why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 12:34:00 <Suze W>
i'm curious as to why some ppl say not to use a fuel cut defender

i have fitted a fuel cut defender to my car so i don't hit fuel cut, when i
didn't have it i could only run 6psi boost as i still hit fuel cut
i installed the fuel cut defender, went to bellars, got it dyno'd and set
the boost to 10psi, on 10psi i still have a fuel ratio of 11.1, so fuel is
fine and i have no fuel cut...

i believe that you can use a fuel cut defender as long as you tune your car
to a safe fuel ratio then you should have no problem
i have "never" run higher boost than 10psi so i think this is quite safe

opinions?

Check out the Xtra gaming servers @ http://xtramsn.co.nz/gaming

RE: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 12:37:00 <Doig, Richard>

> on 10psi i still have a fuel ratio of
> 11.1, so fuel is
> fine and i have no fuel cut...

And how did you check your timing is still OK under all operating
conditions?

Richard

error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.
For more information on the Air New Zealand Group, visit us online
at http://www.airnewzealand.com

RE: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 12:40:00 <Suze W>
>And how did you check your timing is still OK under all operating
>conditions?

what would the timing likely do?
and why check it?

Need more speed? Get Xtra JetStream @ http://xtra.co.nz/jetstream

RE: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 12:42:00 <Doig, Richard>

> >And how did you check your timing is still OK under all operating
> >conditions?
> >

> what would the timing likely do?
> and why check it?

Um, cause detonation perhaps?

Just because you have fuel at high boost it doesn't mean the ignition
advance tables are correct above fuel cut.

Richard

error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.
For more information on the Air New Zealand Group, visit us online
at http://www.airnewzealand.com

RE: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 12:49:00 <Suze W>
oh detonation, well i do know that i have no detonation whatsoever :)
so if timings all good (which i have no longer got advanced timing i set it
back to stock) and i've got fuel.... it's all good to use one?
also another factor is... some ppl don't have the money to spend on $400-600
on injectors and $40-100 on a lexus afm, so a fcd for $200 seems reasonable,
i mean as long as they tune it on a dyno and make sure they are not running
to high a boost they should be able to get away with it

>From: "Doig, Richard" <Richard.Doig@airnz.co.nz>
>Subject: RE: [sconz] why not use a fuel cut defender?
>Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:41:45 +1200
>

> > >And how did you check your timing is still OK under all operating
> > >conditions?
> > >

> > what would the timing likely do?
> > and why check it?
>
>Um, cause detonation perhaps?
>
>Just because you have fuel at high boost it doesn't mean the ignition
>advance tables are correct above fuel cut.
>
>Richard

>CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential
>information intended only for the use of the addressee named above.
>If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby
>notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction
>of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in
>error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
>in this message are those of the individual sender and may not
>necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.
>For more information on the Air New Zealand Group, visit us online
>at http://www.airnewzealand.com

There’s never been a better time to get Xtra JetStream @
http://xtra.co.nz/jetstream

RE: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 12:55:00 <Suze W>
admittedly there are ppl out there that go and buy fcd and put them on and
wind up the boost to 20psi and don't get it tuned.... as far as i'm
concerned those ppl are asking for trouble, and they run this 20psi or more
all day every day and wonder why they damage their engines.... now this
instance is thier own fault and i am not one of those ppl
gladly
:)

>From: "Suze W" <spite_girl@hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: [sconz] why not use a fuel cut defender?
>Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:48:39 +1200
>
>oh detonation, well i do know that i have no detonation whatsoever :)
>so if timings all good (which i have no longer got advanced timing i set it
>back to stock) and i've got fuel.... it's all good to use one?
>also another factor is... some ppl don't have the money to spend on
>$400-600 on injectors and $40-100 on a lexus afm, so a fcd for $200 seems
>reasonable, i mean as long as they tune it on a dyno and make sure they are
>not running to high a boost they should be able to get away with it
>
>Cheers
>
>Suze
>

>>From: "Doig, Richard" <Richard.Doig@airnz.co.nz>
>>Subject: RE: [sconz] why not use a fuel cut defender?
>>Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:41:45 +1200

