water temp   2010-02-28 12:13:00 <Paul Orsborn>
My electric fan is governed by the stock temp switch on the thermostat which kicks in at 100 degrees and cuts at 95.

I'm putting in a thermistor today and a circuit board to control the range of temp the fan is on for.

I am going to set it to on at 95 and off at 85. Any feedback is appreciated

Cheers
Paul

Re: water temp   2010-02-28 13:57:00 <Hunt M>
100 is pretty hot for water temp. I'd want the fan to come on at about 90
and off at 80-85ish.

Actually - wouldn't it also depend on what the temp range of your thermostat
is? The one that regulates the water going to the radiator that is.

No point having the fans on full tit if there's no water getting to the
radiator....

On 28 February 2010 12:10, Paul Orsborn <linux_guru@nerdshack.com> wrote:

> My electric fan is governed by the stock temp switch on the thermostat
> which kicks in at 100 degrees and cuts at 95.
>
> I'm putting in a thermistor today and a circuit board to control the range
> of temp the fan is on for.
>
> I am going to set it to on at 95 and off at 85. Any feedback is appreciated
>
> Cheers
> Paul

RE: water temp   2010-02-28 19:31:00 <Llewellyn Giles>
Hunt that is WAY wrong

Most thermostats don't even open until 80-85 and the last thing you want to do is over cool an engine.

You ideally want the water between 92-98 so on at 95 and off at 90 is good.

________________________________
100 is pretty hot for water temp. I'd want the fan to come on at about 90 and off at 80-85ish.

Actually - wouldn't it also depend on what the temp range of your thermostat is? The one that regulates the water going to the radiator that is.

No point having the fans on full tit if there's no water getting to the radiator....

My electric fan is governed by the stock temp switch on the thermostat which kicks in at 100 degrees and cuts at 95.

I'm putting in a thermistor today and a circuit board to control the range of temp the fan is on for.

I am going to set it to on at 95 and off at 85. Any feedback is appreciated

Cheers
Paul

RE: water temp   2010-02-28 19:39:00 <Cully Paterson>
Not sure where you're getting that from. The information I have indicates that engines very rarely produce any more power over 84° or below 68°. The rationale behind production engines running higher temps is for fuel economy at cruise and upping the longevity of the oil.

________________________________

[...]

RE: water temp   2010-02-28 20:39:00 <Llewellyn Giles>
It is not all about power!! With fuel injected cars the computers are designed to run the car richer up to about 5 degrees after the thermostat opens. Add to that the fact that water in the oil cannot really be delt with until you get the temperature up to the 90+ mark .....

Had a few tuners tell me the same thing - 93 is the ideal temperature so 90-95 is a good place to have the fan controls.

Actually had Robin at Torque Performance tell my mate off the other day for having it set under 90.

________________________________
[...]

Re: water temp   2010-02-28 20:43:00 <Hunt M>
Doesn't oil have an optimal operating range?

Too hot = too 'thin'
Too cold = too 'thick'

?

On 28 February 2010 20:36, Llewellyn Giles <llewellyn@gilesnz.com> wrote:

> It is not all about power!! With fuel injected cars the computers are
> designed to run the car richer up to about 5 degrees after the thermostat
> opens. Add to that the fact that water in the oil cannot really be delt with
> until you get the temperature up to the 90+ mark .....
>
> Had a few tuners tell me the same thing - 93 is the ideal temperature so
> 90-95 is a good place to have the fan controls.
>
> Actually had Robin at Torque Performance tell my mate off the other day for
> having it set under 90.

> *Subject:* RE: [sconz] water temp
>
> Not sure where you're getting that from. The information I have
> indicates that engines very rarely produce any more power over 84° or below
> 68°. The rationale behind production engines running higher temps is for
> fuel economy at cruise and upping the longevity of the oil.

> *Subject:* RE: [sconz] water temp
>
> Hunt that is WAY wrong
>
> Most thermostats don't even open until 80-85 and the last thing you want to
> do is over cool an engine.
>
> You ideally want the water between 92-98 so on at 95 and off at 90 is good.

> *Subject:* Re: [sconz] water temp
>
> 100 is pretty hot for water temp. I'd want the fan to come on at about 90
> and off at 80-85ish.
>
> Actually - wouldn't it also depend on what the temp range of your
> thermostat is? The one that regulates the water going to the radiator that
> is.
>
> No point having the fans on full tit if there's no water getting to the
> radiator....
>

> On 28 February 2010 12:10, Paul Orsborn <linux_guru@nerdshack.com> wrote:
>
>> My electric fan is governed by the stock temp switch on the thermostat
>> which kicks in at 100 degrees and cuts at 95.
>>
>> I'm putting in a thermistor today and a circuit board to control the range
>> of temp the fan is on for.
>>
>> I am going to set it to on at 95 and off at 85. Any feedback is
>> appreciated
>>
>> Cheers
>> Paul

RE: water temp   2010-02-28 20:47:00 <Llewellyn Giles>
Yeah....

But oil naturally gets water in it. Water is only removed by getting oil hot enough to boil the water off and pass it through the PCV system.

Anyhow I have no issues with heat other than trying to keep it down - my car has stupid heat generating power :)!!

[...]

Re: water temp   2010-03-01 00:51:00 <Paul Orsborn>
I set it up 90-84, and then found on the TSRM that the thermostat works at 86-90 and then also to consider that I have an aftermarket thermostat.

Next weekend I'm going to put my thermostat in an electric jug and get an accurate reading.

My bro-in-law got an aftermarket thermostat for his 300zx and it opened later than Nissan one (76 degrees(factory specs)).

Cheers
Paul
[...]

Re: water temp   2010-03-01 07:57:00 <Hunt Moorhouse>
Use a pot on the stove. Gas if you can

Would give a more accurate and easier to manage temp