than need be with everyday driving....
>
> you are spinning only one wheel with a burnout with a hard LSD? if so
> something is VERY wrong - that should not be possible!
>
> yes, LSD's are adjustable - it's done with different thickness packing
shims
> inside, and you may need to move to smaller ones - never tried it myself
so
> cannot give any details.
>
> The ways the different diffs act in basic language:
>
> Open (standard) diff - all power goes to which ever wheel can use it
'first' -
> so if one is slipping it soon takes all power, therefore no traction.
>
> Locked (welded, stuffed, whatever) diff - both wheels are locked to always
> turn the same rate - perfect 50/50 power distribution, but cornering
becomes
> VERY optional - not usable for anything but straight line drag racing -
also
> a 'locker' diff, where you can manually lock/unlock.
>
> LSD - uses clutch packs to move between open and locked diff - basically
the
> faster the speed difference between the two wheels the tighter the
clutches
> pack, and the closer it becomes to a locked diff - too tight and cornering
is
> bad, to loose and acts like an open diff.
>
> Torsen - a smart diff ;) (no! really!) if one wheel starts spinning faster
> proportion of it's power is transfered to the other wheel based on the
amount
> of force required to make it spin. - a search on the net will tell you all
> about it.
>
> Torsen is great for 'sport' type traction, but not quite so good for
'utility'
> type traction (like ice and mud) where a well adjusted LSD is better (and
an
> adjustable locker diff is best)
>
> Stuart W.

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-29 01:51:00 <Stuart>
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 01:37, you wrote:
> ok cool thanks for all that
> but as for the burnouts go i do do 2 wheel ones, i'll show you one day ;-)

I somehow suspected that might be the case :P

A good way to test is a torsen/LSD is working is to find some nice white
concrete, preferably the slightly slippy stuff, and do a hard launch on it
for a meter or so after making marks at the contact point of each tyre before
the start (and assistant can be helpfull here) and see if both tyres break
traction equally - ie: at the same time. this is NOT a stationary burnout,
but a rolling one to work.
My torsen will break them VERY close to each other, which is a good sign!
Don't burn those tyres out too much of course, it's an expensive hobby with
any decent tyres!

Stuart W.

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-29 01:56:00 <Hunt M>
yeah i did it on a mates drive way. not for a meter but for about a
foot.....two 1 foot lines in the exact same place....guess the diff's doing
its job ;-)

> > but as for the burnouts go i do do 2 wheel ones, i'll show you one day
;-)

> I somehow suspected that might be the case :P
>
> A good way to test is a torsen/LSD is working is to find some nice white
> concrete, preferably the slightly slippy stuff, and do a hard launch on it
> for a meter or so after making marks at the contact point of each tyre
before
> the start (and assistant can be helpfull here) and see if both tyres break
> traction equally - ie: at the same time. this is NOT a stationary burnout,
> but a rolling one to work.
> My torsen will break them VERY close to each other, which is a good sign!
> Don't burn those tyres out too much of course, it's an expensive hobby
with
> any decent tyres!
>
> Stuart W.

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-29 05:21:00 <Steve Brecht>

Has anyone got an answer to my original Q? :)

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-29 09:45:00 <Suze *Spite Me*>
well i kinda "knew" it wasn't a torsen!!! But speaking of real torsens i am
getting a 4.1 torsen this week :)
my lsd is locking up when it isn't meant to ok in english for you, both
wheels spin the same way all the time, one doesn't back off

now can i have ideas please

>From: Stuart <stuartw@kcbbs.gen.nz>
>Subject: [sconz] Re: Q for the Torsen folks
>Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 23:35:18 +1300
>
>On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:03, you wrote:
> > this is kinda off topic to this but since the subject of torsen came
> > up..... i have a wannabe torsen diff... anyone care to express opinions
>on
> > why how my lsd has decided to get a complex and become a torsen lol
>
>?? what makes you think that? they are very very different.
>
>If you have an LSD that is not locking up it is because the clutches are
>out
>of adjustment and not working, therefore making it work like a standard
>diff
>- it does not make it anythink like a torsen - pity!
>
>Stuart W.

Download MSN Messenger @ http://messenger.xtramsn.co.nz - talk to family
and friends overseas!

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-29 09:54:00 <Suze *Spite Me*>
um there were a few options weren't there?

i would just use normal diff oil but stuart seems to use a mix of atf and
diff oil

>From: Steve Brecht <sendtosteve@rogers.com>
>Subject: [sconz] Re: Q for the Torsen folks
>Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:22:14 -0500
>

>Has anyone got an answer to my original Q? :)

Download MSN Messenger @ http://messenger.xtramsn.co.nz - talk to family
and friends overseas!

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-29 14:26:00 <Nick Clewer>
It says you shouldn't use LSD oil in a torsen.

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 13:29, Stuart wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:38, you wrote:
> > Same diff as the mk4 they recommend royal purple 75w90
>
> I personally run a 50/50 mix of ATF and 80/90 hypoid (sp?) LSD gear oil, the
> ATF lowers the losses, and the viscosity is less critical in a torsen as it
> does not rely on clutches to work, unlike a normal LSD.
>
> Seems to work well for the 100,000 K's I've put on the car :)
>
> Stuart W.

----------
Nick Clewer
Winshop Internet Pty Ltd
http://www.winshop.com.au
nickc@winshop.com.au

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-29 14:41:00 <Hunt M>
oh....i'm sure we have been through this and lsd oil was found to be the way
to go....maybe i am wrong.

> It says you shouldn't use LSD oil in a torsen.
>

> On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 13:29, Stuart wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:38, you wrote:
> > > Same diff as the mk4 they recommend royal purple 75w90
> >
> > I personally run a 50/50 mix of ATF and 80/90 hypoid (sp?) LSD gear oil,
the
> > ATF lowers the losses, and the viscosity is less critical in a torsen as
it
> > does not rely on clutches to work, unlike a normal LSD.
> >
> > Seems to work well for the 100,000 K's I've put on the car :)
> >
> > Stuart W.

> ----------
> Nick Clewer
> Winshop Internet Pty Ltd
> http://www.winshop.com.au
> nickc@winshop.com.au

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-29 15:15:00 <Jonathan Walker>
I'm driving the strangest single spinner ever....no matter what happens if I drop the clutch and light it up both wheels go right away...hahaha..great for those 14PSI 1st gear launches on the 2 litre.
Regards,
Jonathan
> but as for the burnouts go i do do 2 wheel ones, i'll show you one day ;-)

I somehow suspected that might be the case :P

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-29 15:17:00 <Hunt M>
go the 1G!!!!!!!!!

> but as for the burnouts go i do do 2 wheel ones, i'll show you one day
;-)

I somehow suspected that might be the case :P

Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-29 15:27:00 <Jonathan Walker>
Exactly why I wana rip it out and throw in a 3 litre ;)
Re: Q for the Torsen folks   2003-10-29 15:50:00 <Hunt M>
sheep

Exactly why I wana rip it out and throw in a 3 litre ;)