2JZ downpipe question   2009-02-02 10:13:00 <Cully Paterson>
Hi guys,
The bog standard problem with 2JZGTE's overboosting when larger than
stock downpipes are installed - does anyone know how big you can go on
an otherwise stock setup before the wastegate is unable to control the
boost any more? Have a mechanic friend who is asking the question as a
2.5" pipe on a customer car is causing it to happen.

Thanks

Re: 2JZ downpipe question   2009-02-02 10:38:00 <Adrian Maka>
I have a 3" on mine and it gets to 1 bar and holds there. Only ever
spiked when i had nothing off the turbos when i drove it to the
exhaust shop.
Mr Muffler said that i might have to have a restrictor on it but no
worries there. The baffle of the first muffler has let go so maybe
thats restricting flow and not allowing to overboost? :o

Cheers,
Adrian.

Quoting Cully Paterson <Cully@supras.org.nz>:

> Hi guys,
> The bog standard problem with 2JZGTE's overboosting when larger than
> stock downpipes are installed - does anyone know how big you can go on
> an otherwise stock setup before the wastegate is unable to control the
> boost any more? Have a mechanic friend who is asking the question as a
> 2.5" pipe on a customer car is causing it to happen.
>
> Thanks

RE: 2JZ downpipe question   2009-02-06 12:40:00 <John Rosser>
A lot of the aristo boys in aussie leave the downpipe stock, and just remove
the front cat, then do a decient cat back system, this seems to be a good
way of keeping the boost around stock levels, but still free up the flow a
little bit to be ok when running higher boost, etc. it's what we'll probably
do with ours, not much point in putting on a big exhaust, then have to run a
restrictor or anything, when the stock will be enough for what we want.

Adrian did you use a supra 2j or an aristo 2j for your conversion? There's
quite a few differences I've noticed between the two...

John R