Which turbo is blown?   2004-12-26 17:18:00 <Andy S>
Hi all

1GGTE. Idels fine, no smoke. Any load and there is
quite a bit of oil smoke. Turbos? I haven't tried to
boost as I didn't know if this was a good idea? Should
I see if I get any boost?

Should I replace both turbos, or can I tell which on
is leaking?

Cheers
Andy S

http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com

RE: Which turbo is blown?   2004-12-27 10:59:00 <Cully Paterson>

Best thing to do is to start with the simple stuff: pull the intake
pipes from either turbo and look for oil residue in them. If that's no
good, pull the exhaust and see if you can see which side of the joiner
the oil is coming from. Usually between those two things it should be
reasonably obvious if one or the other is knackered.

Re: Which turbo is blown?   2004-12-27 11:10:00 <Hanré Van Rensburg>
You can also just pull the intake pipes off of the side of the turbo's and
try to wiggle the shafts around. That way you can tell wether you have
snapped a shaft or not.

> 1GGTE. Idels fine, no smoke. Any load and there is quite a
> bit of oil smoke. Turbos? I haven't tried to boost as I
> didn't know if this was a good idea? Should I see if I get any boost?
>
> Should I replace both turbos, or can I tell which on is leaking?

Best thing to do is to start with the simple stuff: pull the intake
pipes from either turbo and look for oil residue in them. If that's no
good, pull the exhaust and see if you can see which side of the joiner
the oil is coming from. Usually between those two things it should be
reasonably obvious if one or the other is knackered.

RE: Which turbo is blown?   2004-12-27 11:16:00 <Cully Paterson>

Not always. With the turbos in place it's entirely possible for them to 'feel' fine even with a snapped shaft.

Besides, the chances of snapping a shaft on an otherwise stock set-up is pretty miniscule. Chances are that Andy has a set of turbos that haven't had good oil/regular oil changes, and they've carbon'd up and wrecked the turbine end piston ring.

Re: Which turbo is blown?   2004-12-27 11:18:00 <Hanré Van Rensburg>
Granted....

But with the first set of turbo's I pulled off of my 1G a couple of months
back I did actually snap a shaft in the rear turbo. Thought it might be a
regular occurance :P