WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-21 15:56:00 <Hunt M>
Hey all

I'm wanting to re-do my PCV setup and wondering if anyone has any PCV or one
way check valves they're willing to part with?
I have one off a Pajero but it leaks

Re: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-21 18:39:00 <nitrorz>
get rid of it
----- Original Message -----
From: Hunt M
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2009 3:56 PM
Subject: [sconz] WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"

Hey all

I'm wanting to re-do my PCV setup and wondering if anyone has any PCV or one way check valves they're willing to part with?

I have one off a Pajero but it leaks

Re: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-21 21:06:00 <Hunt M>
And have boost going into the crankcase? I don't think so Tim....

On 21/09/2009, nitrorz <nitrorz@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> get rid of it

Re: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-21 21:32:00 <nitrorz>
run hoses from engine rocker covers to a breather tank, and do away with
pvc to maniflold no more oil into itake manifold :)

> And have boost going into the crankcase? I don't think so Tim....
>
> On 21/09/2009, nitrorz <nitrorz@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>> get rid of it

Re: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-21 21:50:00 <Hunt M>
And have the breather venting to atmosphere?

On 21/09/2009, nitrorz <nitrorz@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> run hoses from engine rocker covers to a breather tank, and do away with
> pvc to maniflold no more oil into itake manifold :)

Re: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 06:04:00 <nitrorz>
yup both my covers run to a 2 litre [manz spec]ss tank with large breather
> And have the breather venting to atmosphere?
>
> On 21/09/2009, nitrorz <nitrorz@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>> run hoses from engine rocker covers to a breather tank, and do away
>> with
>> pvc to maniflold no more oil into itake manifold :)

Re: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 06:49:00 <huntatwork@...>
Don't you get a film of oil over everything in the engine bay?

--------------------------

yup both my covers run to a 2 litre [manz spec]ss tank with large breather
> And have the breather venting to atmosphere?
>
> On 21/09/2009, nitrorz <nitrorz@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>> run hoses from engine rocker covers to a breather tank, and do away
>> with
>> pvc to maniflold no more oil into itake manifold :)

RE: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 07:24:00 <Llewellyn Giles>
Not if you have a can that is properly designed to capture and store.

Don't you get a film of oil over everything in the engine bay?

--------------------------

yup both my covers run to a 2 litre [manz spec]ss tank with large breather
> And have the breather venting to atmosphere?
>
> On 21/09/2009, nitrorz <nitrorz@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>> run hoses from engine rocker covers to a breather tank, and do away
>> with
>> pvc to maniflold no more oil into itake manifold :)

Re: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 11:01:00 <Marc Archbold>

2L! How much blow by is your JZ producing?!?! Perhaps a [boyz spec] would
suffice?

-Marc

> yup both my covers run to a 2 litre [manz spec]ss tank with large
> breather

RE: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 11:02:00 <Marc Archbold>

Yeah, but for 2L worth of blow by, you may as well plumb it back into the
crankcase :-)

> Not if you have a can that is properly designed to capture and store.

> Don't you get a film of oil over everything in the engine bay?

> yup both my covers run to a 2 litre [manz spec]ss tank with large
> breather

Re: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 11:03:00 <Hunt M>
haha snap
Although one would argue that the larger the volume the greater the chance
the vapor has time to condense into a liquid and not be blown out the little
filter?

2009/9/22 Marc Archbold <marc.a@paradise.net.nz>

> 2L! How much blow by is your JZ producing?!?! Perhaps a [boyz spec] would
> suffice?
>
> -Marc
>

> > yup both my covers run to a 2 litre [manz spec]ss tank with large
> > breather

Re: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 11:05:00 <suprra girl>
I believe it's the one of the track laws for racing an puke to have a
certain size per L of displacement.
I run my catch can to the intake not atmosphere tho.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Marc Archbold <marc.a@paradise.net.nz>wrote:

> Yeah, but for 2L worth of blow by, you may as well plumb it back into the
> crankcase :-)
>

> > Not if you have a can that is properly designed to capture and store.

> > Don't you get a film of oil over everything in the engine bay?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Hunt

> > yup both my covers run to a 2 litre [manz spec]ss tank with large
> > breather

Re: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 11:21:00 <Hunt M>
ah ok - interesting
cheers for that Suze

I did have mine plumbed back but oil lowering the octane level has sorta put
me off.....

2009/9/22 suprra girl <suprra@gmail.com>

> I believe it's the one of the track laws for racing an puke to have a
> certain size per L of displacement.
> I run my catch can to the intake not atmosphere tho.
>
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Marc Archbold <marc.a@paradise.net.nz>wrote:
>

>> Yeah, but for 2L worth of blow by, you may as well plumb it back into the
>> crankcase :-)
>>

>> > Not if you have a can that is properly designed to capture and store.

