Tech tip: Drive shaft vibration   2006-04-28 10:32:00 <Cully Paterson>
Had a slightly unexpected tip given to me yesterday about drive shaft
vibration on Supras, particularly early solid engine mount ones....

A guy I know replaced the drive shaft hanger bearing on his Mk-III,
which as most people know has a tendancy to wear out over time. After
he replaced it he noticed a high speed vibration from the drive train.
He figure out the problem: As the rubber of the hanger bearing collapses
over time, so do the engine mounts. In relative unison they all end up
about half an inch lower in the car. Replace the hanger bearing, and
you end up with a kink in the driveshaft due to the engine now being
lower than the centre of the driveshaft. The solution is to shim the
hanger bearing down with some washers so that the driveshaft returns to
level, and hey presto, the problem goes away.

I guess you could also replace the engine mounts at the same time, but
they are a tad more expensive than a couple of washers.

RE: Tech tip: Drive shaft vibration   2006-04-28 10:52:00 <Hunt M>
That's very interesting actually.

My dad's car has a vibration, which only occurs when you are coasting, not
decelerating and not accelerating but when you lift off only a little. I
thought it was because the driveshaft was out of balance somehow but now I
think about it, he got new engine mounts but didn't replace the hanger
bearing. So now the engine is higher than the hanger bearing, causing, I
assume, the same effect.

Hunt

_____