HKS VPC question   2006-04-21 12:01:00 <Hunt M>
Hey,

I have a VPC which I will be installing. For those who do not know, the VPC
(Vein Pressure Converter) allows you to remove your AFM for MAP style. It
has the 1G-GTE specific chip in it. I was wondering if, as long as you're
running stock injectors, you could just zero all the dials and if that would
work?

Here's a link to a picture of the front of it.

www.supras.co.nz/vpc.jpg

Thanks

RE: HKS VPC question   2006-04-21 12:05:00 <john shannon>

I think the best way will be to get it on a dyno and see what your fuel is doing befor you start boosting.

I have a VPC which I will be installing. For those who do not know, the VPC (Vein Pressure Converter) allows you to remove your AFM for MAP style. It has the 1G-GTE specific chip in it. I was wondering if, as long as you’re running stock injectors, you could just zero all the dials and if that would work?

Here’s a link to a picture of the front of it.

www.supras.co.nz/vpc.jpg

Thanks

Become a fitness fanatic with XtraMSN Health & Fitness!

Re: HKS VPC question   2006-04-21 12:07:00 <Suze>
in my opinion you should be able to zero everything initially

On 4/21/06, john shannon <jshannon55@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I think the best way will be to get it on a dyno and see what your fuel
> is doing befor you start boosting.

> Hey,
>

> I have a VPC which I will be installing. For those who do not know, the
> VPC (Vein Pressure Converter) allows you to remove your AFM for MAP style.
> It has the 1G-GTE specific chip in it. I was wondering if, as long as you're
> running stock injectors, you could just zero all the dials and if that would
> work?
>

> Here's a link to a picture of the front of it.
>

> www.supras.co.nz/vpc.jpg
>

> Thanks

RE: HKS VPC question   2006-04-21 12:34:00 <Hunt M>
That's what I thought. Especially seeing as it has the correct chip for my
engine, so unless I got for larger injectors it should be just like stock
when zero'd.

Suze do you know of anyone with the VPC on a 7M? if so could you ask them?

_____

I have a VPC which I will be installing. For those who do not know, the VPC
(Vein Pressure Converter) allows you to remove your AFM for MAP style. It
has the 1G-GTE specific chip in it. I was wondering if, as long as you're
running stock injectors, you could just zero all the dials and if that would
work?

Here's a link to a picture of the front of it.

www.supras.co.nz/vpc.jpg

Thanks

<http://www.turbo.co.nz/>

_____

Become a fitness fanatic with XtraMSN Health
<http://g.msn.com/8HMAENNZ/2728??PS=47575> & Fitness! ---

<http://www.supras.org.nz/>
<http://www.turbo.co.nz/>

www.supra.co.nz --- Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/

RE: HKS VPC question   2006-04-21 12:41:00 <Doig, Richard>
Assuming that the chip was developed for an engine with the same
exhaust/intake/wear/coking/fuel as your one. Unlikely huh.

________________________________

I have a VPC which I will be installing. For those who do not know, the
VPC (Vein Pressure Converter) allows you to remove your AFM for MAP
style. It has the 1G-GTE specific chip in it. I was wondering if, as
long as you're running stock injectors, you could just zero all the
dials and if that would work?

Here's a link to a picture of the front of it.

www.supras.co.nz/vpc.jpg

Thanks

Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger
http://www.turbo.co.nz <http://www.turbo.co.nz/>

www.supra.co.nz --- Supra Club of New Zealand -

error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.
For more information on the Air New Zealand Group, visit us online
at http://www.airnewzealand.com

RE: HKS VPC question   2006-04-21 12:48:00 <Hunt M>
Yes very unlikely - however - my stock AFM or ECU was not developed for my
exhaust/intake/wear/coking/fuel, as I imagine neither was yours?

_____

[...]

RE: HKS VPC question   2006-04-21 12:58:00 <Doig, Richard>
You've turned this around into you versus me again simply because you
don't understand the technical issues. This discussion has *nothing* to
do with my car.

Suze commented that you should be able to zero everything. That's fine,
as long as you are aware that setting them all to +4 will have the same
effect, in that you don't know what the engine is doing at those
settings. All zeros could be bollocks for your engine, that's all.

My advice is only fit the unit if you are going to adjust the settings
on the dyno (or alternative monitoring) before significant running.

Once again, Toyota ECU's LEARN. Dodgy black boxes in the hands of those
that don't may therefore not have the intended result.

________________________________

[...]