>> > Don't you get a film of oil over everything in the engine bay?
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> > Hunt

>> > yup both my covers run to a 2 litre [manz spec]ss tank with large
>> > breather

RE: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 11:22:00 <John Rosser>
Have heard one thing that helps when building a catch can is to have loose
steel wool in the can, so that the vapor has something to cling to, stops a
lot of the vapor trying to come out through the breather.

That and have the feed pipe coming into to can comes in at an angle so that
the vapor swirls round the can to again help the vapor condense to the sides
of the can.

John R

Not if you have a can that is properly designed to capture and store.

Don't you get a film of oil over everything in the engine bay?

--------------------------

yup both my covers run to a 2 litre [manz spec]ss tank with large breather
> And have the breather venting to atmosphere?
>
> On 21/09/2009, nitrorz <nitrorz@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>> run hoses from engine rocker covers to a breather tank, and do away
>> with
>> pvc to maniflold no more oil into itake manifold :)

17:51:00

RE: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 11:48:00 <John Rosser>
If the catch can is doing it's job, and everything else is working fine,
then in theory you should have naf all oil going back into the intake, not
enough I'd say to affect the octane rating.

John R

_____

I did have mine plumbed back but oil lowering the octane level has sorta put
me off.....

17:55:00

RE: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 11:58:00 <Llewellyn Giles>
For peace of mind ditch the PCV - It's only there for emissions crap!! Just build yourself a really nice can and you will be happy with the results (as well as keeping the motorsport / drag rules people happy).

Mine was made by Alex and holds 3.8L. Inside it has 3 diffusing plates to cause the gasses to go around like an S as well as being filled with Stainless Steel Wool.

My engine does not visible breath or leave any oil in the bay around the filter but I get about 500ml of really yucky smelling brown water per oil change (oil level does not move either).

Pics if you are interested in how I did mine:
http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1309.jpg
http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1310.jpg
http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1311.jpg

Not if you have a can that is properly designed to capture and store.

Don't you get a film of oil over everything in the engine bay?

--------------------------

yup both my covers run to a 2 litre [manz spec]ss tank with large breather
> And have the breather venting to atmosphere?
>
> On 21/09/2009, nitrorz <nitrorz@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>> run hoses from engine rocker covers to a breather tank, and do away
>> with
>> pvc to maniflold no more oil into itake manifold :)

17:51:00

Re: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 12:09:00 <Hunt M>
wow that is really nice!
where on earth do you have space for something that big lol

2009/9/22 Llewellyn Giles <llewellyn@gilesnz.com>

> For peace of mind ditch the PCV - It's only there for emissions crap!! Just
> build yourself a really nice can and you will be happy with the results (as
> well as keeping the motorsport / drag rules people happy).
>
> Mine was made by Alex and holds 3.8L. Inside it has 3 diffusing plates to
> cause the gasses to go around like an S as well as being filled with
> Stainless Steel Wool.
>
> My engine does not visible breath or leave any oil in the bay around the
> filter but I get about 500ml of really yucky smelling brown water per oil
> change (oil level does not move either).
>
> Pics if you are interested in how I did mine:
> http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1309.jpg
> http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1310.jpg
> http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1311.jpg

> Have heard one thing that helps when building a catch can is to have loose
> steel wool in the can, so that the vapor has something to cling to, stops a
> lot of the vapor trying to come out through the breather.
>
> That and have the feed pipe coming into to can comes in at an angle so that
> the vapor swirls round the can to again help the vapor condense to the
> sides
> of the can.
>
> John R

RE: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 12:56:00 <Marc Archbold>
> For peace of mind ditch the PCV - It's only there for emissions crap!!

Spoken like a man without kids :)

> Just build yourself a really nice can and you will be happy with the
> results (as well as keeping the motorsport / drag rules people happy).

Actually vacuum applied to the crank is a good thing. Of course when on boost
and utilising the stock PCV this does not happen, but for what percentage of
time are you driving on boost?

> Mine was made by Alex and holds 3.8L. Inside it has 3 diffusing plates
> to cause the gasses to go around like an S as well as being filled with
> Stainless Steel Wool.

Nuts...no wonder there are exhaust mufflers bigger than ATR72 exhausts
attached to some cars...easy sell!

3.8L!? 3.8L is a dry sump, not a 'oil catch can.'
BTW, the wool is simply assists condensing.

> My engine does not visible breath or leave any oil in the bay around the
> filter but I get about 500ml of really yucky smelling brown water per
> oil change (oil level does not move either).

Sounds like you have a problem: 500ml of fluid in a catch can between oil
changes is excessive.

> Pics if you are interested in how I did mine:
> http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1309.jpg
> http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1310.jpg
> http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1311.jpg

Shiny.

