Buggered wheel bearing on my MK3....   2013-12-09 10:16:00 <Hunt M>
Hey all

I've noticed a grinding type sound coming from the left side of my car. I
thought it was the back left, but yesterday after a long drive it got
really bad (actually made me nervous) and sounded like it was coming from
the front left.

I jacked the side of the car up and noticed there was a movement (not much
- but it's there....) in the left rear wheel when I held it at 9 and 3. And
a very small amount when I held the wheel at 12 and 6. There was no weird
noises when I had the car on axel stands and spun the tyres to 60kmph.
Perhaps it needs to have some load on the bearing?

The front wheel didn't seem to have any at all - which is odd as myself and
my passenger were both convinced that it was definitely coming from the
front.

What's the best way to test a wheel bearing other than the wiggle test?

And is it worth my time pressing out and in a new bearing, or just finding
another complete hub?

Re: Buggered wheel bearing on my MK3....   2013-12-10 07:14:00 <Dennis de Jong>
Just my two cents. Spinning the bearing in the hub without the wheel etc.
you should be able to feel roughness from inside the bearing, at least from
my experience with smaller bearings, I guess the same rules apply for
larger bearings.
I tried to remove a bearing from a hub in my Corolla and snapped off the
ABS sensor wheel in the process (it's brittle), but I'm clumsy and not sure
what the Supra system looks like... If it is the bearing I'd either get a
new hub or pay someone to press the bearing out and back in, would have
saved me a lot of drama.
On 9/12/2013 10:15 AM, "Hunt M" <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all
>
> I've noticed a grinding type sound coming from the left side of my car. I
> thought it was the back left, but yesterday after a long drive it got
> really bad (actually made me nervous) and sounded like it was coming from
> the front left.
>
> I jacked the side of the car up and noticed there was a movement (not much
> - but it's there....) in the left rear wheel when I held it at 9 and 3. And
> a very small amount when I held the wheel at 12 and 6. There was no weird
> noises when I had the car on axel stands and spun the tyres to 60kmph.
> Perhaps it needs to have some load on the bearing?
>
> The front wheel didn't seem to have any at all - which is odd as myself
> and my passenger were both convinced that it was definitely coming from the
> front.
>
> What's the best way to test a wheel bearing other than the wiggle test?
>
> And is it worth my time pressing out and in a new bearing, or just finding
> another complete hub?

Re: Buggered wheel bearing on my MK3....   2013-12-10 09:05:00 <Hunt M>
Thanks for that.

I don't have ABS. I have access to a press. I got a quote from Auckland
Bearings for $190+gst and about the same from Toyota NZ for one bearing -
bloody hell. That seems a bit ridiculous.

Does anyone have any contacts who can get them cheaper?

Ebay has them for $55 + shipping - which for 2 still works out way cheaper
than one locally!

I'd rather buy locally though as I'd like to get the car going in the next
week or so....

On 10 December 2013 07:13, Dennis de Jong <catingle1975@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just my two cents. Spinning the bearing in the hub without the wheel etc.
> you should be able to feel roughness from inside the bearing, at least from
> my experience with smaller bearings, I guess the same rules apply for
> larger bearings.
> I tried to remove a bearing from a hub in my Corolla and snapped off the
> ABS sensor wheel in the process (it's brittle), but I'm clumsy and not sure
> what the Supra system looks like... If it is the bearing I'd either get a
> new hub or pay someone to press the bearing out and back in, would have
> saved me a lot of drama.
> On 9/12/2013 10:15 AM, "Hunt M" <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey all
>>
>> I've noticed a grinding type sound coming from the left side of my car. I
>> thought it was the back left, but yesterday after a long drive it got
>> really bad (actually made me nervous) and sounded like it was coming from
>> the front left.
>>
>> I jacked the side of the car up and noticed there was a movement (not
>> much - but it's there....) in the left rear wheel when I held it at 9 and
>> 3. And a very small amount when I held the wheel at 12 and 6. There was no
>> weird noises when I had the car on axel stands and spun the tyres to
>> 60kmph. Perhaps it needs to have some load on the bearing?
>>
>> The front wheel didn't seem to have any at all - which is odd as myself
>> and my passenger were both convinced that it was definitely coming from the
>> front.
>>
>> What's the best way to test a wheel bearing other than the wiggle test?
>>
>> And is it worth my time pressing out and in a new bearing, or just
>> finding another complete hub?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Hunt

Re: Buggered wheel bearing on my MK3....   2013-12-14 01:26:00 <Jonathan Walker>
You'd think a bearing's a bearning, right? Beware of cheap wheel bearings. In my experience even aftermarket wheel bearings are expensive (over $100 for a reasonably chunky car). You rely on this bearing to stand up to what could be over half a tonne of force for a hundred thousand kilometres. One genuine nissan bearing for the 300zx was close to 250 or something like that. I did them all, cool grand, but I'm confident my wheel bearings are now good for a further 200,000km.

If you've got movement in the bearing it's porked. Don't keep driving it if it's more than a wearisome drone, as the bearing will just get ridiculously hot and you might do more damage.