smoking 2jzgte   2006-08-23 09:50:00 <Andrew Loader>
In the morning when i start my car a cloud of blue smoke comes out of the exhaust.

Know I now this is oil but,

Is it valve guide seals or valve guides, or the turbo seals

I had my mate check it on the road at full noise and there is no smoke

So if any one knows about these engines please advise me on what I should be looking at fixing.

thanks

Re: smoking 2jzgte   2006-08-23 09:54:00 <suprra girl>
blue smoke is combusted oil generally
so you're looking at valve seals imo

On 8/23/06, Andrew Loader <andrew_loader@clear.net.nz> wrote:

> In the morning when i start my car a cloud of blue smoke comes out of the
> exhaust.
>
> Know I now this is oil but,
>
> Is it valve guide seals or valve guides, or the turbo seals
>
> I had my mate check it on the road at full noise and there is no smoke
>
> So if any one knows about these engines please advise me on what I should
> be looking at fixing.
>
> thanks

Re: smoking 2jzgte   2006-08-23 09:58:00 <Hunt M>
hard to tell from that test as it could be either

drive down a long hill in whichever gear allows you to be doing around
3000rpm making sure you're off the throttle completely. then when you get to
the bottom, punch it. if it smokes it'll be your stem seals (or guide seals,
same thing).

or when the car is warm, leave it at idle for 30-45 seconds, then punch the
gas up to about 3500rpm. if it smokes it'll be your turbo seals, or RINGS as
some people in "the biz" like to call em :)

> In the morning when i start my car a cloud of blue smoke comes out of the
> exhaust.
>
> Know I now this is oil but,
>
> Is it valve guide seals or valve guides, or the turbo seals
>
> I had my mate check it on the road at full noise and there is no smoke
>
> So if any one knows about these engines please advise me on what I should
> be looking at fixing.
>
> thanks

Re: smoking 2jzgte   2006-08-23 10:15:00 <Looonie>
I think its completely poked and you should give it to me and install a
7M-GTE... hell I'll even swap you straight out :)

My soarer used to do the same thing, the 1g's had a known issue of valve
stem seals hardening causing blue smoke on startup but no problems at any
other time... so its possible it may be these... Has the engine been sitting
for any long periods of time (ie. a year or more) without being started?
> In the morning when i start my car a cloud of blue smoke comes out of the
> exhaust.
>
> Know I now this is oil but,
>
> Is it valve guide seals or valve guides, or the turbo seals
>
> I had my mate check it on the road at full noise and there is no smoke
>
> So if any one knows about these engines please advise me on what I should
> be looking at fixing.
>
> thanks

Re: smoking 2jzgte   2006-08-23 11:08:00 <Andrew Loader>
thanks that should help

I'll hold off on the 7M swap thanks but I'll keep it in mind if I start to go complete crazy.
I only just got this car and i'm just going over it and sorting out what needs fixing.

Has anyone got the wiring loom that connects to all of the ignitors?

All of my plugs are broken and old and it looks like toyota does not sale this part of the loom separately

Re: smoking 2jzgte   2006-08-23 11:29:00 <suprra girl>
you could try John S as he has a few parts wiring looms

and just for future reference turbo smoke is white (uncombusted/burnt oil)

:)

On 8/23/06, Andrew Loader <andrew_loader@clear.net.nz> wrote:

> thanks that should help
>
> I'll hold off on the 7M swap thanks but I'll keep it in mind if I start to
> go complete crazy.
> I only just got this car and i'm just going over it and sorting out what
> needs fixing.
>
> Has anyone got the wiring loom that connects to all of the ignitors?
>
> All of my plugs are broken and old and it looks like toyota does not sale
> this part of the loom separately

Re: smoking 2jzgte   2006-08-23 11:32:00 <qzm>
On 8/23/06, suprra girl <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:

> you could try John S as he has a few parts wiring looms
>
> and just for future reference turbo smoke is white (uncombusted/burnt oil)

Be careful - BHG (more to the point water in the cylinders) 'smoke' is also
white - it just smells 'sweeter'. - and turbo smoke can be darker, brown or
even black depending on situation - but normally whiteish.

Regards,
Stuart.

RE: smoking 2jzgte   2006-08-23 11:34:00 <Cully Paterson>
Not necessarily - if the turbo is failing on the compressor side, the
leaking oil will go through the intake into the cylinders and get burnt
= blue.

_____

you could try John S as he has a few parts wiring looms

and just for future reference turbo smoke is white
(uncombusted/burnt oil)

:)

I'll hold off on the 7M swap thanks but I'll keep it in
mind if I start to go complete crazy.
I only just got this car and i'm just going over it and
sorting out what needs fixing.

Has anyone got the wiring loom that connects to all of
the ignitors?

All of my plugs are broken and old and it looks like
toyota does not sale this part of the loom separately
Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger
http://www.turbo.co.nz

--- Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/
Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger
http://www.turbo.co.nz

RE: smoking 2jzgte   2006-08-23 11:35:00 <Doig, Richard>
I assume it tastes sweeter too? :-P

BHG (more to the point water in the cylinders) 'smoke' is also white -
it just smells 'sweeter'.

error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.
For more information on the Air New Zealand Group, visit us online
at http://www.airnewzealand.com

Re: smoking 2jzgte   2006-08-23 11:41:00 <Hunt M>
I suppose if the oil is able to make its way through the intake pipes and intercooler, then you've got a rather biggie....??