Wastegate size   2007-09-14 09:26:00 <Hunt Moorhouse>
What sort of HP will a 35mm Audi wastegate support before starting to creep?
Here's pics of it:http://www.supras.co.nz/pics/turboconversion/wastegateupright.jpg

http://www.supras.co.nz/pics/turboconversion/Wastegate.jpg

If this doesnt meet my requirements - what does everyone recommend in the way of wastegates? I dont want to spend more than $300 on one, so that narrows it down a bit.

First tune will be a mild 300rwhp. But future tunes will be knocking on 350-370rwhp so I'll need something to support that kind of power/flow later on

Explore the seven wonders of the world

RE: Wastegate size   2007-09-14 09:31:00 <Llewellyn Giles>
If you do end up needing a new one I have one for sale.

56mm Sard Racing (genuine) fitted with 1 bar spring.

________________________________
From: bounce-83356-1896@list.supras.org.nz [bounce-83356-1896@list.supras.org.nz] On Behalf Of Hunt Moorhouse [hemi_426_4u@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, 14 September 2007 9:25 a.m.
Subject: [sconz] Wastegate size

What sort of HP will a 35mm Audi wastegate support before starting to creep?
Here's pics of it:

http://www.supras.co.nz/pics/turboconversion/wastegateupright.jpg

http://www.supras.co.nz/pics/turboconversion/Wastegate.jpg

If this doesnt meet my requirements - what does everyone recommend in the way of wastegates? I dont want to spend more than $300 on one, so that narrows it down a bit.

First tune will be a mild 300rwhp. But future tunes will be knocking on 350-370rwhp so I'll need something to support that kind of power/flow later on

RE: Wastegate size   2007-09-14 09:36:00 <Cully Paterson>

>What sort of HP will a 35mm Audi wastegate support before starting to
creep?

The actual figure will depend highly upon how well the gas flow into the
wastegate is. If you've got a good smooth efficient flow then more gas
can pass through than if it were turbulent, and hence allow better
control. Typical best case you'd be expecting to properly control
approx 350horse. That's going to vary a lot with air density/boost
level etc, but it's a guide.

>If this doesnt meet my requirements - what does everyone recommend in
the way of wastegates?

You'll need something in the region of 42-45mm. Any bigger than that is
wrong for your appliation, and becomes difficult to control.

RE: Wastegate size   2007-09-14 10:26:00 <Hunt Moorhouse>
Thanks for that.Has anyone delt with the "Style" wastegates? i.e. not geniune?
I'm looking at something like this:http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Other/auction-117600144.htm?p=6

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
Cheers :)Hunt

> Subject: RE: [sconz] Wastegate size> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:36:16 +1200> From: Cully@supras.org.nz> To: sconz@list.supras.org.nz> > > > >What sort of HP will a 35mm Audi wastegate support before starting to> creep?> > The actual figure will depend highly upon how well the gas flow into the> wastegate is. If you've got a good smooth efficient flow then more gas> can pass through than if it were turbulent, and hence allow better> control. Typical best case you'd be expecting to properly control> approx 350horse. That's going to vary a lot with air density/boost> level etc, but it's a guide.> > > >If this doesnt meet my requirements - what does everyone recommend in> the way of wastegates? > > > You'll need something in the region of 42-45mm. Any bigger than that is> wrong for your appliation, and becomes difficult to control. > > Cully> > > ---> Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/> Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger http://www.turbo.co.nz

RE: Wastegate size   2007-09-14 10:51:00 <Llewellyn Giles>
They look good but too cheap to be reliable.

You have to remember the wastegate is your safety barrier against loosing your motor due to overboosting. The question you have to ask yourself is are you willing to trust your motor to an unknown brand $190 wastegate?

________________________________
Has anyone delt with the "Style" wastegates? i.e. not geniune?
I'm looking at something like this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Other/auction-117600144.htm?p=6

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Cheers :)
Hunt

________________________________

> Subject: RE: [sconz] Wastegate size
> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:36:16 +1200
> From: Cully@supras.org.nz
> To: sconz@list.supras.org.nz
>

> >What sort of HP will a 35mm Audi wastegate support before starting to
> creep?
>
> The actual figure will depend highly upon how well the gas flow into the
> wastegate is. If you've got a good smooth efficient flow then more gas
> can pass through than if it were turbulent, and hence allow better
> control. Typical best case you'd be expecting to properly control
> approx 350horse. That's going to vary a lot with air density/boost
> level etc, but it's a guide.
>

> >If this doesnt meet my requirements - what does everyone recommend in
> the way of wastegates?
>

> You'll need something in the region of 42-45mm. Any bigger than that is
> wrong for your appliation, and becomes difficult to control.