RE: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 13:15:00 <Llewellyn Giles>
Answered below and for where it sits here is a picture (Top Right)

http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/PIC_0040.jpg

Hunt - Like the $190 radiator :) - Go China!

> For peace of mind ditch the PCV - It's only there for emissions crap!!

>>Spoken like a man without kids :) -
Not even getting started on emissions rubbish....

> Just build yourself a really nice can and you will be happy with the
> results (as well as keeping the motorsport / drag rules people happy).

>>Actually vacuum applied to the crank is a good thing. Of course when on boost
>>and utilising the stock PCV this does not happen, but for what percentage of
>>time are you driving on boost?

Vacuum is good but PCV valve is far from the best solution - Slash cut in the exhaust is my personal favourite other than a vacumme pump

> Mine was made by Alex and holds 3.8L. Inside it has 3 diffusing plates
> to cause the gasses to go around like an S as well as being filled with
> Stainless Steel Wool.

>>Nuts...no wonder there are exhaust mufflers bigger than ATR72 exhausts
>>attached to some cars...easy sell!

Meh - Works well

>>3.8L!? 3.8L is a dry sump, not a 'oil catch can.'
>>BTW, the wool is simply assists condensing.

3.8L is actually a fraction too small - Drag rules are requiring 10second and below cars to run a 4L can from this year.

> My engine does not visible breath or leave any oil in the bay around the
> filter but I get about 500ml of really yucky smelling brown water per
> oil change (oil level does not move either).

>>Sounds like you have a problem: 500ml of fluid in a catch can between oil
>>changes is excessive.

Not at all - it's all just water from our lovely friend nature and the painful process of condensation mixed in with lots of cold starts.

> Pics if you are interested in how I did mine:
> http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1309.jpg
> http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1310.jpg
> http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1311.jpg

Shiny.

Re: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 13:16:00 <huntatwork@...>
$190 USD?

--------------------------

Answered below and for where it sits here is a picture (Top Right)

http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/PIC_0040.jpg

Hunt - Like the $190 radiator :) - Go China!

> For peace of mind ditch the PCV - It's only there for emissions crap!!

>>Spoken like a man without kids :) -
Not even getting started on emissions rubbish....

> Just build yourself a really nice can and you will be happy with the
> results (as well as keeping the motorsport / drag rules people happy).

>>Actually vacuum applied to the crank is a good thing. Of course when on boost
>>and utilising the stock PCV this does not happen, but for what percentage of
>>time are you driving on boost?

Vacuum is good but PCV valve is far from the best solution - Slash cut in the exhaust is my personal favourite other than a vacumme pump

> Mine was made by Alex and holds 3.8L. Inside it has 3 diffusing plates
> to cause the gasses to go around like an S as well as being filled with
> Stainless Steel Wool.

>>Nuts...no wonder there are exhaust mufflers bigger than ATR72 exhausts
>>attached to some cars...easy sell!

Meh - Works well

>>3.8L!? 3.8L is a dry sump, not a 'oil catch can.'
>>BTW, the wool is simply assists condensing.

3.8L is actually a fraction too small - Drag rules are requiring 10second and below cars to run a 4L can from this year.

> My engine does not visible breath or leave any oil in the bay around the
> filter but I get about 500ml of really yucky smelling brown water per
> oil change (oil level does not move either).

>>Sounds like you have a problem: 500ml of fluid in a catch can between oil
>>changes is excessive.

Not at all - it's all just water from our lovely friend nature and the painful process of condensation mixed in with lots of cold starts.

> Pics if you are interested in how I did mine:
> http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1309.jpg
> http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1310.jpg
> http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1311.jpg

Shiny.

RE: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 13:21:00 <Llewellyn Giles>
NZD!!!!

Was something like $60US for the unit + US$65 for shipping. Worked out to $190ish NZ landed.

Just a one off I cannot go past nor resist e-bay special :)

Answered below and for where it sits here is a picture (Top Right)

http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/PIC_0040.jpg

Hunt - Like the $190 radiator :) - Go China!

> For peace of mind ditch the PCV - It's only there for emissions crap!!

>>Spoken like a man without kids :) -
Not even getting started on emissions rubbish....

> Just build yourself a really nice can and you will be happy with the
> results (as well as keeping the motorsport / drag rules people happy).

>>Actually vacuum applied to the crank is a good thing. Of course when on boost
>>and utilising the stock PCV this does not happen, but for what percentage of
>>time are you driving on boost?

Vacuum is good but PCV valve is far from the best solution - Slash cut in the exhaust is my personal favourite other than a vacumme pump

> Mine was made by Alex and holds 3.8L. Inside it has 3 diffusing plates
> to cause the gasses to go around like an S as well as being filled with
> Stainless Steel Wool.

>>Nuts...no wonder there are exhaust mufflers bigger than ATR72 exhausts
>>attached to some cars...easy sell!

