Re: MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve - Suzy   2013-08-14 13:26:00 <aj hunter>
Hi Suzy,

Any luck with this? (see below)

AJ Hunter
Graphic Designer

027 201 9738

________________________________
From: Suzy W <suprra@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, 12 August 2013 8:05 PM
Subject: Re: [sconz] MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve dead.

mk3 supra :p
Alrightey well I can dig it out tomorrow and test it for ya :)

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:

This looks like it.

http://www.rclambert.com/supra/mk3vsv7.jpg

>AJ Hunter
>Graphic Designer

>027 201 9738

>Sent: Monday, 12 August 2013 6:10 PM
>Subject: Re: [sconz] MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve dead.
>

>I found a heater valve unit in a box the other day in our garage, I can dig it out if ya want, not sure if it works but better than 300 :p
>

>On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 6:08 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>Thanks Suzy,
>>
>>Regardless of what it's fitted to the part has about the same price.... about $300!
>>

>>There has to be a cheaper solution.
>>

>>Hmmmm...
>>

>>AJ Hunter
>>Graphic Designer

>>027 201 9738

Re: MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve - Suzy   2013-08-14 15:19:00 <Suzy W>
Well we dug it out, I measured it with multimeter with various ranges and
nothing :/
Chucked it on a battery and it energises fine so I guess it's fine?

All yours if you want it :)

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Suzy,
>
> Any luck with this? (see below)
>
> AJ Hunter
> Graphic Designer

> 027 201 9738
> [image: http://www.enzedpcs.co.nz/home/images/signature.png]

> *Sent:* Monday, 12 August 2013 8:05 PM
> *Subject:* Re: [sconz] MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve dead.
>
> mk3 supra :p
> Alrightey well I can dig it out tomorrow and test it for ya :)
>

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> This looks like it.
>
> http://www.rclambert.com/supra/mk3vsv7.jpg
>

> AJ Hunter
> Graphic Designer

> 027 201 9738
> [image: http://www.enzedpcs.co.nz/home/images/signature.png]

> *Sent:* Monday, 12 August 2013 6:10 PM
> *Subject:* Re: [sconz] MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve dead.
>
> I found a heater valve unit in a box the other day in our garage, I can
> dig it out if ya want, not sure if it works but better than 300 :p
>

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 6:08 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Suzy,
>
> Regardless of what it's fitted to the part has about the same price....
> about $300!
>
> There has to be a cheaper solution.
>
> Hmmmm...
>
> AJ Hunter
> Graphic Designer

> 027 201 9738
> [image: http://www.enzedpcs.co.nz/home/images/signature.png]

Re: MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve - Suzy   2013-08-15 14:17:00 <aj hunter>
Thanks Suzy, but that's EXACTLY what mine was doing.

I think there is a minutely small break in the solenoid coil wire and  that's how it reads open circuit. Then you put power on it, vibrate it, move it around, heat it with your fingers, etc,  and then sometimes it works again and sometimes it doesn't.

It should read a rock steady 25 - 40 ohms.

 The local Toyota parts department said it's a $300 import and a a long wait for a new one from Japan.

 $300 for something which is pretty much just the back end end of a stereo tweeter speaker with a plunger and 2 plastic pipe connectors?
 No way, Toyota, you suck.

 Major props then to AA Partsworld here on Dixon St. They didn't know me from a bar of soap and yet then lent me 4 likely looking substitutes to take home and try out. Sure enough the  exact same valve with a different part number (because it has a different power connector and no blanked off unused outlet) off a 1990 Cynos is a perfect fit, for $15 bucks.

Result!!

Cheers

AJ Hunter
Graphic Designer

027 201 9738

________________________________
Well we dug it out, I measured it with multimeter with various ranges and nothing :/
Chucked it on a battery and it energises fine so I guess it's fine?

