Changing valve springs without lifting head....   2014-01-28 18:10:00 <Hunt M>
Hey all.

While my diff is out and I'm waiting for parts to arrive, I thought I'd put
the set of heavier valve springs in that I have.

Is the rope down the spark plug hole trick the best way to go about keeping
the valves seated without removing the head?

I've heard bad things about using compressed air and if there's a slight
leak Etc the valve may fall down?

Any tips or tricks to doing it?

Re: Changing valve springs without lifting head....   2014-01-28 18:44:00 <Tom Hill>
Just did the stem seals on my 2j. Rope worked a treat. One cylinder at a time. Feeding the rope in is a bit shit.

Be careful not to scratch the bores for the buckets or they won't go back in so easy.

The collets fit down the oil drains so make sure you rag everything up.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 28/01/2014, at 6:09 pm, Hunt M <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey all.
>
> While my diff is out and I'm waiting for parts to arrive, I thought I'd put the set of heavier valve springs in that I have.
>
> Is the rope down the spark plug hole trick the best way to go about keeping the valves seated without removing the head?
>
> I've heard bad things about using compressed air and if there's a slight leak Etc the valve may fall down?
>
> Any tips or tricks to doing it?

Re: Changing valve springs without lifting head....   2014-01-28 18:51:00 <Tom Hill>
I put a screwdriver in the spark plug whole of the cylinder that is in the same position as the one I was working on. So you can get an idea on what's going on.

Make sure you get enough rope in there too. The valves need to be restricted enough as to not move or else getting your springs compressed back into place will be a pita.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 28/01/2014, at 6:44 pm, Tom Hill <tah283@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just did the stem seals on my 2j. Rope worked a treat. One cylinder at a time. Feeding the rope in is a bit shit.
>
> Be careful not to scratch the bores for the buckets or they won't go back in so easy.
>
> The collets fit down the oil drains so make sure you rag everything up.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 28/01/2014, at 6:09 pm, Hunt M <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hey all.
>>
>> While my diff is out and I'm waiting for parts to arrive, I thought I'd put the set of heavier valve springs in that I have.
>>
>> Is the rope down the spark plug hole trick the best way to go about keeping the valves seated without removing the head?
>>
>> I've heard bad things about using compressed air and if there's a slight leak Etc the valve may fall down?
>>
>> Any tips or tricks to doing it?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Hunt

Re: Changing valve springs without lifting head....   2014-01-28 19:27:00 <Hunt M>
Thanks for that.

So I'm guessing you lower the piston you're working on, add rope, bring
piston back up as much as you can?

How close to bottle dead centre did you start feeding the rope in?

Yeah I imagine losing the keepers down the oil galleries would be a rather
large pain in the *ahem*....
On 28/01/2014 6:51 PM, "Tom Hill" <tah283@gmail.com> wrote:

> I put a screwdriver in the spark plug whole of the cylinder that is in the
> same position as the one I was working on. So you can get an idea on what's
> going on.
>
> Make sure you get enough rope in there too. The valves need to be
> restricted enough as to not move or else getting your springs compressed
> back into place will be a pita.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 28/01/2014, at 6:44 pm, Tom Hill <tah283@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just did the stem seals on my 2j. Rope worked a treat. One cylinder at a
> time. Feeding the rope in is a bit shit.
>
> Be careful not to scratch the bores for the buckets or they won't go back
> in so easy.
>
> The collets fit down the oil drains so make sure you rag everything up.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 28/01/2014, at 6:09 pm, Hunt M <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey all.
>
> While my diff is out and I'm waiting for parts to arrive, I thought I'd
> put the set of heavier valve springs in that I have.
>
> Is the rope down the spark plug hole trick the best way to go about
> keeping the valves seated without removing the head?
>
> I've heard bad things about using compressed air and if there's a slight
> leak Etc the valve may fall down?
>
> Any tips or tricks to doing it?

Re: Changing valve springs without lifting head....   2014-01-28 20:33:00 <Tom>
Yeah lower it down as much as you can. Fill er up with a decent amount of rope, i got > a meter of 8mm nylon rope in there. Dont feed the whole rope in though haha. Turn it till it seizes on the rope. But not so much to bend anything though lol.

