Dead diff   2003-11-13 16:12:00 <Hunt M>
Hey all,
Well things just get worse and worse dont they! hahaha
Over the last few weeks I noticed a slight noise in my rear end (stop
laughing now).
Thought it was my wheel bearing but after jacking it up and turning the
wheels it grabs at first but then frees itself and has a yucky metal on
metal sound. Hoping that a change of the oil will have some effect but I
doubt it so will be looking for another diff. Would rather get mine reco'd
being a 4.7:1 ratio but that will cost a heck of alot more than a 2nd hand
one.
Anyone got an LSD diff in good condition that they want to part with? ;-)

Thanks

RE: Dead diff   2003-11-13 16:14:00 <Peter Nield (DSL AK)>
hmm, could it be you've worn the brakes out?

_____

From: Hunt M [mailto:5uprah@supras.co.nz]
Sent: Thursday, 13 November 2003 4:14 p.m.
Subject: [sconz] Dead diff

Hey all,
Well things just get worse and worse dont they! hahaha
Over the last few weeks I noticed a slight noise in my rear end (stop
laughing now).
Thought it was my wheel bearing but after jacking it up and turning the
wheels it grabs at first but then frees itself and has a yucky metal on
metal sound.

RE: Dead diff   2003-11-13 16:15:00 <Peter Nield (DSL AK)>
that is, the brake PADs...

_____

hmm, could it be you've worn the brakes out?

_____

Well things just get worse and worse dont they! hahaha
Over the last few weeks I noticed a slight noise in my rear end (stop
laughing now).
Thought it was my wheel bearing but after jacking it up and turning the
wheels it grabs at first but then frees itself and has a yucky metal on
metal sound.

RE: Dead diff   2003-11-13 16:18:00 <Hunt M>
They are a bit low but the noise is actually coming from the diff tho.
I wish i were as simple (and cheap haha) as that but I don't think it is.
Will have a good look at it tomorrow night or saturday morning and find out
a bit more after I change my diff oil.

hmm, could it be you've worn the brakes out?

Well things just get worse and worse dont they! hahaha
Over the last few weeks I noticed a slight noise in my rear end (stop
laughing now).
Thought it was my wheel bearing but after jacking it up and turning the
wheels it grabs at first but then frees itself and has a yucky metal on
metal sound.

RE: Dead diff   2003-11-13 16:24:00 <Steve Brecht>
Just for curiosity... what style of diff? Torsen or clutch pack?

Steve

At 10:19 PM 11/12/03, you wrote:
>They are a bit low but the noise is actually coming from the diff tho.
>I wish i were as simple (and cheap haha) as that but I don't think it is.
>Will have a good look at it tomorrow night or saturday morning and find
>out a bit more after I change my diff oil.
>
>Cheers
>Hunt

RE: Dead diff   2003-11-13 16:27:00 <Hunt M>
Regular LSD so clutch pack style not mechanical

> Just for curiosity... what style of diff? Torsen or clutch pack?
>
> Steve
>

> At 10:19 PM 11/12/03, you wrote:
> >They are a bit low but the noise is actually coming from the diff tho.
> >I wish i were as simple (and cheap haha) as that but I don't think it is.
> >Will have a good look at it tomorrow night or saturday morning and find
> >out a bit more after I change my diff oil.
> >
> >Cheers
> >Hunt

RE: Dead diff   2003-11-13 17:23:00 <Jonathan Walker>
Advice: While you have the car up and are changing gear oil take off backplate and inspect!!!
> >out a bit more after I change my diff oil.

RE: Dead diff   2003-11-13 17:27:00 <Hunt M>
will i need to change the gasket with a new one or can i use gasket goo?
cleaning off ALL oil of course ;-)

Advice: While you have the car up and are changing gear oil take off
backplate and inspect!!!
> >out a bit more after I change my diff oil.

RE: Dead diff   2003-11-13 18:03:00 <Jonathan Walker>
get a 12 dollar sheet of gasket material and cut your own
will i need to change the gasket with a new one or can i use gasket goo? cleaning off ALL oil of course ;-)