RE: Wastegate size   2007-09-14 10:53:00 <Matthew Adair>
agreed, dont skimp. I got a tial 44mm v band one for a good price. If you look around you should be able to find a good price.

RE: Wastegate size   2007-09-14 10:55:00 <Hunt Moorhouse>
that's what boost cut is for. the ECU will respond faster than you or any wastegate can :)

From: Py7h0n@warzone.co.nzTo: sconz@list.supras.org.nzDate: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:52:58 +1200Subject: RE: [sconz] Wastegate size

They look good but too cheap to be reliable.

You have to remember the wastegate is your safety barrier against loosing your motor due to overboosting. The question you have to ask yourself is are you willing to trust your motor to an unknown brand $190 wastegate?

Thanks for that.Has anyone delt with the "Style" wastegates? i.e. not geniune?I'm looking at something like this:http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Other/auction-117600144.htm?p=6 Thoughts, comments, suggestions?Cheers :)Hunt

> Subject: RE: [sconz] Wastegate size> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:36:16 +1200> From: Cully@supras.org.nz> To: sconz@list.supras.org.nz> > > > >What sort of HP will a 35mm Audi wastegate support before starting to> creep?> > The actual figure will depend highly upon how well the gas flow into the> wastegate is. If you've got a good smooth efficient flow then more gas> can pass through than if it were turbulent, and hence allow better> control. Typical best case you'd be expecting to properly control> approx 350horse. That's going to vary a lot with air density/boost> level etc, but it's a guide.> > > >If this doesnt meet my requirements - what does everyone recommend in> the way of wastegates? > > > You'll need something in the region of 42-45mm. Any bigger than that is> wrong for your appliation, and becomes difficult to control. > > Cully> > > ---> Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/> Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger http://www.turbo.co.nz

Invite your mail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live Spaces. It's easy! Try it! --- Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/ Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger http://www.turbo.co.nz --- Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/ Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger http://www.turbo.co.nz
Discover the new Windows Vista

RE: Wastegate size   2007-09-14 10:58:00 <Llewellyn Giles>
Yea boost cut helps but you can't rely on nifty gizmo's to save you from cheap junk

________________________________
that's what boost cut is for. the ECU will respond faster than you or any wastegate can :)

________________________________
They look good but too cheap to be reliable.

You have to remember the wastegate is your safety barrier against loosing your motor due to overboosting. The question you have to ask yourself is are you willing to trust your motor to an unknown brand $190 wastegate?

________________________________
Has anyone delt with the "Style" wastegates? i.e. not geniune?
I'm looking at something like this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Other/auction-117600144.htm?p=6

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Cheers :)
Hunt

________________________________

> Subject: RE: [sconz] Wastegate size
> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:36:16 +1200
> From: Cully@supras.org.nz
> To: sconz@list.supras.org.nz
>

> >What sort of HP will a 35mm Audi wastegate support before starting to
> creep?
>
> The actual figure will depend highly upon how well the gas flow into the
> wastegate is. If you've got a good smooth efficient flow then more gas
> can pass through than if it were turbulent, and hence allow better
> control. Typical best case you'd be expecting to properly control
> approx 350horse. That's going to vary a lot with air density/boost
> level etc, but it's a guide.
>

> >If this doesnt meet my requirements - what does everyone recommend in
> the way of wastegates?
>

> You'll need something in the region of 42-45mm. Any bigger than that is
> wrong for your appliation, and becomes difficult to control.

RE: Wastegate size   2007-09-14 10:58:00 <Llewellyn Giles>
Another $100 and you can have my genuine Sard....

Failing that double the price and you can have a genuine Tial from the US

________________________________
that's what boost cut is for. the ECU will respond faster than you or any wastegate can :)

________________________________
They look good but too cheap to be reliable.

You have to remember the wastegate is your safety barrier against loosing your motor due to overboosting. The question you have to ask yourself is are you willing to trust your motor to an unknown brand $190 wastegate?

________________________________
Has anyone delt with the "Style" wastegates? i.e. not geniune?
I'm looking at something like this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Other/auction-117600144.htm?p=6

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Cheers :)
Hunt

________________________________

> Subject: RE: [sconz] Wastegate size
> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:36:16 +1200
> From: Cully@supras.org.nz
> To: sconz@list.supras.org.nz
>

> >What sort of HP will a 35mm Audi wastegate support before starting to
> creep?
>
> The actual figure will depend highly upon how well the gas flow into the
> wastegate is. If you've got a good smooth efficient flow then more gas
> can pass through than if it were turbulent, and hence allow better
> control. Typical best case you'd be expecting to properly control
> approx 350horse. That's going to vary a lot with air density/boost
> level etc, but it's a guide.
>

> >If this doesnt meet my requirements - what does everyone recommend in
> the way of wastegates?
>

> You'll need something in the region of 42-45mm. Any bigger than that is
> wrong for your appliation, and becomes difficult to control.