All yours if you want it :)

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Suzy,

>Any luck with this? (see below)
>

>AJ Hunter
>Graphic Designer

>027 201 9738

>Sent: Monday, 12 August 2013 8:05 PM
>Subject: Re: [sconz] MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve dead.
>

>mk3 supra :p
>Alrightey well I can dig it out tomorrow and test it for ya :)
>

>On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>This looks like it.
>>
>> http://www.rclambert.com/supra/mk3vsv7.jpg
>>

>>AJ Hunter
>>Graphic Designer

>>027 201 9738

>>Sent: Monday, 12 August 2013 6:10 PM
>>Subject: Re: [sconz] MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve dead.
>>

>>I found a heater valve unit in a box the other day in our garage, I can dig it out if ya want, not sure if it works but better than 300 :p
>>

>>On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 6:08 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>Thanks Suzy,
>>>
>>>Regardless of what it's fitted to the part has about the same price.... about $300!
>>>

>>>There has to be a cheaper solution.
>>>

>>>Hmmmm...
>>>

>>>AJ Hunter
>>>Graphic Designer

>>>027 201 9738
>>>

>---
Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/ Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger http://www.turbo.co.nz

Re: MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve - Suzy   2013-08-15 14:41:00 <Suzy W>
awesomeness! Dunno what the state of my one is thats currently on my car
but my hot cold works perfectly since I resoldered the heater unit. I
thought it was the valve faulty on my last heater unit because I couldn't
get heat, I swapped the vacuum to intake manifold permanently and got heat.
Resoldered a board and tested in my car and with nothing changed I now get
hot and cold :o So it turned out my heater unit was faulty and not the
valve heh.

The vsv, does that open the valve also for hot cold?

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 2:15 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> mk3 supra :p
> Alrightey well I can dig it out tomorrow and test it for ya :)
>

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> This looks like it.
>
> http://www.rclambert.com/supra/mk3vsv7.jpg
>

> AJ Hunter
> Graphic Designer

> 027 201 9738
> [image: http://www.enzedpcs.co.nz/home/images/signature.png]

> *Sent:* Monday, 12 August 2013 6:10 PM
> *Subject:* Re: [sconz] MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve dead.
>
> I found a heater valve unit in a box the other day in our garage, I can
> dig it out if ya want, not sure if it works but better than 300 :p
>

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 6:08 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Suzy,
>
> Regardless of what it's fitted to the part has about the same price....

Re: MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve - Suzy   2013-08-15 16:08:00 <aj hunter>
Hi Suzy,

Yes, I read about the VSV bypass mod you described.

The VSV is  a solenoid switch that opens and closes the vacuum connection between the intake manifold and vacuum operated plungerimmediately above the VSV.

This plunger has a lever attached to one end, and this lever is what operates the hot water valve.

Using battery juice to run the lever directly would require too much power and torque and electronics, so the climate control uses engine vacuum instead.

AJ Hunter
Graphic Designer

027 201 9738

________________________________
> [...]

>Hi Suzy,
>>
>>Any luck with this? (see below)
>>

>>AJ Hunter
>>Graphic Designer

>>027 201 9738

>>Sent: Monday, 12 August 2013 8:05 PM
>>Subject: Re: [sconz] MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve dead.
>>

>>mk3 supra :p
>>Alrightey well I can dig it out tomorrow and test it for ya :)
>>

>>On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>This looks like it.
>>>
>>> http://www.rclambert.com/supra/mk3vsv7.jpg
>>>

>>>AJ Hunter
>>>Graphic Designer

>>>027 201 9738

>>>Sent: Monday, 12 August 2013 6:10 PM
>>>Subject: Re: [sconz] MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve dead.
>>>

>>>I found a heater valve unit in a box the other day in our garage, I can dig it out if ya want, not sure if it works but better than 300 :p

Re: MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve - Suzy   2013-08-15 16:37:00 <Suzy W>
ok cool, that's what I thought, however, why is it that I haven't changed
the vacuum, it's still on intake manifold, yet when I go to cold... it's
cold :s well, as cold as air can get with no a/c heh.

I need to think about how it works some more I think lol (it's my worst
enemy but best friend, "having" to know how stuff works" :D)

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 4:06 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> mk3 supra :p
> Alrightey well I can dig it out tomorrow and test it for ya :)
>

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> This looks like it.
>
> http://www.rclambert.com/supra/mk3vsv7.jpg
>

> AJ Hunter
> Graphic Designer

> 027 201 9738
> [image: http://www.enzedpcs.co.nz/home/images/signature.png]

> *Sent:* Monday, 12 August 2013 6:10 PM
> *Subject:* Re: [sconz] MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve dead.
>
> I found a heater valve unit in a box the other day in our garage, I can
> dig it out if ya want, not sure if it works but better than 300 :p
>

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 6:08 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Suzy,
>
> Regardless of what it's fitted to the part has about the same price....