Sent from my iPad

> On 28/01/2014, at 7:26 pm, Hunt M <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for that.
>
> So I'm guessing you lower the piston you're working on, add rope, bring piston back up as much as you can?
>
> How close to bottle dead centre did you start feeding the rope in?
>
> Yeah I imagine losing the keepers down the oil galleries would be a rather large pain in the *ahem*....
>
>> On 28/01/2014 6:51 PM, "Tom Hill" <tah283@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I put a screwdriver in the spark plug whole of the cylinder that is in the same position as the one I was working on. So you can get an idea on what's going on.
>>
>> Make sure you get enough rope in there too. The valves need to be restricted enough as to not move or else getting your springs compressed back into place will be a pita.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On 28/01/2014, at 6:44 pm, Tom Hill <tah283@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just did the stem seals on my 2j. Rope worked a treat. One cylinder at a time. Feeding the rope in is a bit shit.
>>>
>>> Be careful not to scratch the bores for the buckets or they won't go back in so easy.
>>>
>>> The collets fit down the oil drains so make sure you rag everything up.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> ---
>>> Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/

Re: Changing valve springs without lifting head....   2014-01-29 19:15:00 <Hunt M>
What was the tool like that you used to compress the springs? I was
thinking of welding an old screw driver to a thick washer - but not sure if
that's the best way to do it?

On 28 January 2014 20:33, Tom <tah283@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah lower it down as much as you can. Fill er up with a decent amount of
> rope, i got > a meter of 8mm nylon rope in there. Dont feed the whole rope
> in though haha. Turn it till it seizes on the rope. But not so much to bend
> anything though lol.
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 28/01/2014, at 7:26 pm, Hunt M <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for that.
>
> So I'm guessing you lower the piston you're working on, add rope, bring
> piston back up as much as you can?
>
> How close to bottle dead centre did you start feeding the rope in?
>
> Yeah I imagine losing the keepers down the oil galleries would be a rather
> large pain in the *ahem*....
> On 28/01/2014 6:51 PM, "Tom Hill" <tah283@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I put a screwdriver in the spark plug whole of the cylinder that is in
>> the same position as the one I was working on. So you can get an idea on
>> what's going on.
>>
>> Make sure you get enough rope in there too. The valves need to be
>> restricted enough as to not move or else getting your springs compressed
>> back into place will be a pita.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 28/01/2014, at 6:44 pm, Tom Hill <tah283@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Just did the stem seals on my 2j. Rope worked a treat. One cylinder at a
>> time. Feeding the rope in is a bit shit.
>>
>> Be careful not to scratch the bores for the buckets or they won't go back
>> in so easy.
>>
>> The collets fit down the oil drains so make sure you rag everything up.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 28/01/2014, at 6:09 pm, Hunt M <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hey all.
>>
>> While my diff is out and I'm waiting for parts to arrive, I thought I'd
>> put the set of heavier valve springs in that I have.
>>
>> Is the rope down the spark plug hole trick the best way to go about
>> keeping the valves seated without removing the head?
>>
>> I've heard bad things about using compressed air and if there's a slight
>> leak Etc the valve may fall down?
>>
>> Any tips or tricks to doing it?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Hunt

Re: Changing valve springs without lifting head....   2014-02-03 20:08:00 <Jason Tomlins>
Have a read watch the vids

Use nylon rope.

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367794

Re: Changing valve springs without lifting head....   2014-02-03 20:08:00 <Jason Tomlins>
Have a read watch the vids

Use nylon rope.

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367794

Re: Changing valve springs without lifting head....   2014-02-04 12:14:00 <Tom Hill>
I just used a good sized socket on an extension with a mallet to take them
out, and used an actual keeper removal tool to press them back in.
looked something like this:
http://www.powersportrider.co.za/prodimages/engine%20tools%20valve%20spring%20collet%20remove.jpg

Having a strong magnet is also super handy to pull out your buckets as well
as catch your keepers.