>> > what would the timing likely do?
>> > and why check it?
>>
>>Um, cause detonation perhaps?
>>
>>Just because you have fuel at high boost it doesn't mean the ignition
>>advance tables are correct above fuel cut.
>>
>>Richard
>>
>>____________________________________________________________________
>>CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential
>>information intended only for the use of the addressee named above.
>>If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby
>>notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction
>>of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in
>>error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
>>in this message are those of the individual sender and may not
>>necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.
>>For more information on the Air New Zealand Group, visit us online
>>at http://www.airnewzealand.com
>>
>>---
>>Supra Club of New Zealand
>>http://www.supras.org.nz/

>There’s never been a better time to get Xtra JetStream @
>http://xtra.co.nz/jetstream

Check out the Xtra gaming servers @ http://xtramsn.co.nz/gaming

Re: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 13:04:00 <Cully Paterson>

> i'm curious as to why some ppl say not to use a fuel cut defender
>
> i have fitted a fuel cut defender to my car so i don't hit fuel cut, when
> didn't have it i could only run 6psi boost as i still hit fuel cut
> i installed the fuel cut defender, went to bellars, got it dyno'd and set
> the boost to 10psi, on 10psi i still have a fuel ratio of 11.1, so fuel is
> fine and i have no fuel cut...

Suze, why on earth are you bothering putting in an FCD to run your car at
10psi? If you're fuel cutting before 10psi boost under normal circumstances
then there's something wrong with your engine that *needs fixing*.

RE: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 13:07:00 <Cully Paterson>

And how do you KNOW you have no detonation? I can tell you from bitter experience that detonation in a Mk-III is very hard to hear. My first dyno session saw my engine detonating like hell, and I couldn't hear it inside the car. It wasn't until I looked at the video that it became apparent.

Re: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 13:09:00 <Suze W>
well since then haha *laughs nervously* the first time i got dyno'd for some
reason my boost wouldn't turn down and i was running somewhere above 12psi
so i took off the boost controller and thats when i discovered my orig ct26
had died... but i had the fcd fitted on the 12psi bit and was hitting fuel
cut that's when i discovered err boost leak, the outlet to the intercooler
was leaking so hence the early fuel cut, so with that now fixed it's fine
but hey the fuel cut defender can stay put lol

>From: "Cully Paterson" <cully@supras.org.nz>
>Subject: Re: [sconz] why not use a fuel cut defender?
>Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:04:37 +1200
>

> > i'm curious as to why some ppl say not to use a fuel cut defender
> >
> > i have fitted a fuel cut defender to my car so i don't hit fuel cut,
>when
> > didn't have it i could only run 6psi boost as i still hit fuel cut
> > i installed the fuel cut defender, went to bellars, got it dyno'd and
>set
> > the boost to 10psi, on 10psi i still have a fuel ratio of 11.1, so fuel
>is
> > fine and i have no fuel cut...
>
>Suze, why on earth are you bothering putting in an FCD to run your car at
>10psi? If you're fuel cutting before 10psi boost under normal
>circumstances
>then there's something wrong with your engine that *needs fixing*.
>
>Cully

Surf the net and talk on the phone with Xtra JetStream @
http://xtra.co.nz/jetstream

RE: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 13:18:00 <Suze W>
well i had the car dyno'd at bellars and i trust gavin would know if my car
was detonating... how else would i determine if the car is detonating, and
why would it on 10psi running 11.1 ratio?

>From: "Cully Paterson" <Cully@turbo.co.nz>
>Subject: RE: [sconz] why not use a fuel cut defender?
>Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:07:04 +1200

Watch movie trailers online with the Xtra Broadband Channel
http://xtra.co.nz/broadband

Re: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 13:20:00 <Cully Paterson>
Aaaarg. Didn't I just say that you can't hear the engine detonating from
inside the car when it's on the dyno??

> well i had the car dyno'd at bellars and i trust gavin would know if my
car
> was detonating... how else would i determine if the car is detonating, and
> why would it on 10psi running 11.1 ratio?

> >From: "Cully Paterson" <Cully@turbo.co.nz>
> >Subject: RE: [sconz] why not use a fuel cut defender?
> >Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:07:04 +1200

Re: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 13:51:00 <john shannon>

I got a fcd its been on my car for the past 18month the only time i detonated was becouse i maxed out my fuel pump but the engine did go bang but all good now with a 750hp fuel pump bigger injectors and a fuel pressure reg and running 18psi boost with no sweet of detonation.

