WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-07-26 12:54:00 <Hunt M>
My power steering pump on my 1G is making some great noises.

Has anyone got one they want to get rid of/sell?

I'm in Auckland.

Is there any other car's with compatible power steering pumps?

Re: WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-07-26 16:07:00 <Suzy W>
pretty much you're only looking at the gx and gz
soarers/crestas/chasers/mark2s all with 1g :/ wish i had one for ya bud

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Hunt M <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:

> My power steering pump on my 1G is making some great noises.
>
> Has anyone got one they want to get rid of/sell?
>
> I'm in Auckland.
>
> Is there any other car's with compatible power steering pumps?

RE: WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-07-28 11:58:00 <John Rosser>
I "think" I've still got one sitting in my spare shell. Free for ya if ya
want it, it's just getting it to you.

John R

pretty much you're only looking at the gx and gz
soarers/crestas/chasers/mark2s all with 1g :/ wish i had one for ya bud

My power steering pump on my 1G is making some great noises.

Has anyone got one they want to get rid of/sell?

I'm in Auckland.

Is there any other car's with compatible power steering pumps?

Re: WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-07-29 14:23:00 <Jonathan Walker>
Is your reservoir screen intact and contaminant free?
My power steering pump on my 1G is making some great noises.

Has anyone got one they want to get rid of/sell?

I'm in Auckland.

Is there any other car's with compatible power steering pumps?

Re: WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-07-29 14:24:00 <Jonathan Walker>
Rebuild is easy also, and will last longer than a 2nd hander
My power steering pump on my 1G is making some great noises.

Has anyone got one they want to get rid of/sell?

I'm in Auckland.

Is there any other car's with compatible power steering pumps?

Re: WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-07-29 14:25:00 <Hunt M>
Reservoir screen?

I'll have a look tonight. Don't think I have one...

On 29 July 2013 14:22, Jonathan Walker <jonolith@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> **
> Is your reservoir screen intact and contaminant free?

Re: WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-07-29 14:26:00 <Hunt M>
Oh yeah? What actually needs rebuilding in them? I mean it still works
fine, i.e. steering is light etc. Is it a bearing that goes bad or?

On 29 July 2013 14:23, Jonathan Walker <jonolith@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> **
> Rebuild is easy also, and will last longer than a 2nd hander

Re: WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-07-29 14:56:00 <Jonathan Walker>
does it sounds like it wants to jump out of the car? groaning and shreiking etc?

The reservoir screen on the 7m separated from the canister fell over the suction pipe and eventually blocked up, starving the pump. plenty of sterr boost but sounded muuunted.

Pump is simple, it's just a rotor, vanes, a cam ring, and a valve, and some other sundry stuff.
Oh yeah? What actually needs rebuilding in them? I mean it still works fine, i.e. steering is light etc. Is it a bearing that goes bad or?

Rebuild is easy also, and will last longer than a 2nd hander
My power steering pump on my 1G is making some great noises.

Has anyone got one they want to get rid of/sell?

I'm in Auckland.

Is there any other car's with compatible power steering pumps?

Re: WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-07-29 15:16:00 <Hunt M>
It sounds like I have a supercharger....don't really know how else to
describe it. I'll take a video tonight and see if the audio comes through.

I don't think the pump is being blocked/staved. When I take the reservoir
cap off you can see the fluid circulating around quite nicely....

On 29 July 2013 14:55, Jonathan Walker <jonolith@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> **
> does it sounds like it wants to jump out of the car? groaning and
> shreiking etc?
>
> The reservoir screen on the 7m separated from the canister fell over the
> suction pipe and eventually blocked up, starving the pump. plenty of sterr
> boost but sounded muuunted.
>
> Pump is simple, it's just a rotor, vanes, a cam ring, and a valve, and
> some other sundry stuff.

Re: WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-07-29 17:32:00 <Jonathan Walker>
Hahaha I know the noise well.Mine had a nice vortex of brand new fluid going down tot he pump too, it all looked good, but the pump was still starving. it got worse when the fluid was cold and near silent when the fluid was hot, but eventually the small part of the screen that was covering the suction pipe filled up with crap and it lost steering boost completely.

Dont fang it till you get it sorted or you'll likely cook it some. Take the reservoir out and clean it with something. From memory ga70 is plastic so be careful with organic solvents as im not sure they theyll do to it.Mine is steel so filled it with thinners and soaked it. You could use a good degreaser thoough as long as you rinse out and dry the res thoroughly afterwards.

Inspect the screens and your suction and return hoses. Ensure no piece of screen is covering the suction port in the bottom (f ing hard to see on those plastic res). If yours is stuffed, I have one that I cleaned out and used temporarily on ma71 while stell one was in pieces.

