Re: Fuel pump   2004-02-10 20:00:00 <Stuart>
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:29, ronnie kumar wrote:
> I am installing a walbro fuel pump,so I should connect this resistor to
> positive terminal of the fuel pump .That was how stock fuel pump was
> connected.The numbers I got off the resistor(or whatever it is) was
> 9098004047 250/0.47L .ANy-one recognise this number.
> Cully,Sorry for changing the topic on your e-mail.
> Ronnie.

It's hard to tell from those, but it could well be a 0.47 ohm resistor, making
it hard to measure.. the best way is to series it with a higher resistor and
measure the voltage drop across it.
say you use a 12v source (just 'cause one is handy ;) )
say the voltage source is Vs, and you put that across two series resistors, R1
and R2, and the voltage across the resistors are V1 and V2..
V1+V2=Vs
R2=V2/I
I=V1/R1
so R2=V2/(V1/R1), or R2=(V2*R1)/V1
if we have a 12v source, and R1 is 20 ohms..
we would see voltages of V1=11.725V, V2=0.275V
R2=(0.275*20)/11.725=0.47 ohms! :)

remember, your 20 ohm resistor will need to handle around 10W during
measurement, but hey.. just use a reasonable sized one..

it's usually easier to get multimeters to read low voltages than low
resistances!

Regards,
Stuart.

Re: Re:Fuel pump   2004-02-10 20:03:00 <Hunt M>
kind of off topic sorry but a bit of advice/thought:
A friend of mine and myself re-did his fuel pump wiring, using rather large
but not too large wires and a decent earth, voltage when the car was running
at the fuel pump went from just under 13 volts to 13.7!!!! Not a HUGE
increase but surely significant! Worth a shot if you have some spare time on
your hands!

www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:29, ronnie kumar wrote:
> > I am installing a walbro fuel pump,so I should connect this resistor to
> > positive terminal of the fuel pump .That was how stock fuel pump was
> > connected.The numbers I got off the resistor(or whatever it is) was
> > 9098004047 250/0.47L .ANy-one recognise this number.
> > Cully,Sorry for changing the topic on your e-mail.
> > Ronnie.
>
> It's hard to tell from those, but it could well be a 0.47 ohm resistor,
making
> it hard to measure.. the best way is to series it with a higher resistor
and
> measure the voltage drop across it.
> say you use a 12v source (just 'cause one is handy ;) )
> say the voltage source is Vs, and you put that across two series
resistors, R1
> and R2, and the voltage across the resistors are V1 and V2..
> V1+V2=Vs
> R2=V2/I
> I=V1/R1
> so R2=V2/(V1/R1), or R2=(V2*R1)/V1
> if we have a 12v source, and R1 is 20 ohms..
> we would see voltages of V1=11.725V, V2=0.275V
> R2=(0.275*20)/11.725=0.47 ohms! :)
>
> remember, your 20 ohm resistor will need to handle around 10W during
> measurement, but hey.. just use a reasonable sized one..
>
> it's usually easier to get multimeters to read low voltages than low
> resistances!
>
> Regards,
> Stuart.

Re: Re:Fuel pump   2004-02-10 21:32:00 <ronnie kumar>
Thanks guys
Ronnie

>From: "Hunt M" <5uprah@supras.co.nz>
>Subject: Re: Re:[sconz] Fuel pump
>Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:02:35 +1300
>
>kind of off topic sorry but a bit of advice/thought:
>A friend of mine and myself re-did his fuel pump wiring, using rather large
>but not too large wires and a decent earth, voltage when the car was
>running
>at the fuel pump went from just under 13 volts to 13.7!!!! Not a HUGE
>increase but surely significant! Worth a shot if you have some spare time
>on
>your hands!
>
>Cheers
>Hunt
>www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

Download MSN Messenger @ http://messenger.xtramsn.co.nz - add your
friends!

Re: Re:Fuel pump   2004-02-10 21:55:00 <Cully Paterson>

> kind of off topic sorry but a bit of advice/thought:
> A friend of mine and myself re-did his fuel pump wiring, using rather large
> but not too large wires and a decent earth, voltage when the car was running
> at the fuel pump went from just under 13 volts to 13.7!!!! Not a HUGE
> increase but surely significant! Worth a shot if you have some spare time on
> your hands!

Um, yeaaah. 13.8volts is the correct running voltage for pretty much any car.
Stick a multimeter across your alternator some time and you'll notice that
it's within about .05v of 13.8...

