What oil for W55 gearbox?   2013-03-27 14:05:00 <Hunt M>
Hey all

What oil/fluid do people suggest for an old W55 that's probably done high
miles?

The bearings and synchro's SEEM ok - but I guess I'll find out when it's
running.

I used Redline lightweight shockproof in my W57 before I munched 3 teeth on
3rd gear - this fluid did not play nice with my synchro's. Ended up eating
2nd and 3rd gear synchro's relatively quickly.

Any other suggestions for the W55?

RE: What oil for W55 gearbox?   2013-03-27 19:18:00 <Nick Colebourne>
Shockproof ive heard thru American supra forums, does that to syncros

Just run redline MT-90,

tried and tested

What oil/fluid do people suggest for an old W55 that's probably done high miles?

The bearings and synchro's SEEM ok - but I guess I'll find out when it's running.

I used Redline lightweight shockproof in my W57 before I munched 3 teeth on 3rd gear - this fluid did not play nice with my synchro's. Ended up eating 2nd and 3rd gear synchro's relatively quickly.

Any other suggestions for the W55?
CheersHunt

Re: What oil for W55 gearbox?   2013-03-27 19:26:00 <Adrian Maka>
I read up that the Royal Purple is the way to go with the V160 and that's
what I have used in mine.

Maybe Royal Purple is the way to go with the older W series?

Cheers,
Adrian.

------------------------------
What oil/fluid do people suggest for an old W55 that's probably done high
miles?

The bearings and synchro's SEEM ok - but I guess I'll find out when it's
running.

I used Redline lightweight shockproof in my W57 before I munched 3 teeth on
3rd gear - this fluid did not play nice with my synchro's. Ended up eating
2nd and 3rd gear synchro's relatively quickly.

Any other suggestions for the W55?

RE: What oil for W55 gearbox?   2013-03-27 20:31:00 <Looonie>
W gearboxes run best on banana skins and semen.

What oil/fluid do people suggest for an old W55 that's probably done high
miles?

The bearings and synchro's SEEM ok - but I guess I'll find out when it's
running.

I used Redline lightweight shockproof in my W57 before I munched 3 teeth on
3rd gear - this fluid did not play nice with my synchro's. Ended up eating
2nd and 3rd gear synchro's relatively quickly.

Any other suggestions for the W55?

Re: What oil for W55 gearbox?   2013-03-27 20:59:00 <Hunt M>
I thought that was only you that did?

On 27 March 2013 20:27, Looonie <supras@boost.org.nz> wrote:

> W gearboxes run best on banana skins and semen.****
>
> ** **

Re: What oil for W55 gearbox?   2013-03-27 21:00:00 <Hunt M>
I had Royal Purple in my first W57 years ago - and it was ok - but I ran
the bearings in that....not sure if that was due to the oil not being so
good with older boxes or just my bad luck lol

I've heard good things from that MT-90 stuff - will see if my guy can get it

Cheers!

On 27 March 2013 19:28, Adrian Maka <adrian@mroizo.co.nz> wrote:

> I read up that the Royal Purple is the way to go with the V160 and that's
> what I have used in mine.
>
> Maybe Royal Purple is the way to go with the older W series?
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian.
>
> On 27/03/2013, at 19:18, Nick Colebourne <nick_red82@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Shockproof ive heard thru American supra forums, does that to syncros
>
> Just run redline MT-90,
>
> tried and tested
>
> ------------------------------
> Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:04:23 +1300
> Subject: [sconz] What oil for W55 gearbox?
> From: huntatwork@gmail.com
> To: sconz@list.supras.org.nz
>
> Hey all
>
> What oil/fluid do people suggest for an old W55 that's probably done high
> miles?
>
> The bearings and synchro's SEEM ok - but I guess I'll find out when it's
> running.
>
> I used Redline lightweight shockproof in my W57 before I munched 3 teeth
> on 3rd gear - this fluid did not play nice with my synchro's. Ended up
> eating 2nd and 3rd gear synchro's relatively quickly.
>
> Any other suggestions for the W55?

RE: What oil for W55 gearbox?   2013-03-28 14:38:00 <James Knock>
I also use Redline MT-90 in my w58 so will 2nd that!

What oil/fluid do people suggest for an old W55 that's probably done high miles?

The bearings and synchro's SEEM ok - but I guess I'll find out when it's running.

I used Redline lightweight shockproof in my W57 before I munched 3 teeth on 3rd gear - this fluid did not play nice with my synchro's. Ended up eating 2nd and 3rd gear synchro's relatively quickly.

Any other suggestions for the W55?
CheersHunt

RE: What oil for W55 gearbox?   2013-03-28 15:58:00 <Aaron Mcfadzien>
+1 here, MT-90 made my R154 play real nicely, so the same should go for a W Box too

I also use Redline MT-90 in my w58 so will 2nd that!

What oil/fluid do people suggest for an old W55 that's probably done high miles?

The bearings and synchro's SEEM ok - but I guess I'll find out when it's running.

I used Redline lightweight shockproof in my W57 before I munched 3 teeth on 3rd gear - this fluid did not play nice with my synchro's. Ended up eating 2nd and 3rd gear synchro's relatively quickly.

Any other suggestions for the W55?
CheersHunt

RE: What oil for W55 gearbox?   2013-03-28 16:14:00 <Marc Archbold>
Second that. Expensive but didnt seem to be choice supportive bias.

Also, anyone interested in my immaculate JZA70 R message me offlist with
offer.

Regards,
Marc

RE: What oil for W55 gearbox?   2013-03-28 19:18:00 <James Knock>
not choice supportive bias would make you extra clever on that one then Marc. Kudos too you.
Second that. Expensive but didnt seem to be choice supportive bias.
Also, anyone interested in my immaculate JZA70 R message me offlist with offer.
Regards,

Marc

RE: What oil for W55 gearbox?   2013-03-28 19:21:00 <Marc Archbold>
Cheers, glad you thought so. Have you tried red line?

On 28/03/2013 7:18 PM, "James Knock" <celicasupramteu@hotmail.com> wrote:

> not choice supportive bias would make you extra clever on that one then
Marc. Kudos too you.

RE: What oil for W55 gearbox?   2013-03-28 19:30:00 <James Knock>
of course as all the real racers do lol! It wouldn't matter in a jza70 thats driven like a old lady though. Kinda like what that mate of yours down here does....