>From: "Cully Paterson" <cully@supras.org.nz>
>Subject: Re: [sconz] why not use a fuel cut defender?
>Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:20:35 +1200
>
>Aaaarg.  Didn't I just say that you can't hear the engine detonating from
>inside the car when it's on the dyno??

Re: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 13:53:00 <Cully Paterson>
Different situation - the JZ head is MUCH less prone to detonation than the
7M is. Try to do anything similar like that on a 7M and it's good night
nurse.

I got a fcd its been on my car for the past 18month the only time i
detonated was becouse i maxed out my fuel pump but the engine did go bang
but all good now with a 750hp fuel pump bigger injectors and a fuel pressure
reg and running 18psi boost with no sweet of detonation.

>From: "Cully Paterson" <cully@supras.org.nz>
>Subject: Re: [sconz] why not use a fuel cut defender?
>Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:20:35 +1200
>
>Aaaarg. Didn't I just say that you can't hear the engine detonating from
>inside the car when it's on the dyno??

Re: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 13:56:00 <john shannon>

LOL sorry i was told the 7ms were just as strong as the 1jz

>From: "Cully Paterson" <cully@supras.org.nz>
>Subject: Re: [sconz] why not use a fuel cut defender?
>Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:53:19 +1200
>
>Different situation - the JZ head is MUCH less prone to detonation than the
>7M is.  Try to do anything similar like that on a 7M and it's good night
>nurse.

Check out news, entertainment and more on the Xtra Broadband Channel

Re: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 13:58:00 <Cully Paterson>
Strength has nothing to do with it. I'm talking about combustion chamber
characteristics and engine control.

Fact is that at 18psi on CT12As with an FCD you're abusing the hell out of
your engine. You're just damn lucky that the JZ is so tolerant of abuse.

LOL sorry i was told the 7ms were just as strong as the 1jz

>From: "Cully Paterson" <cully@supras.org.nz>
>Subject: Re: [sconz] why not use a fuel cut defender?
>Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:53:19 +1200
>
>Different situation - the JZ head is MUCH less prone to detonation than the
>7M is. Try to do anything similar like that on a 7M and it's good night
>nurse.

Re: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 13:59:00 <Hunt M>
why would the timing change?

> And how did you check your timing is still OK under all operating
> conditions?
>
> Richard

> CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential
> information intended only for the use of the addressee named above.
> If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby
> notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction
> of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in
> error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
> in this message are those of the individual sender and may not
> necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.
> For more information on the Air New Zealand Group, visit us online
> at http://www.airnewzealand.com

Re: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 14:02:00 <Hunt M>
Funny funny
Soon as I saw you post this I thought - Suze you little shit stirrer! lol

> i'm curious as to why some ppl say not to use a fuel cut defender
>
> i have fitted a fuel cut defender to my car so i don't hit fuel cut, when
> didn't have it i could only run 6psi boost as i still hit fuel cut
> i installed the fuel cut defender, went to bellars, got it dyno'd and set
> the boost to 10psi, on 10psi i still have a fuel ratio of 11.1, so fuel is
> fine and i have no fuel cut...
>
> i believe that you can use a fuel cut defender as long as you tune your
car
> to a safe fuel ratio then you should have no problem
> i have "never" run higher boost than 10psi so i think this is quite safe
>
> opinions?

> Check out the Xtra gaming servers @ http://xtramsn.co.nz/gaming

Re: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 14:03:00 <Hunt M>
How could you tell on the video that you were? The video picked up the
detonating sounds more distinctively?

> oh detonation, well i do know that i have no detonation whatsoever :)

And how do you KNOW you have no detonation? I can tell you from bitter
experience that detonation in a Mk-III is very hard to hear. My first dyno
session saw my engine detonating like hell, and I couldn't hear it inside
the car. It wasn't until I looked at the video that it became apparent.

Re: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 14:04:00 <Hunt M>
Why check timing?
Kinda plays a big part in engine management don't ya think? ;-)

> >And how did you check your timing is still OK under all operating
> >conditions?
> >

> what would the timing likely do?
> and why check it?

