Air/Fuel Mixture Measuring   2004-01-01 20:16:00 <trembath@...>
What are most people using to measure Supra Air/Feul ratios?

I am unsure if my meter is working correctly.

Rob
7MGTE
New Plymouth

Re: Air/Fuel Mixture Measuring   2004-01-01 20:28:00 <Stuart>
On Thursday 01 January 2004 20:16, you wrote:
> What are most people using to measure Supra Air/Feul ratios?
>
> I am unsure if my meter is working correctly.

Check it with a high impedance multimeter (any cheap LCD display one should do
fine - the signal is 0-1 Volts).

Make sure yuo NEVER apply a voltage to this sensor - it will ruin it
immediately and it will never be accurate again - applying a multimeter set
to 'resistance' will do this - so make sure you never use that range!
'voltage' only!

then download this file:
http://www.carlton24v.co.uk/datasheets/o2sensors.pdf

It will tell you quite a bit of very good information about your Oxy sensor,
and what voltages mean what.
If you look at the 'O2 Sensor Output [Volts]' table you will get a good idea.
This document explains a LOT about these sensors, including how inaccurate
they are, and why NO display actually tells you an accurate A/F ratio, just
which sind of 14.7:1 you are on.

Regards,
Stuart.

Re: Air/Fuel Mixture Measuring   2004-01-01 20:34:00 <trembath@...>
Stuart,

Thanks for your help again.

Rob Trembath

Quoting Stuart <stuartw@kcbbs.gen.nz>:

> On Thursday 01 January 2004 20:16, you wrote:
> > What are most people using to measure Supra Air/Feul ratios?
> >
> > I am unsure if my meter is working correctly.
>
> Check it with a high impedance multimeter (any cheap LCD display one should
> do
> fine - the signal is 0-1 Volts).
>
> Make sure yuo NEVER apply a voltage to this sensor - it will ruin it
> immediately and it will never be accurate again - applying a multimeter set
> to 'resistance' will do this - so make sure you never use that range!
> 'voltage' only!
>
> then download this file:
> http://www.carlton24v.co.uk/datasheets/o2sensors.pdf
>
> It will tell you quite a bit of very good information about your Oxy sensor,
>
> and what voltages mean what.
> If you look at the 'O2 Sensor Output [Volts]' table you will get a good
> idea.
> This document explains a LOT about these sensors, including how inaccurate
> they are, and why NO display actually tells you an accurate A/F ratio, just
> which sind of 14.7:1 you are on.
>
> Regards,
> Stuart.

Re: Air/Fuel Mixture Measuring   2004-01-01 21:39:00 <Stuart>
On Thursday 01 January 2004 20:33, you wrote:
> Stuart,
>
> Thanks for your help again.

no worries. BTW, there are good access points to the oxy sensor in the
diagnostic connector in the engine bay - easier than trying to tap the wires.

understand that pdf file and you will be ahead of about 80% of engine tuners
;)

Regards,
Stuart.