Gearboxes   2004-02-10 14:22:00 <Hunt M>
Hey all
Whats the difference between a W55, W57 and W58 gearbox? Strength, gear
ratio??

www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

RE: Gearboxes   2004-02-10 14:44:00 <Richie Arber>
W57 & 58 have the same ratio's except for 5th, ratios are completely
different in the W55. As for H/P, depending on who you believe, the W55
is good for 190hp, W57 - 190hp, W58 - 230hp, these figures are for boxes
used stock. Have seen these boxes take over 300hp in a reconditioned
state, if treated well, but we know H/P doesn't kill G/Boxes, torque
does.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hunt M [mailto:5uprah@supras.co.nz]
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 2:21 PM
To: Supra Club of NZ Mailing List
Subject: [sconz] Gearboxes

Hey all
Whats the difference between a W55, W57 and W58 gearbox? Strength, gear
ratio??

www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

RE: Gearboxes   2004-02-10 14:48:00 <Adrian Maka>
Arent there 2 variants of the W58's?
I heard there was a small and big shaft W58, and the bigger one being the
more modern one and coming attached to the 2JZGE (non-turbo) and are good
for up to 400hp :o

Toodles
Adrian

At 02:42 PM 2/10/2004 +1300, you wrote:

>W57 & 58 have the same ratio's except for 5th, ratios are completely
>different in the W55. As for H/P, depending on who you believe, the W55 is
>good for 190hp, W57 - 190hp, W58 - 230hp, these figures are for boxes used
>stock. Have seen these boxes take over 300hp in a reconditioned state, if
>treated well, but we know H/P doesn't kill G/Boxes, torque does.

Re: Gearboxes   2004-02-10 14:53:00 <Hunt M>
Ok, well I had a fair whack of torque (for a 2L) when I did my last dyno
with 159kw. I cant remember the exact figure, it was in the vicinity af 580,
around 100 less than Jason T at the time of 680. That is rear wheel torque
mind you, no relation to engine torque!
I have a W58 gear box that is in good nick, 2nd gear synchro is a little
rough if flat shifting but hey cant complain ;-) Where and how much to get
it reco'd?
Also my 4.7:1 LSD, anyone know where I can get this checked out for damage
and the clutches re-adjusted?

www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

Whats the difference between a W55, W57 and W58 gearbox? Strength, gear
ratio??

www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

Re: Gearboxes   2004-02-10 14:55:00 <Cully Paterson>