89+ A70 Auto Heater and JZA70 ECU fix   2007-03-09 10:04:00 <Marc Archbold>

Hi all, sharing a couple of fixes that might help someone out in the future.

The first is A70 89-93 Heater Blower operation where auto/climate control
heater blower appeared to be fixed on low, instead of throttling depending on
heating/cooling based on the position of the Temperature control knob.

- i.e. Blower Switch set to AUTO, Vent set to AUTO.
Note: The 89+ US TSRM Heater/Aircon is quite different to JDM versions.

After checking the power, Blower Resistor, Blower Speed control Switch (Sits
on bottom center of heater, linked to the Air mix Cam), the fault was located
to the Blower Control Relay: Mounted in a rubber sleeve Part#88630-24050
(Equiv Part# 90987-02004) , located on the drivers side rear of the center
console facing outward toward the door.

Typical exorbitant Toyota NZ price $97. Aftermarket price $12, from Auto
Electric City.

Second Fault - JZA70 ECU Erratic operation.
============
I have seen two JZA70 ECU's and know of at least two others where the engine
will stuble when warm, not start, run erratically when warm and appear to be
intermittent and random in fault.

The fault is caused by leaky electrolytic Capacitors:
from memory there are four electrolytic capacitors that require replacing,
three on the I/O board (Bottom board) one on the CPU board, with the main
culprit being one in the Injector circuit that leaks onto the circuit board.

In two cases, the cap in the injector drive circuit leaks and rots out one of
the leads.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards,
Marc

RE: 89+ A70 Auto Heater and JZA70 ECU fix   2007-03-09 11:07:00 <Hunt Moorhouse>
Thanks for that Marc. The problem hasn't occured with mine yet, but you
never know :)

On an almost side note, remember people about dry solder joints on the
heater control unit itself. This causes no heater function, only cold air.
All you need to do is touch a soldering iron to each contact on the back of
the control unit so melt and re-attach the solder.

Hunt

>From: Marc Archbold <marc.a@paradise.net.nz>
>Subject: [sconz] 89+ A70 Auto Heater and JZA70 ECU fix
>Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 10:04:10 +1300 (NZDT)
>

>Hi all, sharing a couple of fixes that might help someone out in the
>future.
>
>The first is A70 89-93 Heater Blower operation where auto/climate control
>heater blower appeared to be fixed on low, instead of throttling depending
>on
>heating/cooling based on the position of the Temperature control knob.
>
>- i.e. Blower Switch set to AUTO, Vent set to AUTO.
>Note: The 89+ US TSRM Heater/Aircon is quite different to JDM versions.
>
>After checking the power, Blower Resistor, Blower Speed control Switch
>(Sits
>on bottom center of heater, linked to the Air mix Cam), the fault was
>located
>to the Blower Control Relay: Mounted in a rubber sleeve Part#88630-24050
>(Equiv Part# 90987-02004) , located on the drivers side rear of the center
>console facing outward toward the door.
>
>Typical exorbitant Toyota NZ price $97. Aftermarket price $12, from Auto
>Electric City.
>

>Second Fault - JZA70 ECU Erratic operation.
>============
>I have seen two JZA70 ECU's and know of at least two others where the
>engine
>will stuble when warm, not start, run erratically when warm and appear to
>be
>intermittent and random in fault.
>
>The fault is caused by leaky electrolytic Capacitors:
>from memory there are four electrolytic capacitors that require replacing,
>three on the I/O board (Bottom board) one on the CPU board, with the main
>culprit being one in the Injector circuit that leaks onto the circuit
>board.
>
>In two cases, the cap in the injector drive circuit leaks and rots out one
>of
>the leads.
>
>Hope this helps someone.
>
>Regards,
>Marc
>

>---
>Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/

Need a new job? Check out XtraMSN Careers http://xtramsn.co.nz/careers

RE: 89+ A70 Auto Heater and JZA70 ECU fix   2007-03-14 08:12:00 <Doig, Richard>

>The fault is caused by leaky electrolytic Capacitors:

If it is any consolation, the ECU on F/A-18A Hornet engines does this
too...

Joys of taking 80's electonic components and then bouncing them around.

error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.
For more information on the Air New Zealand Group, visit us online
at http://www.airnewzealand.com

RE: 89+ A70 Auto Heater and JZA70 ECU fix   2007-03-19 10:22:00 <Nick Little>
Might be a consolation to a Supra owner, but probably the F/A-18A pilot is
not thinking "well, this fault happens on the heater of a Supra too..." as
he plummets towards his untimely death. Do they use the same capacitor
anywhere in the Hornet ejector seat?

Nick.