Re: HKS VPC question   2006-04-21 13:02:00 <Suze>
it will be a bit of a tutu with the dials on a dyno to get it right

maybe you should get it running as it was before... then when ready for a
dyno install it then?
just in case it has a dodgy idle or something, at idle lean isn't really
going to matter too much but it's the driving part that is unknown
i guess you could borrow my wideband when i get it back to help tune it,
more than likely yours will be going first lol

On 4/21/06, Doig, Richard <Richard.Doig@airnz.co.nz> wrote:

> You've turned this around into you versus me again simply because you
> don't understand the technical issues. This discussion has **nothing** to
> do with my car.
>

> Suze commented that you should be able to zero everything. That's fine, as
> long as you are aware that setting them all to +4 will have the same effect,
> in that you don't know what the engine is doing at those settings. All zeros
> could be bollocks for your engine, that's all.
>

> My advice is only fit the unit if you are going to adjust the settings on
> the dyno (or alternative monitoring) before significant running.
>

> Once again, Toyota ECU's LEARN. Dodgy black boxes in the hands of those
> that don't may therefore not have the intended result.

> *Subject:* RE: [sconz] HKS VPC question
>

> Yes very unlikely however my stock AFM or ECU was not developed for my
> exhaust/intake/wear/coking/fuel, as I imagine neither was yours?

> *Subject:* RE: [sconz] HKS VPC question
>

> Assuming that the chip was developed for an engine with the same
> exhaust/intake/wear/coking/fuel as your one. Unlikely huh.

> *Subject:* Re: [sconz] HKS VPC question
>

> in my opinion you should be able to zero everything initially
>
> On 4/21/06, *john shannon* <jshannon55@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think the best way will be to get it on a dyno and see what your fuel is
> doing befor you start boosting.

> Hey,
>

> I have a VPC which I will be installing. For those who do not know, the
> VPC (Vein Pressure Converter) allows you to remove your AFM for MAP style.
> It has the 1G-GTE specific chip in it. I was wondering if, as long as you're
> running stock injectors, you could just zero all the dials and if that would
> work?
>

> Here's a link to a picture of the front of it.
>

> www.supras.co.nz/vpc.jpg
>

> Thanks

> 7M POWAH! ;)

> CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential
> information intended only for the use of the addressee named above.
> If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby
> notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction
> of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in
> error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
> in this message are those of the individual sender and may not
> necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.
> CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential
> information intended only for the use of the addressee named above.
> If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby
> notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction
> of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in
> error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
> in this message are those of the individual sender and may not
> necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.

RE: HKS VPC question   2006-04-21 13:20:00 <Hunt M>
Sorry Richard I didn't mean for it to me a me versus you argument - I was
using you as an example :-)

What I'm saying is that if someone changes their intercooler or turbo setup,
such as I have, they can still run the stock ECU fine, as I, and many others
have. Because the VPC does not replace the ECU in any way, it will still be
able to do it's learning as it did previous. The VPC mearly converts MAP
signal into flapper door, karmen vortex and hotwire, so the ECU can
understand it. So with the appropriate chip in the VPC, in this case one
designed for a stock 1G-GTE (i.e the standard 320cc injectors), setting it
all to zero should mean that the ECU gets the same signal as it would as if
the stock AFM was still in place. Only when you start playing with the dials
does it richen or lean out the mixture (by "tricking" the ECU and giving it
false info, like am SAFC etc).

_____

[...]

RE: HKS VPC question   2006-04-21 13:24:00 <Hunt M>
If I could borrow your wideband (assuming mine's going before yours :-))
that would be super! You know where I live so its not like I wont give it
back :-)

It doesn't replace the stock O2 sensor does it? So I'd have to get a
flange/thread welded into my exhaust?

_____

www.supra.co.nz <http://www.supra.co.nz/> --- Supra Club of New Zealand -

error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.

<http://www.turbo.co.nz/>

error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.

www.supra.co.nz --- Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/

Re: HKS VPC question   2006-04-21 13:34:00 <Suze>
yep you need a bung welded in... preferable between 11 o clock & 2 o clock
in the downpipe bout half way so it's away from the heat of the turbo as
extreme heat shags it out faster

On 4/21/06, Hunt M <5uprah@supras.co.nz> wrote:

> [...]
> notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction
> of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in
> error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
> in this message are those of the individual sender and may not
> necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.

> CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential
> information intended only for the use of the addressee named above.
> If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby
> notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction
> of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in
> error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
> in this message are those of the individual sender and may not
> necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.

Re: HKS VPC question   2006-04-22 21:13:00 <qzm>
The stock setup is a mass flow system Hunt, it is very capable of adjusting
for these types of differences.
a VPC is a MAP system, which is completely incapable of adjusting out a
large number of tuning factors such as these, and therefore is MUCH more
sensitive to tuning changes. To the level that if you dont have a stock
turbo and stock intake/exhaust manifold, you may as well set the dials to
anything at WOT, it will be incorrect.
If you have a stock system from the turbos intake to after the cat then the
'standard' chip, assuming it was for YOUR particular 1g (and remember, there
are many many different 1g setups..) would be a good starting point.

Regards,
Stuart W.