Meh - Works well

>>3.8L!? 3.8L is a dry sump, not a 'oil catch can.'
>>BTW, the wool is simply assists condensing.

3.8L is actually a fraction too small - Drag rules are requiring 10second and below cars to run a 4L can from this year.

> My engine does not visible breath or leave any oil in the bay around the
> filter but I get about 500ml of really yucky smelling brown water per
> oil change (oil level does not move either).

>>Sounds like you have a problem: 500ml of fluid in a catch can between oil
>>changes is excessive.

Not at all - it's all just water from our lovely friend nature and the painful process of condensation mixed in with lots of cold starts.

> Pics if you are interested in how I did mine:
> http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1309.jpg
> http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1310.jpg
> http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1311.jpg

Shiny.

Re: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 13:23:00 <huntatwork@...>
Lucky

I've not been able to find a deal similar :(

--------------------------

Was something like $60US for the unit + US$65 for shipping. Worked out to $190ish NZ landed.

Just a one off I cannot go past nor resist e-bay special :)

Answered below and for where it sits here is a picture (Top Right)

http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/PIC_0040.jpg

Hunt - Like the $190 radiator :) - Go China!

> For peace of mind ditch the PCV - It's only there for emissions crap!!

>>Spoken like a man without kids :) -
Not even getting started on emissions rubbish....

> Just build yourself a really nice can and you will be happy with the
> results (as well as keeping the motorsport / drag rules people happy).

>>Actually vacuum applied to the crank is a good thing. Of course when on boost
>>and utilising the stock PCV this does not happen, but for what percentage of
>>time are you driving on boost?

Vacuum is good but PCV valve is far from the best solution - Slash cut in the exhaust is my personal favourite other than a vacumme pump

> Mine was made by Alex and holds 3.8L. Inside it has 3 diffusing plates
> to cause the gasses to go around like an S as well as being filled with
> Stainless Steel Wool.

>>Nuts...no wonder there are exhaust mufflers bigger than ATR72 exhausts
>>attached to some cars...easy sell!

Meh - Works well

>>3.8L!? 3.8L is a dry sump, not a 'oil catch can.'
>>BTW, the wool is simply assists condensing.

3.8L is actually a fraction too small - Drag rules are requiring 10second and below cars to run a 4L can from this year.

> My engine does not visible breath or leave any oil in the bay around the
> filter but I get about 500ml of really yucky smelling brown water per
> oil change (oil level does not move either).

>>Sounds like you have a problem: 500ml of fluid in a catch can between oil
>>changes is excessive.

Not at all - it's all just water from our lovely friend nature and the painful process of condensation mixed in with lots of cold starts.

> Pics if you are interested in how I did mine:
> http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1309.jpg
> http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1310.jpg
> http://www.warzone.co.nz/pictures/IMG_1311.jpg

Shiny.

RE: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 16:14:00 <Josh Te Brake>

Where have you put that and what shape is it?

> From: nitrorz@xtra.co.nz
> To: sconz@list.supras.org.nz
> Subject: Re: [sconz] WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"
> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 06:04:10 +1200
>
> yup both my covers run to a 2 litre [manz spec]ss tank with large breather

View photos of singles in your area. Click here
http://clk.atdmt.com/NMN/go/163036679/direct/01/

Re: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 16:21:00 <Hunt M>
up his bum

2009/9/22 Josh Te Brake <joshsupra2fast@hotmail.com>

> Where have you put that and what shape is it?
>
> > From: nitrorz@xtra.co.nz
> > To: sconz@list.supras.org.nz
> > Subject: Re: [sconz] WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"
> > Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 06:04:10 +1200
> >
> > yup both my covers run to a 2 litre [manz spec]ss tank with large
> breather

Re: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 18:46:00 <nitrorz>
nope as its not in the engine bay its underneath ,behind rh headlight you
can see it behind the indicator
> Don't you get a film of oil over everything in the engine bay?

> yup both my covers run to a 2 litre [manz spec]ss tank with large
> breather

Re: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 18:47:00 <nitrorz>
and that

Not if you have a can that is properly designed to capture and store.

Don't you get a film of oil over everything in the engine bay?

--------------------------

yup both my covers run to a 2 litre [manz spec]ss tank with large breather
> And have the breather venting to atmosphere?
>
> On 21/09/2009, nitrorz <nitrorz@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>> run hoses from engine rocker covers to a breather tank, and do away
>> with
>> pvc to maniflold no more oil into itake manifold :)

none its just built to manz spec
> 2L! How much blow by is your JZ producing?!?! Perhaps a [boyz spec]
> would
> suffice?
>
> -Marc
>

>> yup both my covers run to a 2 litre [manz spec]ss tank with large
>> breather

Re: WTB: PCV Valve or "check valve"   2009-09-22 18:56:00 <nitrorz>
no its a one way valve