Clean and flush the entire system out with new dex 3, cooler and all, you get a lot of crap in there. literally PIPE CLEANER the cooler, suction and return lines, and cooler lines if youre gonna get right into it.

Refill with dex 3 and bleed the air out of the system with a good 20-30 lock to locks at high idle. Ive also heard of people using a good light hydraulic oil.

If the noise persists then pull the pump apart and check it out. Theyre pretty robust and the control valve is pretty reliable though. Im still on the starving pump bandwagon with yours. Supercharger noise haha, it did sound quite cool but I sorted it pretty quick.

Oh yeah? What actually needs rebuilding in them? I mean it still works fine, i.e. steering is light etc. Is it a bearing that goes bad or?

Rebuild is easy also, and will last longer than a 2nd hander
My power steering pump on my 1G is making some great noises.

Has anyone got one they want to get rid of/sell?

I'm in Auckland.

Is there any other car's with compatible power steering pumps?

Re: WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-07-29 17:34:00 <Jonathan Walker>
(Ill trade you my ga70 reservoir for the missing boot bung from my ma71 hahaha)

Oh yeah? What actually needs rebuilding in them? I mean it still works fine, i.e. steering is light etc. Is it a bearing that goes bad or?

Rebuild is easy also, and will last longer than a 2nd hander
My power steering pump on my 1G is making some great noises.

Has anyone got one they want to get rid of/sell?

I'm in Auckland.

Is there any other car's with compatible power steering pumps?

Re: WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-07-29 20:43:00 <Hunt M>
Thanks for that. Yeah the supercharger noise isn't too bad - but it's
definitely audible and annoying sometimes haha

I'll try and get some fluid this weekend. How much fluid does it take to
fill/flush?

On 29 July 2013 17:30, Jonathan Walker <jonolith@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> **
> Hahaha I know the noise well.Mine had a nice vortex of brand new fluid
> going down tot he pump too, it all looked good, but the pump was still
> starving. it got worse when the fluid was cold and near silent when the
> fluid was hot, but eventually the small part of the screen that was
> covering the suction pipe filled up with crap and it lost steering boost
> completely.
>
> Dont fang it till you get it sorted or you'll likely cook it some. Take
> the reservoir out and clean it with something. From memory ga70 is plastic
> so be careful with organic solvents as im not sure they theyll do to
> it.Mine is steel so filled it with thinners and soaked it. You could use a
> good degreaser thoough as long as you rinse out and dry the res thoroughly
> afterwards.
>
> Inspect the screens and your suction and return hoses. Ensure no piece of
> screen is covering the suction port in the bottom (f ing hard to see on
> those plastic res). If yours is stuffed, I have one that I cleaned out and
> used temporarily on ma71 while stell one was in pieces.
>
> Clean and flush the entire system out with new dex 3, cooler and all, you
> get a lot of crap in there. literally PIPE CLEANER the cooler, suction and
> return lines, and cooler lines if youre gonna get right into it.
>
> Refill with dex 3 and bleed the air out of the system with a good 20-30
> lock to locks at high idle. Ive also heard of people using a good light
> hydraulic oil.
>
> If the noise persists then pull the pump apart and check it out. Theyre
> pretty robust and the control valve is pretty reliable though. Im still on
> the starving pump bandwagon with yours. Supercharger noise haha, it did
> sound quite cool but I sorted it pretty quick.

Re: WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-07-30 20:44:00 <Jonathan Walker>
Go get a 4l on special, supercheap or repco usually have one on special in any given week, and then you have plenty to do all the work you might need to do. You could buy 1 l packs but its more cost effective just to get 4l.

I used 2 litres just to get the last of the rubbish out of the system. It sits in the rack cylinder and makes its way thru over time if you dont diassemble and clean it (not recommended unless it's malfunctioning). I flushed it after a days driving each day for 3 days - spick and span now not a hint of any contamination anywhere in the system that I can see, steering boost is higher than its ever been (on inspection we decided the collapsed screen had been like that for probably 3-4 yrs and literally just choked over time).

Oh yeah? What actually needs rebuilding in them? I mean it still works fine, i.e. steering is light etc. Is it a bearing that goes bad or?

Rebuild is easy also, and will last longer than a 2nd hander
My power steering pump on my 1G is making some great noises.

Has anyone got one they want to get rid of/sell?

I'm in Auckland.

Is there any other car's with compatible power steering pumps?