> Need more speed? Get Xtra JetStream @ http://xtra.co.nz/jetstream

Re: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 14:05:00 <Hunt M>
Why do the lexus mod over a FCD?

Safety

FCD seems to be a bit of hit and miss and "hope" you don't run lean and
detonate and if you engine doesn't then "good for you".
Lexus mod will mean that you WILL NOT lean out or detonate (to an extent
(30psi not included))

> oh detonation, well i do know that i have no detonation whatsoever :)
> so if timings all good (which i have no longer got advanced timing i set
it
> back to stock) and i've got fuel.... it's all good to use one?
> also another factor is... some ppl don't have the money to spend on
$400-600
> on injectors and $40-100 on a lexus afm, so a fcd for $200 seems
reasonable,
> i mean as long as they tune it on a dyno and make sure they are not
running
> to high a boost they should be able to get away with it

> >From: "Doig, Richard" <Richard.Doig@airnz.co.nz>
> >Subject: RE: [sconz] why not use a fuel cut defender?
> >Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:41:45 +1200

> > > what would the timing likely do?
> > > and why check it?
> >
> >Um, cause detonation perhaps?
> >
> >Just because you have fuel at high boost it doesn't mean the ignition
> >advance tables are correct above fuel cut.
> >
> >Richard
> >
> >____________________________________________________________________
> >CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential
> >information intended only for the use of the addressee named above.
> >If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby
> >notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction
> >of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in
> >error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
> >in this message are those of the individual sender and may not
> >necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.
> >For more information on the Air New Zealand Group, visit us online
> >at http://www.airnewzealand.com
> >
> >---
> >Supra Club of New Zealand
> >http://www.supras.org.nz/

> There's never been a better time to get Xtra JetStream @
> http://xtra.co.nz/jetstream

Re: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 14:06:00 <Hunt M>
I think 20 PSI on ANY engine all day long is asking for trouble

> admittedly there are ppl out there that go and buy fcd and put them on and
> wind up the boost to 20psi and don't get it tuned.... as far as i'm
> concerned those ppl are asking for trouble, and they run this 20psi or
more
> all day every day and wonder why they damage their engines.... now this
> instance is thier own fault and i am not one of those ppl
> gladly
> :)

> >From: "Suze W" <spite_girl@hotmail.com>
> >Subject: RE: [sconz] why not use a fuel cut defender?
> >Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:48:39 +1200
> >
> >oh detonation, well i do know that i have no detonation whatsoever :)
> >so if timings all good (which i have no longer got advanced timing i set
it
> >back to stock) and i've got fuel.... it's all good to use one?
> >also another factor is... some ppl don't have the money to spend on
> >$400-600 on injectors and $40-100 on a lexus afm, so a fcd for $200 seems
> >reasonable, i mean as long as they tune it on a dyno and make sure they
are
> >not running to high a boost they should be able to get away with it
> >
> >Cheers
> >
> >Suze
> >

> >>From: "Doig, Richard" <Richard.Doig@airnz.co.nz>
> >>Subject: RE: [sconz] why not use a fuel cut defender?
> >>Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:41:45 +1200

> >>Um, cause detonation perhaps?
> >>
> >>Just because you have fuel at high boost it doesn't mean the ignition
> >>advance tables are correct above fuel cut.
> >>
> >>Richard
> >>
> >>____________________________________________________________________
> >>CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential
> >>information intended only for the use of the addressee named above.
> >>If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby
> >>notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction
> >>of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in
> >>error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
> >>in this message are those of the individual sender and may not
> >>necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.
> >>_____________________________________________________________________
> >>For more information on the Air New Zealand Group, visit us online
> >>at http://www.airnewzealand.com
> >>_____________________________________________________________________
> >>
> >>---
> >>Supra Club of New Zealand
> >>http://www.supras.org.nz/

> >There's never been a better time to get Xtra JetStream @
> >http://xtra.co.nz/jetstream
> >

> >---
> >Supra Club of New Zealand
> >http://www.supras.org.nz/

> Check out the Xtra gaming servers @ http://xtramsn.co.nz/gaming

Re: why not use a fuel cut defender?   2004-03-29 14:08:00 <Cully Paterson>