Your take on cork vs 'FIPG' for the sump.   2013-09-11 02:04:00 <Greg Hering>
We put the cork gasket from the set on the block, with Peramatex Ultra Grey RTV on both sides, torqued it as specd in the TSRM. The gasket bulged out. Last night we took the pan back off and the gasket was ripped in several places. We cleaned off the RTV and are ready to try this again. I see so many answers, but I wanted to hear what you fine people say.

Cork? Dry or with sealant?

FIPG? which I came to find was just RTV. Toyota brand or Permatex?

Any place else I should NOT use the gaskets I bought?

Thanks,

Greg

RE: Your take on cork vs 'FIPG' for the sump.   2013-09-11 09:52:00 <Linton, David>
Greg,
I'd fitted a cork gasket on a 5M engine and had problems with it sealing/leaking.
In the end I removed the cork gasket and just used the RTV/FPG gasket stuff - no leaks...

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Hering
Subject: [sconz] Your take on cork vs 'FIPG' for the sump.

We put the cork gasket from the set on the block, with Peramatex Ultra Grey RTV on both sides, torqued it as specd in the TSRM. The gasket bulged out. Last night we took the pan back off and the gasket was ripped in several places. We cleaned off the RTV and are ready to try this again. I see so many answers, but I wanted to hear what you fine people say.

Cork? Dry or with sealant?

FIPG? which I came to find was just RTV. Toyota brand or Permatex?

Any place else I should NOT use the gaskets I bought?

Thanks,

Greg

RE: Your take on cork vs 'FIPG' for the sump.   2013-09-11 10:01:00 <Cully Paterson>
I've fitted multiple sumps and have never had any problem sealing without a gasket. You need to make sure that the sump is straight and sits evenly on the block before you torque it down, or you'll run the risk of pushing the RTV out the sides when you put it on. You also need to gouge all the old sealant out of the channels in the edge of the pan before fitting - it's not always obvious that the old stuff is there as it tends to end up the same colour as everything around it.