RE: wastegate question   2005-06-09 16:33:00 <Darcy Cresswell>
Hi all,

Don't want to sound completely stupid, but can anyone tell me why my
external wastegate has 2 vacuum/pressure lines coming off it? by the looks
of it one is below and one is above the diaphragm. More importantly, where
do they connect to? (ie before/after throttle butterfly)

cheers, Darcy

Discover fun and games at @ http://xtramsn.co.nz/kids

RE: wastegate question   2005-06-09 16:55:00 <Cully Paterson>
One is the normal vacuum feed that you'd expect on a wastegate, the
other is for boost controllers that will pressure feed onto the other
side of the diaphragm to force the wastegate shut. The idea is that it
increases the response speed of the wastegate and helps eliminate boost
creep.

Re: wastegate question   2005-06-10 15:31:00 <Hunt M>
Hey Cully - or anyone else who might be able to help.
With this secondary vacumm (or boost infact) feed - how should it be set up?
Currently I have
A direct feed going into the side of the waste gate for 1st stage which is
controlled by the main wastegate spring and then via a solinoid I have
another feed going onto the top of the wastegate to hold the wastegate shut.
Is this how it should be set up?

One is the normal vacuum feed that you'd expect on a wastegate, the
other is for boost controllers that will pressure feed onto the other
side of the diaphragm to force the wastegate shut. The idea is that it
increases the response speed of the wastegate and helps eliminate boost
creep.

RE: wastegate question   2005-06-10 15:34:00 <Cully Paterson>
You are right in that it's another boost feed (realised that after I
sent the message yesterday).

However, you do actually need a boost controller that knows about
external wastegates in order to use that second feed (unless you like
sudden attacks of 40psi boost). It can't be done manually.

Re: wastegate question   2005-06-10 15:39:00 <Hunt M>
For some reason I couldn't get more than around 14 psi with the K26 turbo on
that set up - it just wouldn't hold it enough - I think it was more to do
with the crap set up I had.
I'll be looking at going electronic boost controller after the rebuild

You are right in that it's another boost feed (realised that after I
sent the message yesterday).

However, you do actually need a boost controller that knows about
external wastegates in order to use that second feed (unless you like
sudden attacks of 40psi boost). It can't be done manually.

RE: wastegate question   2005-06-10 15:41:00 <Cully Paterson>
In which case your prime concern is buying an EBC that supports external
wastegates then...

Re: wastegate question   2005-06-10 15:52:00 <Hunt M>
If I cant find one that supports that feature of an external wastegate I'd
have to get a stiffer spring and not using the secondary feed of the
wastegate?

In which case your prime concern is buying an EBC that supports external
wastegates then...

RE: wastegate question   2005-06-10 15:55:00 <Doig, Richard>

> If I cant find one that supports that feature of an external wastegate

Profec B, dipswitch selectable.

I'd
> have to get a stiffer spring and not using the secondary feed of the
> wastegate?

error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.
For more information on the Air New Zealand Group, visit us online
at http://www.airnewzealand.com

RE: wastegate question   2005-06-10 15:55:00 <Cully Paterson>
The spring tension has nothing to do with it. The secondary is there to
force the wastegate closed faster than by spring alone rather than to
assist closing it by adding extra pressure.

The secondary is to promote quicker wastegate response for both opening
and closing, rather than just for opening as with a single-feed
controller/manual controller.

Re: wastegate question   2005-06-10 16:01:00 <Hunt M>
Hang on - forget about the secodary for a sec
Could I not use the the screw on the top of the wastegate for the first
stage (8-10psi) and then with an electronic boost controller bleed off or
restrict the pressure going to that primary feed (i.e. raising boost
levels)?

The spring tension has nothing to do with it. The secondary is there to
force the wastegate closed faster than by spring alone rather than to
assist closing it by adding extra pressure.

The secondary is to promote quicker wastegate response for both opening
and closing, rather than just for opening as with a single-feed
controller/manual controller.

RE: wastegate question   2005-06-10 16:06:00 <Cully Paterson>
I know not of the screw you speak of... Does the Audi wastegate have an
adjustable spring tensioner in it?

Re: wastegate question   2005-06-10 16:09:00 <Hunt M>
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Envthis/Pics/Turbo%20Conversion/wastegateuprig
ht.jpg

My thumb is on top of the spring screw.

I know not of the screw you speak of... Does the Audi wastegate have an
adjustable spring tensioner in it?

RE: wastegate question   2005-06-10 16:28:00 <Cully Paterson>
Heh, off ya go.

That's the stroke adjuster - that's the screw that limits the travel of
the wastegate valve. Problem is that if you adjust it up, you prevent
the wastegate from opening any further in overboost situations, so it
ceases to be able to control the boost level == bang.

RE: wastegate question   2005-06-10 17:31:00 <Marc Archbold>

Such as a Greddy Profec B-Spec II. (anticipating..)

> In which case your prime concern is buying an EBC that supports
> external
> wastegates then...

RE: wastegate question   2005-06-11 12:39:00 <Hunt M>
That screw presses down on top of the spring - I can see what you mean how
it would limit the amount of travel the valve will open but does it not also
compress the spring and therefore making it tougher for the valve to open =
more boost?