Re: MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve - Suzy   2013-08-15 16:54:00 <aj hunter>
Hi Suzy,

Like you, I HAVE to know how stuff works. I think I know the Supra heater and its idiosyncrasies off by heart now!

The percentage of heated air  that actually gets blown inside the car is decided by the elaborate assembly of flaps under the dash, which either mix hot air from the heater radiator with ambient air, or bypass it and just suck in outside air, or chilled air from the A/C.

During normal operation the hot water valve operates (if the VSV is working) as soon as the engine starts, unless and only  if the temperature slider is set to its absolute minimum setting and all the control switches are set to "auto."

All that you lose by bypassing the VSV is this feature.

Also:
Even at its "off" setting  the hot water valve is designed to let a small amount of hot water run through the heater radiator. I'm not sure why Toyota had it do this. Possibly to prevent vapour locks over the summer?

Cheers

AJ Hunter
Graphic Designer

027 201 9738

________________________________
> [...]

>>AJ Hunter
>>Graphic Designer

>>027 201 9738

>>Sent: Wednesday, 14 August 2013 3:16 PM
>>Subject: Re: [sconz] MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve - Suzy
>>

>>Well we dug it out, I measured it with multimeter with various ranges and nothing :/
>>Chucked it on a battery and it energises fine so I guess it's fine?
>>

>>All yours if you want it :)
>>

>>On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>Hi Suzy,
>>>
>>>Any luck with this? (see below)
>>>

>>>AJ Hunter
>>>Graphic Designer

>>>027 201 9738

>>>Sent: Monday, 12 August 2013 8:05 PM
>>>Subject: Re: [sconz] MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve dead.
>>>

>>>mk3 supra :p
>>>Alrightey well I can dig it out tomorrow and test it for ya :)

Re: MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve - Suzy   2013-08-15 16:59:00 <Suzy W>
Ahh so inside the boxes in the cabin, that makes sense, I was still amazed
that I could fix the heater unit, I am NOT a stable hand at soldering
little circuit boards haha. I'm going to be studying autotronics at unitec
so hopefully I can learn more about the ins and outs of auto electrical
systems :D

Cheers for that :)

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 4:52 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> mk3 supra :p
> Alrightey well I can dig it out tomorrow and test it for ya :)
>

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> This looks like it.
>
> http://www.rclambert.com/supra/mk3vsv7.jpg
>

> AJ Hunter
> Graphic Designer

> 027 201 9738
> [image: http://www.enzedpcs.co.nz/home/images/signature.png]

> *Sent:* Monday, 12 August 2013 6:10 PM
> *Subject:* Re: [sconz] MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve dead.
>
> I found a heater valve unit in a box the other day in our garage, I can
> dig it out if ya want, not sure if it works but better than 300 :p
>

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 6:08 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Suzy,
>
> Regardless of what it's fitted to the part has about the same price....

Re: MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve - Suzy   2013-08-28 08:39:00 <Suzy W>
Hey aj, quick question, I picked up a good vsv, does polarity matter
for it? New one has blue wire & y/l. I'm guessing y/l to gauge wire &
blue to black.

Cheers :)

On 8/15/13, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> No way, Toyota, you suck.
>>>
>>> Major props then to AA Partsworld here on Dixon St. They didn't know me
>>> from a bar of soap and yet then lent me 4 likely looking substitutes to
>>> take home and try out. Sure enough the  exact same valve with a different
>>> part number (because it has a different power connector and no blanked
>>> off unused outlet) off a 1990 Cynos is a perfect fit, for $15 bucks.
>>>

>>>Result!!
>>>

>>>Cheers
>>>

>>>AJ Hunter
>>>Graphic Designer

>>>027 201 9738

>>>Sent: Wednesday, 14 August 2013 3:16 PM
>>>Subject: Re: [sconz] MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve - Suzy
>>>

>>>Well we dug it out, I measured it with multimeter with various ranges and
>>> nothing :/
>>>Chucked it on a battery and it energises fine so I guess it's fine?

