Where do I find an ignition feed   2006-04-23 10:51:00 <Brenda>
Just wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find an ignition feed by my
fuse box in the engine bay I can tap into without affecting anything else.

I would search for one but I need my ignition on for this and I have a
12volt feed straight to my fuel pump so it floods my car every time I leave
the ignition on.

I did find one but it blows the fuse to my digital dash when I tap in to it.

I'm doing a relay for my starter as I get the horrible "click" when I try to
start my car and I have had the starter overhauled. I figure this is the
easiest fix.

Thanks

Re: Where do I find an ignition feed   2006-04-23 21:40:00 <Hunt M>
I don't know off the top of my head but i'd unplug the fuel pump from the
boot and then get out the ol' multimeter :)
----- Original Message -----
From: "Brenda" <music_roade@hotmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 23, 2006 10:51 AM
Subject: [sconz] Where do I find an ignition feed

> Just wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find an ignition feed by
> my fuse box in the engine bay I can tap into without affecting anything
> else.
>
> I would search for one but I need my ignition on for this and I have a
> 12volt feed straight to my fuel pump so it floods my car every time I
> leave the ignition on.
>
> I did find one but it blows the fuse to my digital dash when I tap in to
> it.
>
> I'm doing a relay for my starter as I get the horrible "click" when I try
> to start my car and I have had the starter overhauled. I figure this is
> the easiest fix.
>
> Thanks

Re: Where do I find an ignition feed   2006-04-24 13:39:00 <walshe@...>

You shouldnt need an ignition feed for a starter relay, the
best and most effective way of doing it is connecting relay
terminal 30 to your main battery stud on the starter motor,
85 to the solenoid feed from the ignition switch (the one
that was originaly pluged into the starter), 86 to earth and
87 to the stater motor solenoid engaging terminal (takes the
place of the one you removed for terminal 85)
Hope that all makes sense!

> Just wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find an
> ignition feed by my fuse box in the engine bay I can tap
> into without affecting anything else.
>
> I would search for one but I need my ignition on for this
> and I have a 12volt feed straight to my fuel pump so it
> floods my car every time I leave the ignition on.
>
> I did find one but it blows the fuse to my digital dash
> when I tap in to it.
>
> I'm doing a relay for my starter as I get the horrible
> "click" when I try to start my car and I have had the
> starter overhauled. I figure this is the easiest fix.
>
> Thanks

> Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger
> http://www.turbo.co.nz

Re: Where do I find an ignition feed   2006-04-25 14:55:00 <Brenda>
Thanks Heaps,
It's worked great and I don't have horrible starter click
anymore.

Cheers Brenda

> You shouldnt need an ignition feed for a starter relay, the
> best and most effective way of doing it is connecting relay
> terminal 30 to your main battery stud on the starter motor,
> 85 to the solenoid feed from the ignition switch (the one
> that was originaly pluged into the starter), 86 to earth and
> 87 to the stater motor solenoid engaging terminal (takes the
> place of the one you removed for terminal 85)
> Hope that all makes sense!
>

>> Just wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find an
>> ignition feed by my fuse box in the engine bay I can tap
>> into without affecting anything else.
>>
>> I would search for one but I need my ignition on for this
>> and I have a 12volt feed straight to my fuel pump so it
>> floods my car every time I leave the ignition on.
>>
>> I did find one but it blows the fuse to my digital dash
>> when I tap in to it.
>>
>> I'm doing a relay for my starter as I get the horrible
>> "click" when I try to start my car and I have had the
>> starter overhauled. I figure this is the easiest fix.
>>
>> Thanks

>> Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger
>> http://www.turbo.co.nz

RE: Where do I find an ignition feed   2006-04-25 19:07:00 <John Rosser>
Did that on my old 7m, worked mint. Gonna have to do it again on the jz at
some point, but oh well, will do it at some stage, lol, still starts as is,
so meh.

John

It's worked great and I don't have horrible starter click
anymore.

Cheers Brenda

> You shouldnt need an ignition feed for a starter relay, the
> best and most effective way of doing it is connecting relay
> terminal 30 to your main battery stud on the starter motor,
> 85 to the solenoid feed from the ignition switch (the one
> that was originaly pluged into the starter), 86 to earth and
> 87 to the stater motor solenoid engaging terminal (takes the
> place of the one you removed for terminal 85)
> Hope that all makes sense!
>

>> Just wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find an
>> ignition feed by my fuse box in the engine bay I can tap
>> into without affecting anything else.
>>
>> I would search for one but I need my ignition on for this
>> and I have a 12volt feed straight to my fuel pump so it
>> floods my car every time I leave the ignition on.
>>
>> I did find one but it blows the fuse to my digital dash
>> when I tap in to it.
>>
>> I'm doing a relay for my starter as I get the horrible
>> "click" when I try to start my car and I have had the
>> starter overhauled. I figure this is the easiest fix.
>>
>> Thanks

>> Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger
>> http://www.turbo.co.nz

RE: Where do I find an ignition feed   2006-04-25 20:44:00 <Hunt M>
How powerful does the relay need to be? I have a spare "main relay" from
inside the engine bay fuse box, would that do?

Thanks :)

You shouldnt need an ignition feed for a starter relay, the
best and most effective way of doing it is connecting relay
terminal 30 to your main battery stud on the starter motor,
85 to the solenoid feed from the ignition switch (the one
that was originaly pluged into the starter), 86 to earth and
87 to the stater motor solenoid engaging terminal (takes the
place of the one you removed for terminal 85)
Hope that all makes sense!

> Just wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find an
> ignition feed by my fuse box in the engine bay I can tap
> into without affecting anything else.
>
> I would search for one but I need my ignition on for this
> and I have a 12volt feed straight to my fuel pump so it
> floods my car every time I leave the ignition on.
>
> I did find one but it blows the fuse to my digital dash
> when I tap in to it.
>
> I'm doing a relay for my starter as I get the horrible
> "click" when I try to start my car and I have had the
> starter overhauled. I figure this is the easiest fix.
>
> Thanks

> Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger
> http://www.turbo.co.nz

Re: Where do I find an ignition feed   2006-04-27 09:28:00 <qzm>
Please tell me you are not replacing the sarter solenoid with a relay?
I'm assuming probably not, as you have not welded it on yet and burned out
your battery, but I just thought I would make sure.

Regards,
Stuart.

On 4/25/06, Brenda <music_roade@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Heaps,
> It's worked great and I don't have horrible starter click
> anymore.
>
> Cheers Brenda

Re: Where do I find an ignition feed   2006-04-27 10:53:00 <Marc Archbold>
Geez Stu,
What's wrong with using a relay of insufficient switching current rating :)

- Marc

> Please tell me you are not replacing the sarter solenoid with a relay?
> I'm assuming probably not, as you have not welded it on yet and burned
> out
> your battery, but I just thought I would make sure.
>
> Regards,
> Stuart.
>
> On 4/25/06, Brenda <music_roade@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Heaps,
> > It's worked great and I don't have horrible starter click
> > anymore.
> >
> > Cheers Brenda

Re: Where do I find an ignition feed   2006-04-27 11:07:00 <Suze>
i don't believe the solonoid has been replaced at all.. just a relay added
inline with it to boost the voltage