Re: Re:Fuel pump   2004-02-11 14:16:00 <Hunt M>
Correct but what I was getting at was on older cars the wires and earths
start to corrode etc, replacing these wires will get you back up to that
13.7-14.1 volt range, you want to have as close to the 14.2-14.4 volt of the
battery when the car is running as possible for best performance out of the
fuel pump.

www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

> > kind of off topic sorry but a bit of advice/thought:
> > A friend of mine and myself re-did his fuel pump wiring, using rather
large
> > but not too large wires and a decent earth, voltage when the car was
running
> > at the fuel pump went from just under 13 volts to 13.7!!!! Not a HUGE
> > increase but surely significant! Worth a shot if you have some spare
time on
> > your hands!
>
> Um, yeaaah. 13.8volts is the correct running voltage for pretty much any
car.
> Stick a multimeter across your alternator some time and you'll notice that
> it's within about .05v of 13.8...

Re: Re:Fuel pump   2004-02-11 14:21:00 <Cully Paterson>

> Correct but what I was getting at was on older cars the wires and earths
> start to corrode etc, replacing these wires will get you back up to that
> 13.7-14.1 volt range, you want to have as close to the 14.2-14.4 volt of
the
> battery when the car is running as possible for best performance out of
the
> fuel pump.

Don't know where you get 14.2-4 volts for a battery. All car batteries will
run at 12 volts within a few tens of a volt. When the car is running the
alternator will produce 13.8 volts within a few hundreds of a volt, right
through the rev range. Nothing should ever get to 14.2 or more.

Re: Re:Fuel pump   2004-02-11 14:31:00 <Hunt M>
Ok so why then when-ever I put a volt meter on cars when running the
multimeter reads anything from 14.2-14.4 Volts. I'm pretty sure it was a
known fact that alternators put out 14.4 volts??

www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

> > Correct but what I was getting at was on older cars the wires and earths
> > start to corrode etc, replacing these wires will get you back up to that
> > 13.7-14.1 volt range, you want to have as close to the 14.2-14.4 volt of
> the
> > battery when the car is running as possible for best performance out of
> the
> > fuel pump.
>
> Don't know where you get 14.2-4 volts for a battery. All car batteries
will
> run at 12 volts within a few tens of a volt. When the car is running the
> alternator will produce 13.8 volts within a few hundreds of a volt, right
> through the rev range. Nothing should ever get to 14.2 or more.

Re: Re:Fuel pump   2004-02-11 14:34:00 <Cully Paterson>

> Ok so why then when-ever I put a volt meter on cars when running the
> multimeter reads anything from 14.2-14.4 Volts. I'm pretty sure it was a
> known fact that alternators put out 14.4 volts??

Given I've already said twice that you should be getting 13.8volts almost
exactly? If you're getting over 14 volts then your voltage regulator is
stuffed. A correctly working one should result in the voltage not changing
in the slightest, even if you rev the car to redline. My voltage changes
less than 0.02V between idle and redline.

Re: Re:Fuel pump   2004-02-11 14:50:00 <Hunt M>
Will take your word for it but will test tomorrow ;-)

www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

> > Ok so why then when-ever I put a volt meter on cars when running the
> > multimeter reads anything from 14.2-14.4 Volts. I'm pretty sure it was a
> > known fact that alternators put out 14.4 volts??
>
> Given I've already said twice that you should be getting 13.8volts almost
> exactly? If you're getting over 14 volts then your voltage regulator is
> stuffed. A correctly working one should result in the voltage not
changing
> in the slightest, even if you rev the car to redline. My voltage changes
> less than 0.02V between idle and redline.

Re: Re:Fuel pump   2004-02-11 14:51:00 <Cully Paterson>
If ya don't believe me, I'll demonstrate on mine. I've been through about 3
voltage regulators, so know their behavior quite well :)

> Will take your word for it but will test tomorrow ;-)

> www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

Re: Re:Fuel pump   2004-02-11 15:03:00 <Marc Archbold>

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h8.pdf

What type/brand is your multimeter Hunt? It may not be accurate. Unless its a
Fluke DVM :)

> Will take your word for it but will test tomorrow ;-)

> www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

Re: Fuel pump   2004-02-11 15:44:00 <Stuart>
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:32, Hunt M wrote:
> Ok so why then when-ever I put a volt meter on cars when running the
> multimeter reads anything from 14.2-14.4 Volts. I'm pretty sure it was a
> known fact that alternators put out 14.4 volts??

