ST185 Rear Indicators   2010-08-09 11:59:00 <Aaron Mcfadzien>

Hey guys - bought a mongrel dog of a ST185 Celica GT-R recently - ive managed to repair what i can and will be repairing the rest when i have time and money but im having a silly problem with what should be a simple fix

how does one get to the rear indicator bulbs? inside the hatch behind the lights its all covered up with metal and looks impossible to access the lights\bulbs from inside the boot - but i cant find any way to access them from the outside either - where the indicator is to the side is a vent thing in the same orange plastic but im not tugging on that incase i really bust it good

so obviously im being a stupid man and doing it wrong or blindly overlooking something simple - does anyone here have any info that could help me figure out what i need to do so i can get to the bulb and replace the silly thing?

Cheers guys :)

Aaron

RE: ST185 Rear Indicators   2010-08-09 12:46:00 <Looonie>
I haven't personally pulled any ST18x tail lights out, but if they're
anything like my JZX90 then you actually remove the whole assembly to access
the bulbs. Inside the boot there should be some 10mm nuts where you would
expect to find the lightbulb access panel, undo this and slide the whole
assembly off the car, then you'll have access to the lights.

[...]

RE: ST185 Rear Indicators   2010-08-10 09:28:00 <Aaron Mcfadzien>

Cheers for that man - i had a look in some good light last night and it appears they decided not to bolt them in like normal and they have held them in place with giant plastic tabs that i darent put to much force on for fear they shatter - but otherwise they wont budge - might have to get angry with it tonight as i got nowhere last night :O

[...]

RE: ST185 Rear Indicators   2010-08-11 00:59:00 <mark>
i replaced tail lights on my st185 a month ago.. details a bit hazy but here goes.. remove plastic panel from inside boot. remove any nuts that are directly behind the tail light. (i think there are some)? you don't need to undo the metal panel directly under the tails. remove the side lense with the ribs on it.
theres a clip under it looking like this
http://www.rhdjapan.com/toyota-oem-jdm-option-orange-vent-tail-corner-st185-celica-17928?nflag=1
remove by prying the flat side out (rear most part). a couple butter knives should do it. dont yank on the rib as it will probably break like i did to mine. there is a screw behind it that needs to be undone. then yank on the tail light a corner at a time, you'll be able to see where the clips are that hold it in from inside the boot.
technically.. a GT-R would be an st182?

RE: ST185 Rear Indicators   2010-08-11 01:13:00 <mark>
oh actually, the retaining screws were at the top under the little square flaps. pry flaps up, take out screws. remove side lense and screw, then tail light should pop out with a twist.

RE: ST185 Rear Indicators   2010-08-11 08:51:00 <Aaron Mcfadzien>

Awesome! thanks for the info man!

ill go try this out later on but it is good to know that the Vent cover does actually come off

it most likley is a ST182 i was reading the firewall plate in the dark and most likley mis read it

Cheers for the help though!

Aaron :)