Differing Diffs   2006-05-09 14:27:00 <Looonie>
Having just read a link Jason posted earlier, a little tidbit I noticed was that Torsen diffs end in a number 9 code. Is this in fact correct? And is there any other ways to tell the difference between a Torsen LSD and a Clutch Pack LSD without cracking the rear housing off?

Regards

Dave Thom
Technical Manager
Harvey Norman New Plymouth
027 344 3938

RE: Differing Diffs   2006-05-09 14:36:00 <john shannon>

my diff code is g319 for a 3.9 diff the other one i got is g399 for a 4.1 diff

From: "Looonie" <supras@boost.org.nz>
Subject: [sconz] Differing Diffs
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 14:26:57 +1200

Having just read a link Jason posted earlier, a little tidbit I noticed was that Torsen diffs end in a number 9 code. Is this in fact correct? And is there any other ways to tell the difference between a Torsen LSD and a Clutch Pack LSD without cracking the rear housing off?

Regards

Dave Thom
Technical Manager
Harvey Norman New Plymouth
027 344 3938

Check out the latest video at Xtra Broadband

Re: Differing Diffs   2006-05-09 18:42:00 <Suze>
LOL john go back and read the vin tag
it's g299 :P for 4.1

On 5/9/06, john shannon <jshannon55@hotmail.com> wrote:

> my diff code is g319 for a 3.9 diff the other one i got is g399 for a 4.1diff

> Having just read a link Jason posted earlier, a little tidbit I noticed
> was that Torsen diffs end in a number 9 code. Is this in fact correct? And
> is there any other ways to tell the difference between a Torsen LSD and a
> Clutch Pack LSD without cracking the rear housing off?
>
> Regards
>
> Dave Thom
> Technical Manager
> Harvey Norman New Plymouth
> 027 344 3938

Re: Differing Diffs   2006-05-09 18:44:00 <john shannon>

sorry

my diff code is g319 for a 3.9 diff the other one i got is g399 for a 4.1 diff

Having just read a link Jason posted earlier, a little tidbit I noticed was that Torsen diffs end in a number 9 code. Is this in fact correct? And is there any other ways to tell the difference between a Torsen LSD and a Clutch Pack LSD without cracking the rear housing off?

Regards

Dave Thom
Technical Manager
Harvey Norman New Plymouth
027 344 3938

Check out the latest video at Xtra Broadband ---

Shop ‘til you drop at XtraMSN Shopping

Re: Differing Diffs   2006-05-19 08:26:00 <qzm>
On 5/9/06, Looonie <supras@boost.org.nz> wrote:

> Having just read a link Jason posted earlier, a little tidbit I noticed
> was that Torsen diffs end in a number 9 code. Is this in fact correct? And
> is there any other ways to tell the difference between a Torsen LSD and a
> Clutch Pack LSD without cracking the rear housing off?

A torsen will act just like a 'standard' diff which jacked. ie: the wheels
will turn opposite directions if you turn one (a god condition LSD will turn
the same direction).
it is hard to identify a torsen as you need to actually load the input shaft
to find out that it is not a standard diff, although drive it hard enough
and you will soon know.

Regards,
Stuart W.

Re: Differing Diffs   2006-05-20 18:30:00 <C & G Pollard>
Hey guys, Chris from Wellington here,
I have a 1986 MA70 Aerotop NZ new with 235,000kms so I managed to lay my hands on a 2JZ to put in some time. Of course I found out about the need for a late X member to bolt in. This is where it gets interesting though. I've just found a 1992 JZA70 at a wreckers and he's let me take anything but the motor and trans. I now have a later model (dark) grey interior and all the front and rear supension along with what I asume is probably a Torsen diff. The problem I have is not knowing how to ID this unit but it does seem like a non LSD when you turn one half shaft. The springs appear to be aftermarket, a lovely dark purple colour.
Later in the year when I get my shite together all the older grey interior will be available if anyones interested, and I'll probably have at least one spare analog dash instrument set. The 7mge and auto-trans are still going fine also but just when they'll be out is anyones guess.