Diff bearing replacement   2014-01-09 12:48:00 <Hunt M>
Hey all

My diff (4.1 Torsen) is making bad bearing noises so time to take it out
and throw some bearings and spacers etc at it.

Going off this it doesn't seem too difficult:

http://www.supracentral.com/foundation/tsrm/rear-axle-and-suspension/

Other than the front and rear pinion bearings, both side bearings and the 3
oil seals - what other serviceable parts should I be replacing?

Is that front spacer reusable? It looks like a crush spacer?

Re: Diff bearing replacement   2014-01-09 12:53:00 <Llewellyn Giles>
It's a crush spacer.

I would take it to someone who does it as a job to make sure all the
measurements are right (and I have done it myself a few times).

Egan at Dr Trans built mine and it was not expensive (he got the bearings
cheaper than I could too).

On 9 January 2014 12:48, Hunt M <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all
>
> My diff (4.1 Torsen) is making bad bearing noises so time to take it out
> and throw some bearings and spacers etc at it.
>
> Going off this it doesn't seem too difficult:
>
> http://www.supracentral.com/foundation/tsrm/rear-axle-and-suspension/
>

> Other than the front and rear pinion bearings, both side bearings and the
> 3 oil seals - what other serviceable parts should I be replacing?
>
> Is that front spacer reusable? It looks like a crush spacer?

Re: Diff bearing replacement   2014-01-09 12:56:00 <Hunt M>
Hey Llew - thanks for that.

Can you define 'not expensive'?

On 9 January 2014 12:53, Llewellyn Giles <llewellyn@gilesnz.com> wrote:

> It's a crush spacer.
>
> I would take it to someone who does it as a job to make sure all the
> measurements are right (and I have done it myself a few times).
>
> Egan at Dr Trans built mine and it was not expensive (he got the bearings
> cheaper than I could too).
>

> On 9 January 2014 12:48, Hunt M <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey all
>>
>> My diff (4.1 Torsen) is making bad bearing noises so time to take it out
>> and throw some bearings and spacers etc at it.
>>
>> Going off this it doesn't seem too difficult:
>>
>> http://www.supracentral.com/foundation/tsrm/rear-axle-and-suspension/
>>

>> Other than the front and rear pinion bearings, both side bearings and the
>> 3 oil seals - what other serviceable parts should I be replacing?
>>
>> Is that front spacer reusable? It looks like a crush spacer?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Hunt

Re: Diff bearing replacement   2014-01-09 13:00:00 <Llewellyn Giles>
Can't remember - Just remember I was not surprised and it was cheaper than
I could get from Auckland Bearings.

On 9 January 2014 12:56, Hunt M <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Llew - thanks for that.
>
> Can you define 'not expensive'?

> On 9 January 2014 12:53, Llewellyn Giles <llewellyn@gilesnz.com> wrote:
>
>> It's a crush spacer.
>>
>> I would take it to someone who does it as a job to make sure all the
>> measurements are right (and I have done it myself a few times).
>>
>> Egan at Dr Trans built mine and it was not expensive (he got the bearings
>> cheaper than I could too).
>>

>> On 9 January 2014 12:48, Hunt M <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey all
>>>
>>> My diff (4.1 Torsen) is making bad bearing noises so time to take it out
>>> and throw some bearings and spacers etc at it.
>>>
>>> Going off this it doesn't seem too difficult:
>>>
>>> http://www.supracentral.com/foundation/tsrm/rear-axle-and-suspension/
>>>

>>> Other than the front and rear pinion bearings, both side bearings and
>>> the 3 oil seals - what other serviceable parts should I be replacing?
>>>
>>> Is that front spacer reusable? It looks like a crush spacer?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Hunt
>>>

>>> ---
>>> Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/

Re: Diff bearing replacement   2014-01-09 13:27:00 <Hunt M>
Ok cool

I'll probably have to wait until after honeymoon and get it done end of Feb
- misses might not appreciate being left in NZ while I enjoy my honeymoon
with my newly rebuilt diff haha

But at least I know where to get it done now - cheers.