Water Jacket Temp Sensor - ATTN Cully   2005-05-12 10:46:00 <Dave Thom>
You posted a while back about this sensor being partially faulty causing =
symptoms such as over rich, stalling etc. I'm planning on replacing mine =
but just curious as to whether you (or anyone) knows which one it is on =
the 1G. Just below the thermostat housing there are two sensors/plugs. =
One with a green plug, one with an orange or brown plug. Which one of =
these is the sensor I should be replacing? Cheers

Have fun, keep it sideways!

Looonie
029 566 6643

RE: Water Jacket Temp Sensor - ATTN Cully   2005-05-12 10:50:00 <Cully Paterson>
On the 1G I wouldn't have a clue, but you can work it out fairly easily.
You'll have a mix of sensors that do different things:
- Electric fan control
- Temperature gauge
- ECU feed

Keep pulling plugs with the engine running and you should be able to
work out which one it is quite easily. If you're not 100% sure you've
got the right one then hook up a variable resister to the one you think
it is and see if the engine behaviour changes when you alter the
resistence (from memory a 47k pot is about what you need).

Cully

_____

You posted a while back about this sensor being partially faulty
causing =
symptoms such as over rich, stalling etc. I'm planning on
replacing mine =
but just curious as to whether you (or anyone) knows which one
it is on =
the 1G. Just below the thermostat housing there are two
sensors/plugs. =
One with a green plug, one with an orange or brown plug. Which
one of =
these is the sensor I should be replacing? Cheers

Have fun, keep it sideways!

Looonie
029 566 6643
Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger
http://www.turbo.co.nz

RE: Water Jacket Temp Sensor - ATTN Cully   2005-05-12 10:56:00 <Doig, Richard>
Toyotas are fairly common, from memory ECU temp is a green two wire plug,
Cold-start switch is the brown one. A single wire is for the dash temp
gauge. Then there might be a temp sensor for the AC... And the fan sensor
Cully mentioned...

_____

You posted a while back about this sensor being partially faulty causing =
symptoms such as over rich, stalling etc. I'm planning on replacing mine =
but just curious as to whether you (or anyone) knows which one it is on =
the 1G. Just below the thermostat housing there are two sensors/plugs. =
One with a green plug, one with an orange or brown plug. Which one of =
these is the sensor I should be replacing? Cheers

Have fun, keep it sideways!

Looonie
029 566 6643

error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.
For more information on the Air New Zealand Group, visit us online
at http://www.airnewzealand.com

Re: Water Jacket Temp Sensor - ATTN Cully   2005-05-12 11:38:00 <Dave Thom>
Well I tried that test.. unplugged the green one with the car running, no difference, temperature gauge on dash still displayed my temperature... so unplugged the orange one... and nothing changed, temperature gauge on the dash still worked... :\

On a side note, I "adjusted" the AFM by moving it 2 notches leaner, now unfortunately I have no method of telling if my engine is detonating, but it felt like there was more power/torque there and no big cloud of black/brown smoke behind me whenever I boosted or changed gears... however there does appear a small wiff of white smoke behind me when I boost... would this be a bad sign? (I know white smoke is normally attributed to water/coolant burning in the mixture, but I'm more concerned whether it could be a sign of detonation that I can't hear...)

Have fun, keep it sideways!

Looonie
029 566 6643

You posted a while back about this sensor being partially faulty causing =
symptoms such as over rich, stalling etc. I'm planning on replacing mine =
but just curious as to whether you (or anyone) knows which one it is on =
the 1G. Just below the thermostat housing there are two sensors/plugs. =
One with a green plug, one with an orange or brown plug. Which one of =
these is the sensor I should be replacing? Cheers

Have fun, keep it sideways!

Looonie
029 566 6643

Re: Water Jacket Temp Sensor - ATTN Cully   2005-05-12 11:39:00 <Dave Thom>
Jolly good, well I'll assume its the green one then and bear that in mind... might price up a new one from Toyota to save the possibility of buying a 2nd hand one thats in just as bad a condition as mine...

Cheers for that

Have fun, keep it sideways!

Looonie
029 566 6643
[...]

Re: Water Jacket Temp Sensor - ATTN Cully   2005-05-12 11:45:00 <Hunt M>
white SMOKE is oil burning - blue and white smoke is oil burning at different temperatures - one is when the oil is burnt at a higher temp than the other - from memory??