RE: WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-07-31 08:24:00 <Nick Colebourne>
Ive always in multiple vehicles now, Cleaned the reservoir

first then kept the return line off hooked up a hose to the return hose and piped it into a container

Then get someone to start the car and turn the wheel side to side while you pour fluid into the reservoir

When your happy with it, reconnect return line, run engine and top up accordingly

Oh yeah? What actually needs rebuilding in them? I mean
it still works fine, i.e. steering is light etc. Is it a bearing that
goes bad or?

My power steering pump on my 1G is making some great
noises.

Has anyone got one they want to get rid of/sell?

I'm in Auckland.

Is there any other car's with compatible power steering
pumps?

No virus found in this
message.
Database: 3209/6527 - Release Date: 07/28/13
No virus found in this
message.
Database: 3209/6527 - Release Date:
07/28/13

No virus found in this message.
Checked
by AVG - www.avg.com
3209/6527 - Release Date: 07/28/13

No virus found in this
message.
Database: 3209/6529 - Release Date: 07/29/13

Re: WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-07-31 08:55:00 <Tom Hill>
While we (you) are on topic, I converted my Mark 4 to vvti TT a year or so
ago and kept the sz-r na ps pump. it only seems to provide half the power
though, and you can hear it whirring a little when cold.

When I swapped it out I had to change the reservoir and ended up mounting
it lower than I would have liked (its about level with the pump).

Also the hoses aren't the best.

Do you guys think that it could be that because its the NA pump it is not
dealing with the extra TT engine weight?

Or is it worth raising the reservoir as much as I can and changing the
lines? Braided?

Cheers

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Nick Colebourne <nick_red82@hotmail.com>wrote:

> Ive always in multiple vehicles now, Cleaned the reservoir first then kept
> the return line off hooked up a hose to the return hose and piped it into a
> container
>
> Then get someone to start the car and turn the wheel side to side while
> you pour fluid into the reservoir
> When your happy with it, reconnect return line, run engine and top up
> accordingly
>
> ------------------------------
> From: jonolith@orcon.net.nz
> To: sconz@list.supras.org.nz
>
> Subject: Re: [sconz] WTB: Power Steering pump
> Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:42:21 +1200
>

> Go get a 4l on special, supercheap or repco usually have one on special in
> any given week, and then you have plenty to do all the work you might need
> to do. You could buy 1 l packs but its more cost effective just to get 4l.
>
> I used 2 litres just to get the last of the rubbish out of the system. It
> sits in the rack cylinder and makes its way thru over time if you dont
> diassemble and clean it (not recommended unless it's malfunctioning). I
> flushed it after a days driving each day for 3 days - spick and span now
> not a hint of any contamination anywhere in the system that I can see,
> steering boost is higher than its ever been (on inspection we decided the
> collapsed screen had been like that for probably 3-4 yrs and literally just
> choked over time).

Re: WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-07-31 09:39:00 <Hunt M>
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I've run out of time this week to take a look so will have to grab some
fluid and give it a good flush etc in the weekend!

I'll see if I've still got a bung floating around my boot for you Jonathan
- I don't really need it - just extra weight haha

On 31 July 2013 08:53, Tom Hill <tah283@gmail.com> wrote:

> While we (you) are on topic, I converted my Mark 4 to vvti TT a year or so
> ago and kept the sz-r na ps pump. it only seems to provide half the power
> though, and you can hear it whirring a little when cold.
>
> When I swapped it out I had to change the reservoir and ended up mounting
> it lower than I would have liked (its about level with the pump).
>
> Also the hoses aren't the best.
>
> Do you guys think that it could be that because its the NA pump it is not
> dealing with the extra TT engine weight?
>
> Or is it worth raising the reservoir as much as I can and changing the
> lines? Braided?
>
> Cheers
>

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Nick Colebourne <nick_red82@hotmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Ive always in multiple vehicles now, Cleaned the reservoir first then
>> kept the return line off hooked up a hose to the return hose and piped it
>> into a container
>>
>> Then get someone to start the car and turn the wheel side to side while
>> you pour fluid into the reservoir
>> When your happy with it, reconnect return line, run engine and top up
>> accordingly
>>
>> ------------------------------
>> From: jonolith@orcon.net.nz
>> To: sconz@list.supras.org.nz
>>
>> Subject: Re: [sconz] WTB: Power Steering pump
>> Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:42:21 +1200
>>

>> Go get a 4l on special, supercheap or repco usually have one on special
>> in any given week, and then you have plenty to do all the work you might
>> need to do. You could buy 1 l packs but its more cost effective just to get
>> 4l.
>>
>> I used 2 litres just to get the last of the rubbish out of the system. It
>> sits in the rack cylinder and makes its way thru over time if you dont
>> diassemble and clean it (not recommended unless it's malfunctioning). I
>> flushed it after a days driving each day for 3 days - spick and span now
>> not a hint of any contamination anywhere in the system that I can see,
>> steering boost is higher than its ever been (on inspection we decided the
>> collapsed screen had been like that for probably 3-4 yrs and literally just
>> choked over time).

