  2001-09-25 10:01:00 <Craig Tonkin>
Sadly this will be my last post to the supra club as I have to come of the
list BUT please remember that I am still here only not accessing my mail as
much now as I am being sent out on the road more now

Have fun & keep the rubber on the road.

I am still here thou for normal mails

> Subject: THE MORAL OF THE NORTEL STORY
>

> On July 26, 2000, two friends, Jim and John, each received a $1000 bonus
> at work. (They both work for Nortel Networks, where in the summer of 2000,
> there was LOTS of money around for bonuses).
> Jim, being an intelligent, financially conscientious person, put the whole
> $1000 into Nortel Networks stock. With his $1000, and the transaction cost
> of $35, he was able to purchase 7 shares at $123 each. Having watched the
> Nortel stock climb and climb, he felt very good about this investment,
> happy that he is preparing for the future.
> John, being a more care-free sort, did something slightly different with
> his $1000. John borrowed a friend's truck, and proceeded to the Beer
> Store, where he purchased 33 cases of beer. John also felt very good about
> his investment: 33 cases x 24 = 792 bottles of beer! John, also being an
> intelligent guy, although perhaps not as forward-thinking as Jim,
> calculated that he could drink about 15 bottles per week, and he wouldn't
> have to buy beer for a whole year.
> Jim, of course, was appalled by John's purchase, and berated him
> constantly about it. As months went by, Jim excitedly watched the stock
> prices, and saw it start to dwindle. "It'll go back up", he'd say to Jim.
> Jim, who has been reaping the benefits of his investment on a daily basis,
> would reply, "Ya, it will. Hang in there buddy" "burp".
> Months went by, and the value of the stock continued to fall, and there
> was the beginnings of a noticeable dent in the beer pile. Midwinter came,
> Jim's stock had fallen to about half of it's original value, and John's
> beer was about half gone. Jim, being sure that the stock had hit
> rock-bottom, still was berating John for his frivolous purchase, telling
> him "Your beer will be gone in six months! Who knows what my stock will be
> worth!!".
> Well, summer has come, and hard times at Nortel continue. Bad news: Both
> John and Jim have been affected by the layoffs. Last week, in order to
> raise some cash to help through the rough time, Jim sold his 7 shares, at
> that day's value of $12, and got $84, then after paying the $35
> transaction fee, he only had $49.
> Jim stopped by John's house later that day (everyone needs their friend's
> during rough times), and as luck would have it, there were two bottles of
> John's beer left. John, being a good, compassionate friend, offered to
> share his last two bottles of beer with his friend. Jim appreciated the
> gesture, and enjoyed the cold beer on the hot summer's day, but he felt a
> bit guilty. "At least I got fifty bucks back out of it - you have nothing
> now.", he said. "That's ok.", replied John. "Perhaps you can help me, I
> need to return all these empties.", he added as his other friend with the
> truck pulled in. So, they loaded up the truck, and proceeded off to the
> beer store.
> [...]

Important: This electronic message and attachments (if any) are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not legally copy, disclose, disseminate or use the contents in any way, and you should contact me immediately and destroy this message. Thank you.