Because you have a bad multimeter at a guess?

14.4 volts will kill a battery in short time..
13.7 is the correct voltage for an alternator to put out, give or take a bit..

I've rejuvenated enough batteries to know what happens to them if they spend
any length of time as high as 14.4.. and it's not good.

Cully is not quite on the ball with the 12V+- a little for a charged battery
though, it can be quite a bit higher, up to around 13.5.. but it will usually
settle if left sitting for a week to around 13 volts for a fully charged
battery in top condition.

Regards,
Stuart W.

Re: Fuel pump   2004-02-11 16:30:00 <Hunt M>
ok so ASSUMING that my alternator is putting out 14.4 volts and will
therefore "kill" my battery....how much and how hard is it to find a new
regulator?

www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:32, Hunt M wrote:
> > Ok so why then when-ever I put a volt meter on cars when running the
> > multimeter reads anything from 14.2-14.4 Volts. I'm pretty sure it was a
> > known fact that alternators put out 14.4 volts??
>
> Because you have a bad multimeter at a guess?
>
> 14.4 volts will kill a battery in short time..
> 13.7 is the correct voltage for an alternator to put out, give or take a
bit..

> I've rejuvenated enough batteries to know what happens to them if they
spend
> any length of time as high as 14.4.. and it's not good.
>
> Cully is not quite on the ball with the 12V+- a little for a charged
battery
> though, it can be quite a bit higher, up to around 13.5.. but it will
usually
> settle if left sitting for a week to around 13 volts for a fully charged
> battery in top condition.
>
> Regards,
> Stuart W.

Re: Fuel pump   2004-02-11 20:14:00 <john shannon>

Going to try to run 2 fuel pumps and try to not run to rich i think the one i have got is running at its max.

>From: "Hunt M" <5uprah@supras.co.nz>
>Subject: Re: [sconz] Fuel pump
>Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:30:45 +1300
>
>ok so ASSUMING that my alternator is putting out 14.4 volts and will
>therefore "kill" my battery....how much and how hard is it to find a new
>regulator?
>
>   Cheers
>   Hunt
>   www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

Find your perfect match @ XtraMSN Personals!

Fuel pump   2004-03-04 13:44:00 <Hunt M>
Hey all,
After a GTR fuel pump. Anyone have one or know where to get one?
GTR as in nissan GTR, not celica haha

www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

Re: Fuel pump   2004-03-04 14:08:00 <Stuart>
On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 13:44, Hunt M wrote:
> Hey all,
> After a GTR fuel pump. Anyone have one or know where to get one?
> GTR as in nissan GTR, not celica haha

Why? The supra fuel pump is no small unit, and the Mk.4 pump is even larger, I
would have thought a GTR pump would be very expensive for what it is. How
much HP are you making? the Mk.3 should be good to over 300HP, and a Mk.4 or
dual Mk.3 to around 600HP.

the Mk.4 fuel pump can match a walbro 255l/h pump by most reports, and that
walbro pump is used as an upgrade on the GTR...

That Mk.4 and walbro pump can deliver about twice what a normal Mk.3 pump can
manage (not sure if a JZA70 has a Mk.3 or Mk.4 pump, BTW.. I'm guessing the
first..) so 2 Mk.3 pumps would also be just as good.

Regards,
Stuart.

Re: Fuel pump   2004-03-04 14:13:00 <Hunt M>
thanks for that Stuart, its not for me.......not even for a supra.....but
thanks all the same......i guess
as I asked before:
Does anyone have or know someone who does have a GTR fuel pump, I'll say
again that it is not for me or for a supra.

www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 13:44, Hunt M wrote:
> > Hey all,
> > After a GTR fuel pump. Anyone have one or know where to get one?
> > GTR as in nissan GTR, not celica haha
>
> Why? The supra fuel pump is no small unit, and the Mk.4 pump is even
larger, I
> would have thought a GTR pump would be very expensive for what it is. How
> much HP are you making? the Mk.3 should be good to over 300HP, and a Mk.4
or
> dual Mk.3 to around 600HP.
>
> the Mk.4 fuel pump can match a walbro 255l/h pump by most reports, and
that
> walbro pump is used as an upgrade on the GTR...
>
> That Mk.4 and walbro pump can deliver about twice what a normal Mk.3 pump
can
> manage (not sure if a JZA70 has a Mk.3 or Mk.4 pump, BTW.. I'm guessing
the
> first..) so 2 Mk.3 pumps would also be just as good.
>
> Regards,
> Stuart.

