Wastegate   2004-01-04 16:42:00 <Hunt M>
Hey all,
Hope you all had an awesome time over the holiday period!
This time of year is great but guess what, after Supra Fest 04 its all
downhill till SF05 haha.
Anyways getting to my question, quite a random one:
When you see advertised "38mm external wastegate" etc etc. The size that
they are relating too is the "IN" side of the wastegate or the "EXIT"?
Reason I ask is the one I have has a larger "IN" hole as opposed to the
"EXIT"

Cheers all

Hunt
*Minus ALL turbos*

RE: Wastegate   2004-01-04 18:34:00 <Cully Paterson>

>Anyways getting to my question, quite a random one:
>When you see advertised "38mm external wastegate" etc etc. The size
that they are
> relating too is the "IN" side of the wastegate or the "EXIT"?

It relates to the diameter of the piston face at the inlet from the
exhaust.

>Reason I ask is the one I have has a larger "IN" hole as opposed to the
"EXIT"

That's because the piston only ever opens a very small amount...

(back in AKL after 15 hours on the road yesterday in a VERY NOISY CAR!)

Re: Wastegate   2004-01-04 19:56:00 <Jonathan Walker>
Why are you going external on a 2 litre supra?
Hope you all had an awesome time over the holiday period!
This time of year is great but guess what, after Supra Fest 04 its all downhill till SF05 haha.
Anyways getting to my question, quite a random one:
When you see advertised "38mm external wastegate" etc etc. The size that they are relating too is the "IN" side of the wastegate or the "EXIT"?
Reason I ask is the one I have has a larger "IN" hole as opposed to the "EXIT"

Cheers all

Hunt
*Minus ALL turbos*

Re: Wastegate   2004-01-04 20:15:00 <Hunt M>
I never said I was putting one on.....but if I was what would be wrong with
that?
On a turbo that isn't internally wastegated what other option is there?

Why are you going external on a 2 litre supra?
Hope you all had an awesome time over the holiday period!
This time of year is great but guess what, after Supra Fest 04 its all
downhill till SF05 haha.
Anyways getting to my question, quite a random one:
When you see advertised "38mm external wastegate" etc etc. The size that
they are relating too is the "IN" side of the wastegate or the "EXIT"?
Reason I ask is the one I have has a larger "IN" hole as opposed to the
"EXIT"

Cheers all

Hunt
*Minus ALL turbos*

Re: Wastegate   2004-01-04 20:26:00 <Jonathan Walker>
I wonder what could be achieved by putting a turbo big enough to not have its own gate on a 2 litre unless you dont mind no boost till 5500rpm. I just assumed with all the questions that you planned to dump a gt40 or something on the 1g! The main issue with external gates being the mission it is to plumb everything, but my bro does all this for a living so I just need an excuse (7m) to put an external gate on (t04e cough).

On the subject, saw a black MA70 facelift with t04e and hks gate and 3" exhaust, with a stainless 1.5" screamer just in front of the back wheel! talk about a strange sound!
Regards,
Jonathan