RE: Wastegate size   2007-09-14 11:06:00 <Hunt Moorhouse>
thats true i guess

From: Py7h0n@warzone.co.nzTo: sconz@list.supras.org.nzDate: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:00:04 +1200Subject: RE: [sconz] Wastegate size

From: Py7h0n@warzone.co.nzTo: sconz@list.supras.org.nzDate: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:52:58 +1200Subject: RE: [sconz] Wastegate size

They look good but too cheap to be reliable.

You have to remember the wastegate is your safety barrier against loosing your motor due to overboosting. The question you have to ask yourself is are you willing to trust your motor to an unknown brand $190 wastegate?

Thanks for that.Has anyone delt with the "Style" wastegates? i.e. not geniune?I'm looking at something like this:http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Other/auction-117600144.htm?p=6 Thoughts, comments, suggestions?Cheers :)Hunt

> Subject: RE: [sconz] Wastegate size> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:36:16 +1200> From: Cully@supras.org.nz> To: sconz@list.supras.org.nz> > > > >What sort of HP will a 35mm Audi wastegate support before starting to> creep?> > The actual figure will depend highly upon how well the gas flow into the> wastegate is. If you've got a good smooth efficient flow then more gas> can pass through than if it were turbulent, and hence allow better> control. Typical best case you'd be expecting to properly control> approx 350horse. That's going to vary a lot with air density/boost> level etc, but it's a guide.> > > >If this doesnt meet my requirements - what does everyone recommend in> the way of wastegates? > > > You'll need something in the region of 42-45mm. Any bigger than that is> wrong for your appliation, and becomes difficult to control. > > Cully> > > ---> Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/> Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger http://www.turbo.co.nz

Invite your mail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live Spaces. It's easy! Try it! --- Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/ Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger http://www.turbo.co.nz --- Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/ Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger http://www.turbo.co.nz

Discover the new Windows Vista Learn more! --- Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/ Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger http://www.turbo.co.nz --- Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/ Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger http://www.turbo.co.nz

RE: Wastegate size   2007-09-14 11:11:00 <Matthew Adair>
I got my tial (genuine from the us) for around $400 from memory.

A nice unit, should do the trick.

RE: Wastegate size   2007-09-14 11:11:00 <Hunt Moorhouse>
Ah yes but a 50mm will be a wee bit to big for me - and I dont have the money right now to fork out for a genuine.maybe I'll see how I go with the Audi one.

Just wanted everyones thoughts on the trademe ones :)

From: Py7h0n@warzone.co.nzTo: sconz@list.supras.org.nzDate: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:01:06 +1200Subject: RE: [sconz] Wastegate size

From: Py7h0n@warzone.co.nzTo: sconz@list.supras.org.nzDate: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:52:58 +1200Subject: RE: [sconz] Wastegate size

They look good but too cheap to be reliable.

You have to remember the wastegate is your safety barrier against loosing your motor due to overboosting. The question you have to ask yourself is are you willing to trust your motor to an unknown brand $190 wastegate?

Thanks for that.Has anyone delt with the "Style" wastegates? i.e. not geniune?I'm looking at something like this:http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Other/auction-117600144.htm?p=6 Thoughts, comments, suggestions?Cheers :)Hunt

> Subject: RE: [sconz] Wastegate size> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:36:16 +1200> From: Cully@supras.org.nz> To: sconz@list.supras.org.nz> > > > >What sort of HP will a 35mm Audi wastegate support before starting to> creep?> > The actual figure will depend highly upon how well the gas flow into the> wastegate is. If you've got a good smooth efficient flow then more gas> can pass through than if it were turbulent, and hence allow better> control. Typical best case you'd be expecting to properly control> approx 350horse. That's going to vary a lot with air density/boost> level etc, but it's a guide.> > > >If this doesnt meet my requirements - what does everyone recommend in> the way of wastegates? > > > You'll need something in the region of 42-45mm. Any bigger than that is> wrong for your appliation, and becomes difficult to control. > > Cully> > > ---> Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/> Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger http://www.turbo.co.nz

Invite your mail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live Spaces. It's easy! Try it! --- Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/ Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger http://www.turbo.co.nz --- Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/ Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger http://www.turbo.co.nz

Discover the new Windows Vista Learn more! --- Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/ Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger http://www.turbo.co.nz --- Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/ Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger http://www.turbo.co.nz
Explore the seven wonders of the world

RE: Wastegate size   2007-09-14 12:03:00 <Llewellyn Giles>
50mm will give you room to grow.

Talk to John!!