1j crossmember   2004-09-26 18:38:00 <john shannon>
had an interesting day today... going round a corner and turned the steering and car went straight ahead
turns out the steering rack bracket broke away from the crossmember
so pulled off crossmember to get it strengthened and wack her back in

yesterday was testing out the new electronic boost controller... on one of the tests at 30 pound i heard a big crackkkkkkkk... sounded kinda like intercooler pipe or something... consequently found out today what broke

Surf the net and talk on the phone with Xtra JetStream!

Re: 1j crossmember   2004-09-26 19:33:00 <Dave Thom>
Ahhh... the good old shit steering rack mounting brackets :) Has anyone not had one of these break? thats 3 I know of now.... Nothing a bit of welding doesn't fix luckily enough... I'm waiting for mine to go on the soarer now personally... specially without the power steering helping it :)

Regards

Dave Thom
IT Engineer
021 140 4657
----- Original Message -----
From: john shannon
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2004 6:37 PM
Subject: [sconz] 1j crossmember

had an interesting day today... going round a corner and turned the steering and car went straight ahead
turns out the steering rack bracket broke away from the crossmember
so pulled off crossmember to get it strengthened and wack her back in

yesterday was testing out the new electronic boost controller... on one of the tests at 30 pound i heard a big crackkkkkkkk... sounded kinda like intercooler pipe or something... consequently found out today what broke

Re: 1j crossmember   2004-09-26 21:42:00 <Pat Davison>
S%#t - I hope this is only an isolated instance - with the sort of cornering speeds a good MA70 is capable of, I can think of a thousand corners where instant death would have been the result of this happening on my car.
Should we all be doing as John has done, and be re doing the welds?
Cheers
Pat D

Re: 1j crossmember   2004-09-26 22:03:00 <john shannon>

It was the crossmember that ripped apart.

>From: "Dave Thom" <supras@boost.org.nz>
>Subject: Re: [sconz] 1j crossmember
>Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:31:14 +1200
>
>Ahhh... the good old shit steering rack mounting brackets :) Has anyone not had one of these break? thats 3 I know of now.... Nothing a bit of welding doesn't fix luckily enough... I'm waiting for mine to go on the soarer now personally... specially without the power steering helping it :)
>
>Regards
>
>Dave Thom
>IT Engineer
>021 140 4657

There’s never been a better time to get Xtra JetStream!

Re: Re:1j crossmember   2004-09-27 06:49:00 <Dave Thom>
Its not the welds, its the thickness of the metal used on the leading edge
of the crossmember where the steering rack bolts to that tears leaving the
bolt attached to its own little "island" of metal...

Regards

Dave Thom
IT Engineer
021 140 4657
> S%#t - I hope this is only an isolated instance - with the sort of
cornering speeds a good MA70 is capable of, I can think of a thousand
corners where instant death would have been the result of this happening on
my car.
> Should we all be doing as John has done, and be re doing the welds?
> Cheers
> Pat D

Re: 1j crossmember   2004-09-27 06:50:00 <Dave Thom>
Whereabouts on the crossmember ripped apart?

Regards

Dave Thom
IT Engineer
021 140 4657
It was the crossmember that ripped apart.

>From: "Dave Thom" <supras@boost.org.nz>
>Subject: Re: [sconz] 1j crossmember
>Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:31:14 +1200
>
>Ahhh... the good old shit steering rack mounting brackets :) Has anyone not had one of these break? thats 3 I know of now.... Nothing a bit of welding doesn't fix luckily enough... I'm waiting for mine to go on the soarer now personally... specially without the power steering helping it :)
>
>Regards
>
>Dave Thom
>IT Engineer
>021 140 4657

Re: Re:1j crossmember   2004-09-27 18:34:00 <ZFetsh>
I had a look with Suze and John when it came off the truck and DAMN it looks like a b'stard to fix! Looks like John would be better off welding in a longer, thicker and wider plate to mount the steering rack on to, otherwise the bloody thing will just break again under the strain of his chassis twisting!

Re:Re:1j crossmember   2004-09-27 21:02:00 <john shannon>

All done back on the road again thanks to quest 4 for all the weilding and suze for all the help with ripping it out and puting it back in.