New member and 1G-GTE   2001-08-04 09:44:00 <Gail>
I just wanted to say "Hello" and introduce myself to the list. My boyfriend
and I have 4 Supras between us (check www.tigersport.co.uk). We have a mk3
3.0i auto (currently written off following an accident), a mk3 3.0i manual
(the donor car), mk3 3.0T (modded) and a mk3 2.0TT (1G-GTE non runner). The
2.0TT is a complete mystery to us. Here in the UK there is virtually no
information available on this car as it's not a UK model (she's imported).
We can't get hold of any manuals etc. We are trying to work out why she
won't start using the TSRM for the 7M-GTE. We would appreciate if anyone can
point us in the direction of a wiring diagram and/or TSRM. Basically the
engine cranks but will not pick up. We have tested almost everything
electrical and suspect either the Air Flow Meter or ECU (and/or the wiring).
All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Gail and Tim

RE: New member and 1G-GTE   2001-08-04 17:47:00 <M Rosser>
Welcome to the list!! I have just been drooling over your site. After
looking at your car, I think I will have to paint mine red! Anyway, I don't
have any diagrams for you as mine is a 1JZ, but I am sure there are enough
people with the 2.0L TT who can give you some tips. The only one I can think
of is to make sure fuel pressure is at the injector rail and it is the
correct pressure.

Anyway, I'm going back to look at your site, the only thing I was wondering
is which part of England are you from?

Thanks
Murray

RE: New member and 1G-GTE   2001-08-05 03:13:00 <paul.r.davis@...>

hi im also a 2.0 ltr tt supra owner in uk,just read your email regarding non
starter have you tried the "SUPRA MAN "in meopham kent,hes a supra
expert,email me if you want for his details.also can you tell me what make
of exhaust is fitted to your supra.
thanks paul.

Re: New member and 1G-GTE   2001-08-05 11:20:00 <Suze & Stu Glen>
Hi guys welcome to S.C.O.N.Z

Just thought id drop you a line and see if we can help
but ist i should tell you who i am
My name is Stu and my wife is Suze or Suzanne depending if im in trouble
or not, just kidding
We currently have two Supras a 1990 3.ot wide body in cherry black which
you may have seen in the gallery but it has since been lowerd & had 17"
chrome alloys put on it and has been sign written for our car security
buisness.
The other is a 1986 3.0t all original in white with burgundy leather trim
this car has just been put back together after a complete panal and
respray just due to wear and tear.
other than that we have about 5 cars two 4x4's and two motor bikes, some
of the cars are for our installation staff but we also have a 4 wheel
drive buisness that sells off road accessories and build modified 4x4's
for our customers.

Ok enough crap about us lets see, well 1st the air flow meter only
meashers air temp and velocity so it will effect timmming and mixture info
to the ECU but it is not essential to starting. You say the engine cranks
ok and i presume cylinder compression is ok.
Have you checked the ignighter modual to ensure it is fireing the coils in
sequence,you may need to check each coil sepprately for fireing, is the
fual new or old it may be stale if the car has been sitting for some
months, have you checked for adiquate fuel presure, remember is not all
that complex its just an engine all it needs is air fuel and compression
sometimes you need to stand back and take a look from a distance to see
the trees before the forrest i susspect you may have overlooked something
fairly simple these engines are incredably reliable the one i just had
repainted had been sitting for over a year we put in a new battery, some
new fuel put a little eather in the inlet and away she went 1st crank. oh
year what about a blocked fuel filter especialy if its an import, most
people never change them.
Well i hope i have helped let me know how you go.
Take care cause we do.

Kind Regards
Stu and Suze

Re: New member and 1G-GTE   2001-08-05 17:13:00 <Lee Dobson>
I have a 2.0 litre TT lets clear up some myths

1 - The air flow meter is important when starting, it is hooked to the
fuel pump via a relay system called the "open circuit relay", try holding
the flap open a bit and then starting it

2 - The 1G-GTE only has one coil not like the 7M's which have a coil
for each cylinder.

3 - When we did my engine conversion I couldn't get it started either.

Check the following
all block earths and ecu earths,
use a volt meter and check for 12v at the fuel pump when cranking,
also there is a small block with a silver heat sync on it beside the block
this is the injector resistors for the injection system,
we couldn't get ours to start as the 12v rail to the injector resistors was
missing.

Any other questions regarding starting 1G-GTE's just e-mail the group or me
at grandprix@free.net.nz

Cheers
Lee Dobson

> I just wanted to say "Hello" and introduce myself to the list. My
boyfriend
> and I have 4 Supras between us (check www.tigersport.co.uk). We have a mk3
> 3.0i auto (currently written off following an accident), a mk3 3.0i manual
> (the donor car), mk3 3.0T (modded) and a mk3 2.0TT (1G-GTE non runner).
The
> 2.0TT is a complete mystery to us. Here in the UK there is virtually no
> information available on this car as it's not a UK model (she's imported).
> We can't get hold of any manuals etc. We are trying to work out why she
> won't start using the TSRM for the 7M-GTE. We would appreciate if anyone
can
> point us in the direction of a wiring diagram and/or TSRM. Basically the
> engine cranks but will not pick up. We have tested almost everything
> electrical and suspect either the Air Flow Meter or ECU (and/or the
wiring).
> All suggestions greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Gail and Tim

Re: New member and 1G-GTE   2001-08-05 20:50:00 <Marc Archbold>
Good points Lee! To add:

> I have a 2.0 litre TT lets clear up some myths
>
> 1 - The air flow meter is important when starting, it is hooked to
the
> fuel pump via a relay system called the "open circuit relay", try holding
> the flap open a bit and then starting it

The fuel pump will is fed +12 when cranking, after cranking the Flapper type
AFM has to be open which in turn closes a set of contacts within the AFM
thus enabling the Fuel pump via the 'Fuel pump relay'. Obviously a safety
feature.

> 2 - The 1G-GTE only has one coil not like the 7M's which have a coil
> for each cylinder.
>
> 3 - When we did my engine conversion I couldn't get it started
either.

> Check the following
> all block earths and ecu earths,
> use a volt meter and check for 12v at the fuel pump when cranking,
> also there is a small block with a silver heat sync on it beside the block
> this is the injector resistors for the injection system,
> we couldn't get ours to start as the 12v rail to the injector resistors
was
> missing.

All of this can be checked at the Diagnostic/ Check Engine Connector.
For a simple fuel pump operation, with the key in the ON position push the
AFM flap, you should hear the pump operating (quiet environment). Otherwise
check with a multimeter by probing the FP and ground on the diag connector.
We had missed the +12 to the Injector rails, in which case we resolved
within minutes of checking the Diagnostic connector - All you should need to
diag is here!!!

Cheers,
Marc

> Any other questions regarding starting 1G-GTE's just e-mail the group or
me
> at grandprix@free.net.nz

Re: New member and 1G-GTE   2001-08-05 22:42:00 <John Rosser>
> 2 - The 1G-GTE only has one coil not like the 7M's which have a coil
> for each cylinder.

just to clarify this bit, the 7M doesn't have one coil for each cylinder, at
least not in the earlier ones. they have three coil-packs that site on top
of the motor under the black cover with intercooler turbo on it. each
coil-pack works two cylinders. can't quite remember which order it goes in,
but i think its 1-4 2-5 3-6. i think (don't quote) the 1jz was the only
mkIII to come with 6 coilpacks, had to change the sparkplugs on dads one
couple of years back. four or five hours later.....

hope that bit of info helps someone.

john rosser
mkIII 7mgte
hamilton