Re: MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve - Suzy   2013-08-29 17:07:00 <aj hunter>
no, it's just a relay and they don't care about polarity.

 cheers
AJ Hunter
Graphic Designer

027 201 9738

________________________________
> [...]

>>> No way, Toyota, you suck.
>>>
>>> Major props then to AA Partsworld here on Dixon St. They didn't know me
>>> from a bar of soap and yet then lent me 4 likely looking substitutes to
>>> take home and try out. Sure enough the  exact same valve with a different
>>> part number (because it has a different power connector and no blanked
>>> off unused outlet) off a 1990 Cynos is a perfect fit, for $15 bucks.
>>>

>>>Result!!
>>>

>>>Cheers
>>>

>>>AJ Hunter
>>>Graphic Designer

>>>027 201 9738

>>>Sent: Wednesday, 14 August 2013 3:16 PM
>>>Subject: Re: [sconz] MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve - Suzy
>>>

>>>Well we dug it out, I measured it with multimeter with various ranges and
>>> nothing :/
>>>Chucked it on a battery and it energises fine so I guess it's fine?

Re: MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve - Suzy   2013-08-29 22:15:00 <Marc Archbold>
Unless it has an internal back-emf suppression diode and you kill it with
incorrect polarity.

On 29 Aug 2013 17:06, "aj hunter" <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> no, it's just a relay and they don't care about polarity.
>

> cheers
> AJ Hunter
> Graphic Designer

> 027 201 9738

> Sent: Wednesday, 28 August 2013 8:36 AM
>
> Subject: Re: [sconz] MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve - Suzy
>
> Hey aj, quick question, I picked up a good vsv, does polarity matter
> for it? New one has blue wire & y/l. I'm guessing y/l to gauge wire &
> blue to black.
>
> Cheers :)

Re: MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve - Suzy   2013-08-29 22:44:00 <Suzy W>
aww Marc, you always gotta poke holes in my bubbles!

Wish I could remember the model of car I took it off >.< lol

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 10:13 PM, Marc Archbold <marc.archbold@gmail.com>wrote:

> Unless it has an internal back-emf suppression diode and you kill it with
> incorrect polarity.
>
> On 29 Aug 2013 17:06, "aj hunter" <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > no, it's just a relay and they don't care about polarity.
> >

> > cheers
> > AJ Hunter
> > Graphic Designer

> > 027 201 9738

> > Sent: Wednesday, 28 August 2013 8:36 AM
> >
> > Subject: Re: [sconz] MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve - Suzy
> >
> > Hey aj, quick question, I picked up a good vsv, does polarity matter
> > for it? New one has blue wire & y/l. I'm guessing y/l to gauge wire &
> > blue to black.
> >
> > Cheers :)

Re: MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve - Suzy   2013-08-30 18:50:00 <aj hunter>
Good call on the diode - hadn't thought of that.

You could spot it with a multimeter on the ohms range though. There would be a different reading when you swapped the leads around if a diode was present.

AJ Hunter
Graphic Designer

027 201 9738

________________________________
aww Marc, you always gotta poke holes in my bubbles!

Wish I could remember the model of car I took it off >.< lol

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 10:13 PM, Marc Archbold <marc.archbold@gmail.com> wrote:

Unless it has an internal back-emf suppression diode and you kill it with incorrect polarity.
>On 29 Aug 2013 17:06, "aj hunter" <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> no, it's just a relay and they don't care about polarity.
>>

>>  cheers
>> AJ Hunter
>> Graphic Designer

>> 027 201 9738

>> Sent: Wednesday, 28 August 2013 8:36 AM
>>
>> Subject: Re: [sconz] MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve - Suzy
>>
>> Hey aj, quick question, I picked up a good vsv, does polarity matter
>> for it? New one has blue wire & y/l. I'm guessing y/l to gauge wire &
>> blue to black.
>>
>> Cheers :)

Re: MK 3 Supra 7M-GTE heater VSV valve - Suzy   2013-09-04 14:04:00 <Suzy W>
Checked the valve and yeah not polarity sensitive, just wanted to thank ya
AJ for getting me the motivation to finally fix mine LOL. It's so nice to
have it hooked up like factory and working again :D