Re: Fuel pump   2004-03-04 14:18:00 <Hunt M>
Kinda off the track a little here and more for my own personal
curiousness....
the mkiii fuel pump.....is it the same through-out the MA and the GA series?

www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 13:44, Hunt M wrote:
> > Hey all,
> > After a GTR fuel pump. Anyone have one or know where to get one?
> > GTR as in nissan GTR, not celica haha
>
> Why? The supra fuel pump is no small unit, and the Mk.4 pump is even
larger, I
> would have thought a GTR pump would be very expensive for what it is. How
> much HP are you making? the Mk.3 should be good to over 300HP, and a Mk.4
or
> dual Mk.3 to around 600HP.
>
> the Mk.4 fuel pump can match a walbro 255l/h pump by most reports, and
that
> walbro pump is used as an upgrade on the GTR...
>
> That Mk.4 and walbro pump can deliver about twice what a normal Mk.3 pump
can
> manage (not sure if a JZA70 has a Mk.3 or Mk.4 pump, BTW.. I'm guessing
the
> first..) so 2 Mk.3 pumps would also be just as good.
>
> Regards,
> Stuart.

Re: Fuel pump   2004-03-04 14:24:00 <Hunt M>
also what is a MK 4 fuel pump worth and does someone have one?
You mention that the Walbro one is an upgrade to the gtr....has anyone heard
of a MK4 fuel pump going into a r32 gts-t?

www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 13:44, Hunt M wrote:
> > Hey all,
> > After a GTR fuel pump. Anyone have one or know where to get one?
> > GTR as in nissan GTR, not celica haha
>
> Why? The supra fuel pump is no small unit, and the Mk.4 pump is even
larger, I
> would have thought a GTR pump would be very expensive for what it is. How
> much HP are you making? the Mk.3 should be good to over 300HP, and a Mk.4
or
> dual Mk.3 to around 600HP.
>
> the Mk.4 fuel pump can match a walbro 255l/h pump by most reports, and
that
> walbro pump is used as an upgrade on the GTR...
>
> That Mk.4 and walbro pump can deliver about twice what a normal Mk.3 pump
can
> manage (not sure if a JZA70 has a Mk.3 or Mk.4 pump, BTW.. I'm guessing
the
> first..) so 2 Mk.3 pumps would also be just as good.
>
> Regards,
> Stuart.

Re: Fuel pump   2004-03-04 14:57:00 <Marc Archbold>

Hunt do you know how to use the Terminal Services/RDP client to access the
Toyota parts CD's Cully has made available?

> Kinda off the track a little here and more for my own personal
> curiousness....
> the mkiii fuel pump.....is it the same through-out the MA and the GA
> series?

> www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

Re: Fuel pump   2004-03-04 14:59:00 <Cully Paterson>
It's not there any more Marc - had to ditch it because of problems with
getting EPC to behave with large NTFS volumes.

> Hunt do you know how to use the Terminal Services/RDP client to access the
> Toyota parts CD's Cully has made available?
>
> > Kinda off the track a little here and more for my own personal
> > curiousness....
> > the mkiii fuel pump.....is it the same through-out the MA and the GA
> > series?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Hunt
> > www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

Re: Fuel pump   2004-03-04 15:12:00 <Hunt M>
nope.
care to share that info, on or off the list??
Thanks

www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

> Hunt do you know how to use the Terminal Services/RDP client to access the
> Toyota parts CD's Cully has made available?
>
> > Kinda off the track a little here and more for my own personal
> > curiousness....
> > the mkiii fuel pump.....is it the same through-out the MA and the GA
> > series?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Hunt
> > www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

gutted

www.supras.co.nz *Home to the not so standard 1G-GTE*

> It's not there any more Marc - had to ditch it because of problems with
> getting EPC to behave with large NTFS volumes.

Re: Fuel pump   2004-03-04 15:20:00 <Marc Archbold>

Damn, I'll miss that! Damn Ntfs :)

> > It's not there any more Marc - had to ditch it because of problems
> with
> > getting EPC to behave with large NTFS volumes.
> >
> > Cully

RE: Fuel pump   2004-03-04 20:45:00 <Suze W>
well actually funny you should want one... we have one at the workshop

how many coffees are you willing to make :P