where to place oil temp sensor   2006-04-01 13:38:00 <Suze>
hey guys

just wondering where would be the best place to put an oil temp sensor

i was thinking of putting it next to oil pressure with an adaptor

what do ya think

RE: where to place oil temp sensor   2006-04-03 10:48:00 <Cully Paterson>

From: Suze [mailto:suprra@gmail.com]
Subject: [sconz] where to place oil temp sensor

> just wondering where would be the best place to put an oil temp
sensor

> i was thinking of putting it next to oil pressure with an
adaptor

Not really. The simplest arrangement I've seen is to tap a thread
through the sump plug, and put a small thermocouple in there. That way
you've got a couple of litres of oil in the immediate vicinity, and the
temperature reading will be more likely to be stable at the sump oil
temp and not be affected by surrounding block/water jacket heat.

Re: where to place oil temp sensor   2006-04-03 10:59:00 <Suze>
that's an awesome idea

i think i'll go with that

On 4/3/06, Cully Paterson <Cully@supras.org.nz> wrote:

> From: Suze [mailto:suprra@gmail.com]
> Subject: [sconz] where to place oil temp sensor
>

> > just wondering where would be the best place to put an oil temp
> sensor
>
> > i was thinking of putting it next to oil pressure with an
> adaptor
>
> Not really. The simplest arrangement I've seen is to tap a thread
> through the sump plug, and put a small thermocouple in there. That way
> you've got a couple of litres of oil in the immediate vicinity, and the
> temperature reading will be more likely to be stable at the sump oil
> temp and not be affected by surrounding block/water jacket heat.

RE: where to place oil temp sensor   2006-04-03 11:00:00 <Cully Paterson>
Make sure you can disconnect the sensor - you don't want to twist the
cable up every time you do an oil change....

_____

> just wondering where would be the best place to
put an oil temp
sensor

> i was thinking of putting it next to oil
pressure with an
adaptor

Not really. The simplest arrangement I've seen is to
tap a thread
through the sump plug, and put a small thermocouple in
there. That way
you've got a couple of litres of oil in the immediate
vicinity, and the
temperature reading will be more likely to be stable at
the sump oil
temp and not be affected by surrounding block/water
jacket heat.

Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger
http://www.turbo.co.nz

www.supra.co.nz --- Supra Club of New Zealand -

Re: where to place oil temp sensor   2006-04-03 11:24:00 <Hunt M>
Lucky for you 7M ppl with big sump bolts. The 1G has a small (14mm IIRK) one so I've had to drill a hole and braize on a fitting next to it - but yes sump is the best place for it. You dont want to put it on an adapter with the oil pressure sender as there isn't really any flow going past there - just pressure....