RE: WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-07-31 19:57:00 <Nick Colebourne>

My vote would be in the pump starving of fluid...it will cope with the engine upgrade that's no problem

The pump relies on gravity fed fluid, it does suck but not very well, relocate your resivour get it as high as possible with the straightest hose possible. And your problem should go away and steering will be just like normal

Unless however running starving on fluid has damaged the pump, id relocate and flush at a minimum
And a braided hose will do nothing, there's no pressure in that side of the system, its purely expensive bling but if your into that..

Nick

[...]

Re: WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-08-06 10:15:00 <Jonathan Walker>
Pumps starving agreed. If the res is level with the pump, it would have a gnarly kink in the suction hose I'd imagine. Suction hose needs to be straight as poss and needs to drop direct to the pump. Doesn't take much pump starvation to burn the fluid either so clean that sucker out good and make sure the reservoir is completely clear of debris.

Be carful if using the engine to flush the sterring, those pumps can move a LOT of fluid lol. I used a hand operated fluid pump, it's slower and safer and makes it possible to do alone.

[...]

Re: WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-08-06 10:22:00 <Hunt M>
Thanks for that.

I was thinking of creating a temp pulley system on the end of a drill and
driving the pump that way. At least then I have full control over the speed
of the pump etc....

I'll see if I can get some fluid this weekend and give it a go. Ran out of
time last weekend.

Cheers!

Hunt

On 6 August 2013 10:11, Jonathan Walker <jonolith@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> **
> Pumps starving agreed. If the res is level with the pump, it would have a
> gnarly kink in the suction hose I'd imagine. Suction hose needs to be
> straight as poss and needs to drop direct to the pump. Doesn't take much
> pump starvation to burn the fluid either so clean that sucker out good and
> make sure the reservoir is completely clear of debris.
>
> Be carful if using the engine to flush the sterring, those pumps can move
> a LOT of fluid lol. I used a hand operated fluid pump, it's slower and
> safer and makes it possible to do alone.

Re: WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-08-06 10:27:00 <Tom Hill>
Thanks guys- Gonna try and get this sorted out asap, it hasn't been run
much at all, so I doubt anything will be damaged but i will give her a
clean out and swap the fluid when I relocate the res

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Hunt M <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for that.
>
> I was thinking of creating a temp pulley system on the end of a drill and
> driving the pump that way. At least then I have full control over the speed
> of the pump etc....
>
> I'll see if I can get some fluid this weekend and give it a go. Ran out of
> time last weekend.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Hunt
>

> On 6 August 2013 10:11, Jonathan Walker <jonolith@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
>
>> **
>> Pumps starving agreed. If the res is level with the pump, it would have a
>> gnarly kink in the suction hose I'd imagine. Suction hose needs to be
>> straight as poss and needs to drop direct to the pump. Doesn't take much
>> pump starvation to burn the fluid either so clean that sucker out good and
>> make sure the reservoir is completely clear of debris.
>>
>> Be carful if using the engine to flush the sterring, those pumps can move
>> a LOT of fluid lol. I used a hand operated fluid pump, it's slower and
>> safer and makes it possible to do alone.

Re: WTB: Power Steering pump   2013-08-06 13:33:00 <Jonathan Walker>
That's another idea, but if you were going to that much effort you might as well just use the engine. Make sure you secure your return line to the drain container youre using, or else you'll have a mess on your hands. And the pouring of the fluid, that's a lot of pouring you have to do to keep up with the pump and stop it sucking air.

Here's a trick I learned a few years ago that might make it a bit easier if you don't have a hand pump - this saved my arse when I had to do this alone at 3am on my z32. hicas is not good at dealing with rubbish fluid.

You know the liquid hand soap everyone uses these days? Got a strong hand? Pull the pump out of the bottle and remove the soap pipe, and use a smaller diameter hose to connect to it and then clamp that into the return line (find a hose that will fit both). Pump the pump repeatedly and this will slowly suck all the fluid out of the pump and res. You won't be able to flush out the rack cylinder this way though as you really need someone to operate the steering at the same time to do that, and this method is slow. But effective. Wear gloves, and have your patience with you - it does work. And it removes the need for a helper or a convoluted drill motor pulley system. Let me know if you need a hand I'll be round akl this weekend and can bring you the cleaned up ga70 reservoir.