G-Series bellhousing?   2008-09-27 19:55:00 <James>
I have a w58 with what i thought was a g series b/housing but... I have seen pics of others and the hole for where the throwout fork goes through, and it is on the same side as where the starter motor is, but with mine its on the other side so something tells me that its not the right one?

Thanks

Re: G-Series bellhousing?   2008-09-27 21:52:00 <Looonie>
1G-GTE bellhousing has the starter bulge at the top on the passengers side
and the clutch slave cylinder mounts on the passenger side below this. It
may be that you have a 1G-EU bellhousing from a Crown or something, but
probably more likely to be a T series I think as I believe they have the
clutch slave on the other side, but I could be wrong.

Cheers

Dave
021 066 8686
----- Original Message -----
From: "James" <jknock@kol.co.nz>
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2008 7:47 PM
Subject: [sconz] G-Series bellhousing?

>I have a w58 with what i thought was a g series b/housing but... I have
>seen pics of others and the hole for where the throwout fork goes through,
>and it is on the same side as where the starter motor is, but with mine its
>on the other side so something tells me that its not the right one?
>
> Thanks

Re: G-Series bellhousing?   2008-09-28 10:43:00 <mark>
sounds like you have a 3tgte bellhousing. they interchange but the 3t has clutch fork on the driver side and an extra bolt hole near the top driver side. the clutch fork itself is identical.

http://www.toycrazy.net/miscpics/t-g-w-bellcompare.jpg

http://www.toycrazy.net/tech/pics/3tgte-clutchfork.jpg

i'll swap you a 1G bell for it???!! :D

Re: G-Series bellhousing?   2008-09-29 15:27:00 <James>
Yes....

Thankyou guys,

I have a freaken 3tgte one!!!

I dont want that so, obviously the guy has lied to me and now i need to no if my so-called w58 boxes are what they are? How can i identify these? will a pic do it?

Do you have the throwout and slave setup on the housing as well dude? If so i would be interested in swap.

Re: G-Series bellhousing?   2008-09-29 15:36:00 <James>
all so, The boxes (2 of them) look like they have mid shift housings on them and what housingsor measurements fit in the mk3 Supra? I am looking right now at another box on trademe from a ga70 and it is up there in Auckland matbe im better to get another 3 w58 box????

Re: G-Series bellhousing?   2008-09-29 20:46:00 <James>
Yeah im thinkin along the lines of getting that third box like i said, from Jap spares unless i can get hold of another g series bell housing etc.

Is the mk3 Supra rear shift position??

Re: G-Series bellhousing?   2008-09-30 07:06:00 <mark>
yes i can supply 1G slave and throwout bearing if you want to swap the 3t bell. if the shifter on your box is looking like its positioned in the center of the shifter plate, then thats a front shifter. considering it has a 3t bell, its most likely a w55 from ta63GT-T or tt142 GT-T as these only come with front shifter.

the way to check which box it is, is confirm what ratio's it has inside. having a steel center plate is not always definitive for a w58.
to check ratio, mark a twink dot (or paint or marker etc) on the input and output shafts on the ends and one against the housing next to the shaft dot. then get a 2nd person to count rotations as you spin the input shaft. for 1st gear, get the person on the tail housing to count 10 full turns. if the input is 32.85 turns then you have either w57 or w58. if its 35.66 then more likely to be w55. 5th gear will determine between w57 or w58. count 10 turns on the input and you will either have 8.61 turns on output for w57 or 7.83 turns for w58. (doing it 10 rotations is more accurate than just one).
check the ratio's on the first page in the chart (2nd link is handy to know too) to see how i got those numbers.

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/loats/technical/ma61/gearboxes.html
http://www.retrotech.co.nz/Tech/Toyota-boxes.php

Re: G-Series bellhousing?   2008-09-30 07:09:00 <mark>
correction... to check 5th gear ratio.. continue counting 10 rotations of the tail shaft.. input shaft will either be 8.61, 8.5 or 7.83 turns.
-mark

Re: G-Series bellhousing?   2008-09-30 17:08:00 <James>
Thanks very much for your help Mark i will see how i get on with that then.

If you are interested in swapping 1g for 3t bell then email me at... Jknock@kol.co.nz and we will sort it out cheers.

Re: G-Series bellhousing?   2008-10-01 16:56:00 <James>
Mark...

Are you still keen on that swap?

Re: G-Series bellhousing?   2008-10-01 22:28:00 <mark>
yes definately.. email sent