Cold start question (frustrated)   2003-12-19 08:41:00 <Andy S>
Hi all

Is the cold start injector supposed to run only while
cranking the motor, or continue for a minute or so
after the motor is started?

According to the wiring diagram I have, the injector
only receives voltage through ST1 (starter wire). I
tested voltage at the cold start time switch
immediately after starting the motor and the voltage
is 0V on both pins. I presume from this that the cold
start injector was not running either. Hmmm

Car is not cold starting properly, so is this the
problem?

Cheers
Andy S

=====
Visit my website http://andy.supras.org.nz

Home of the 5MGE-->7MGTE conversion!

http://photos.yahoo.com/

Re: Cold start question (frustrated)   2003-12-19 08:44:00 <Cully Paterson>

> Is the cold start injector supposed to run only while
> cranking the motor, or continue for a minute or so
> after the motor is started?

It's supposed to continue.

On the earlier engines this was controlled by a bi-metal switch, but from
memory the 7M should be on a timer circuit.

Re: Cold start question (frustrated)   2003-12-19 08:48:00 <Andy S>
> On the earlier engines this was controlled by a
> bi-metal switch, but from
> memory the 7M should be on a timer circuit.

The wiring diagram for 1990 7MGTE shows the voltage to
the cold start injector and time switch is from ST1.
So the time switch is set by the initial ST1 voltage
while starting then continues to remain closed for a
minute by itelf after the ST1 voltage has ceased? Or
should the switch be receiving voltage for longer? It
appears to me that the time switch on this car here is
not receiving any voltage at all after the starter has
stopped.

:-(

=====
Visit my website http://andy.supras.org.nz

Home of the 5MGE-->7MGTE conversion!

http://photos.yahoo.com/

Re: Cold start question (frustrated)   2003-12-19 08:51:00 <Doig, Richard>
How cold is it there? Are you sure the problem is the cold start injector?

Dunno about the 7M, but it has to be *damn* cold for a 3S-GTE to have any
problems after the cold-start injector is removed.

Richard

error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.
For more information on the Air New Zealand Group, visit us online
at http://www.airnewzealand.com

Re: Cold start question (frustrated)   2003-12-19 08:56:00 <Andy S>
> Dunno about the 7M, but it has to be *damn* cold
> for a 3S-GTE to have any
> problems after the cold-start injector is removed.

So with the cold start injector removed completely,
should the engine still idle-up on startup? Does the
ISC do this?

Cheers
Andy S

=====
Visit my website http://andy.supras.org.nz

Home of the 5MGE-->7MGTE conversion!

http://photos.yahoo.com/

Re: Cold start question (frustrated)   2003-12-19 09:01:00 <Doig, Richard>
To increase idle you add air, all extra fuel does is make it run rich as
rich mixtures are easier to ignite. When it is running a bit iffy try
cracking the throttle by hand just a touch (don't rev it, just add a touch
of air), see if idle improves. Also unplug the cold start injector and see
what happens.

Richard

Re: Cold start question (frustrated)   2003-12-19 09:06:00 <Andy S>
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I can conclude
that my NO IDLE problem is NOT related to the CSI. It
must be an ISC or water temp sensor problem.

Car will not idle at all when cold. Will jusr fire to
life then die. If I put foot on gas to hold at 1000rpm
or so, it will idle fine. Take foot off and it will
stumble around 400 rpm, then likely die.

ISC is new and tests good. TPS is new and tests good
and it set up according to TSRM. I am yet to eliminate
the water temp senso, so I will try that next.

Cheers
Andy S

=====
Visit my website http://andy.supras.org.nz

Home of the 5MGE-->7MGTE conversion!

http://photos.yahoo.com/

Re: Cold start question (frustrated)   2003-12-19 09:08:00 <Doig, Richard>

> ISC is new and tests good. TPS is new and tests good
> and it set up according to TSRM. I am yet to eliminate
> the water temp senso, so I will try that next.

7M still has the plunger type ISC? On my 1G-GE I could unbolt it and pull
it off while running, you could watch it wind in and out while trying to
control idle.

Richard

error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.
For more information on the Air New Zealand Group, visit us online
at http://www.airnewzealand.com

Re: Cold start question (frustrated)   2003-12-19 09:09:00 <Marc Archbold>

Possibly a silly question but have you checked for error codes prior to part
swapping?

Cheers,
Marc

> Thanks for the advice guys. I think I can conclude
> that my NO IDLE problem is NOT related to the CSI. It
> must be an ISC or water temp sensor problem.
>
> Car will not idle at all when cold. Will jusr fire to
> life then die. If I put foot on gas to hold at 1000rpm
> or so, it will idle fine. Take foot off and it will
> stumble around 400 rpm, then likely die.
>
> ISC is new and tests good. TPS is new and tests good
> and it set up according to TSRM. I am yet to eliminate
> the water temp senso, so I will try that next.
>
> Cheers
> Andy S

Re: Cold start question (frustrated)   2003-12-19 09:14:00 <Andy S>
> Possibly a silly question but have you checked for
> error codes prior to part
> swapping?

Yes. No error codes, except a 51 when the car dies. I
think this is normal as this will happen whenever the
car stalls.

Cheers
Andy S

=====
Visit my website http://andy.supras.org.nz

Home of the 5MGE-->7MGTE conversion!

http://photos.yahoo.com/

Re: Cold start question (frustrated)   2003-12-19 10:11:00 <Suze W>
oh the wonderful 51/switch signal
i had that one for a while, long while, never figured out what it was for
and now i know lol

>From: Andy S <spud3861@yahoo.com>
>Subject: [sconz] Re: Cold start question (frustrated)
>Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:14:13 -0800 (PST)
>
> > Possibly a silly question but have you checked for
> > error codes prior to part
> > swapping?
>
>Yes. No error codes, except a 51 when the car dies. I
>think this is normal as this will happen whenever the
>car stalls.
>
>Cheers
>Andy S
>
>=====
>Visit my website http://andy.supras.org.nz
>
>Home of the 5MGE-->7MGTE conversion!

>New Yahoo! Photos - easier uploading and sharing.
>http://photos.yahoo.com/

Download MSN Messenger @ http://messenger.xtramsn.co.nz - add your
friends!

Re: Cold start question (frustrated)   2003-12-19 10:14:00 <Hunt M>
checked all the plugs and leads?
If it is so cold then the leads might be playing up and if so cold there
could be moisture that they could be arching on??

my 2c

> i had that one for a while, long while, never figured out what it was for
> and now i know lol
>

> >From: Andy S <spud3861@yahoo.com>
> >Subject: [sconz] Re: Cold start question (frustrated)
> >Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:14:13 -0800 (PST)
> >
> > > Possibly a silly question but have you checked for
> > > error codes prior to part
> > > swapping?
> >
> >Yes. No error codes, except a 51 when the car dies. I
> >think this is normal as this will happen whenever the
> >car stalls.
> >
> >Cheers
> >Andy S
> >
> >=====
> >Visit my website http://andy.supras.org.nz
> >
> >Home of the 5MGE-->7MGTE conversion!

> >New Yahoo! Photos - easier uploading and sharing.
> >http://photos.yahoo.com/
> >
> >---
> >Supra Club of New Zealand
> >http://www.supras.org.nz/

> Download MSN Messenger @ http://messenger.xtramsn.co.nz - add your
> friends!

Re: Cold start question (frustrated)   2003-12-19 11:23:00 <Parts Imports>
Fix the tps code could be only problem

Or top two pin ecu temp sensor (check the wire condition in the plug before
you replace)

Jason