JZA70 Torsen Diff Recon   2014-02-10 12:18:00 <Marc Archbold>
Hi All,
Hoping to have my G299 4.1 Torsen overhauled with new bearings, however
wondering what the service specification are for preload, ring gear
backlash. I dont want to rely on shop guestimates, would it be possible
that they could make an educated guess?

Without the JZA70 specs, would the MK3 TSRM for standard diff be acceptable
given the carrier is probably the same? The MK4 is a T2 Torsen, wonder if
this is close enough?

Cheers,
Marc

RE: JZA70 Torsen Diff Recon   2014-02-10 12:25:00 <blu_meanie>
Yea follow the specifications in the TSRM, regardless wether torsen, open or mechanical lsd
....but also in saying thay, any good diff shop should know how to set it up correctly

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

-------- Original message --------
From: Marc Archbold <marc.archbold@gmail.com>
Subject: [sconz] JZA70 Torsen Diff Recon

Hi All,
Hoping to have my G299 4.1 Torsen overhauled with new bearings, however wondering what the service specification are for preload, ring gear backlash.  I dont want to rely on shop guestimates, would it be possible that they could make an educated guess?

Without the JZA70 specs, would the MK3 TSRM for standard diff be acceptable given the carrier is probably the same?  The MK4 is a T2 Torsen, wonder if this is close enough?

Cheers,
Marc

Re: JZA70 Torsen Diff Recon   2014-02-10 17:09:00 <Suzy W>
I have the jz manual here Marc, I can get to work translating the diff
section if you like.

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 12:25 PM, blu_meanie <blu_meanie@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Yea follow the specifications in the TSRM, regardless wether torsen, open
> or mechanical lsd
> ....but also in saying thay, any good diff shop should know how to set it
> up correctly
>
> From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

Re: JZA70 Torsen Diff Recon   2014-02-10 22:08:00 <Marc Archbold>
Oh you legend! Suze that's very much appreciated.

Any chance I can get the untranslated in advance for a browse?

Cheers,
Marc

On 10 Feb 2014 17:09, "Suzy W" <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the jz manual here Marc, I can get to work translating the diff
section if you like.

Re: JZA70 Torsen Diff Recon   2014-02-10 23:39:00 <Suzy W>
yup no worries i'll scan in the pages tonight, the manual i have is ga70
and jza70, fairly sure 2nd one is for the torsen, i'll pdf it up and mail
it to ya

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:08 PM, Marc Archbold <marc.archbold@gmail.com>wrote:

> Oh you legend! Suze that's very much appreciated.
>
> Any chance I can get the untranslated in advance for a browse?
>
> Cheers,
> Marc
>
> On 10 Feb 2014 17:09, "Suzy W" <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have the jz manual here Marc, I can get to work translating the diff
> section if you like.

Re: JZA70 Torsen Diff Recon   2014-02-11 03:21:00 <Suzy W>
Here's the differential section untranslated

It will take me a bit to translate it all :p
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3KXIM0UzkUmQ2lWR3Y1blhHZGM/edit?usp=sharing

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:39 PM, Suzy W <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:

> yup no worries i'll scan in the pages tonight, the manual i have is ga70
> and jza70, fairly sure 2nd one is for the torsen, i'll pdf it up and mail
> it to ya
>

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:08 PM, Marc Archbold <marc.archbold@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Oh you legend! Suze that's very much appreciated.
>>
>> Any chance I can get the untranslated in advance for a browse?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Marc
>>
>> On 10 Feb 2014 17:09, "Suzy W" <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I have the jz manual here Marc, I can get to work translating the diff
>> section if you like.

> 7M POWAH! ;)
> www.supra.co.nz

Re: JZA70 Torsen Diff Recon   2014-02-13 22:03:00 <Marc Archbold>
Hey that's great of you Suze, many thanks!

Have compared against the MA70 TSRM and apart from a couple of sequence
differences, can confirm that specs are the same as the MA70 TSRM 8".

Now on to servicing.

Cheers!

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 3:20 AM, Suzy W <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's the differential section untranslated
>
> It will take me a bit to translate it all :p

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3KXIM0UzkUmQ2lWR3Y1blhHZGM/edit?usp=sharing

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:39 PM, Suzy W <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> yup no worries i'll scan in the pages tonight, the manual i have is ga70
and jza70, fairly sure 2nd one is for the torsen, i'll pdf it up and mail
it to ya

>> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:08 PM, Marc Archbold <marc.archbold@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Oh you legend! Suze that's very much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Any chance I can get the untranslated in advance for a browse?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Marc

Re: JZA70 Torsen Diff Recon   2014-02-14 00:15:00 <Suzy W>
Ahh so translating not required then :) All good, it's a long term project
anyway as the tsrm for the jza70 is very large and is in 2 parts lol. Just
doing the electrical wiring diagrams for the short term xD

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 9:00 PM, Marc Archbold <marc.archbold@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey that's great of you Suze, many thanks!
>
> Have compared against the MA70 TSRM and apart from a couple of sequence
> differences, can confirm that specs are the same as the MA70 TSRM 8".
>
> Now on to servicing.
>
> Cheers!
>
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 3:20 AM, Suzy W <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Here's the differential section untranslated
> >
> > It will take me a bit to translate it all :p
> >
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3KXIM0UzkUmQ2lWR3Y1blhHZGM/edit?usp=sharing
> >

> > On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:39 PM, Suzy W <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> yup no worries i'll scan in the pages tonight, the manual i have is
> ga70 and jza70, fairly sure 2nd one is for the torsen, i'll pdf it up and
> mail it to ya

> diff section if you like.

Re: JZA70 Torsen Diff Recon   2014-02-25 18:47:00 <Suzy W>
dammit dammit dammit

Marc did you do your diff yet?

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 12:14 AM, Suzy W <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ahh so translating not required then :) All good, it's a long term project
> anyway as the tsrm for the jza70 is very large and is in 2 parts lol. Just
> doing the electrical wiring diagrams for the short term xD
>

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 9:00 PM, Marc Archbold <marc.archbold@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hey that's great of you Suze, many thanks!
>>
>> Have compared against the MA70 TSRM and apart from a couple of sequence
>> differences, can confirm that specs are the same as the MA70 TSRM 8".
>>
>> Now on to servicing.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 3:20 AM, Suzy W <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Here's the differential section untranslated
>> >
>> > It will take me a bit to translate it all :p
>> >
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3KXIM0UzkUmQ2lWR3Y1blhHZGM/edit?usp=sharing

>> ga70 and jza70, fairly sure 2nd one is for the torsen, i'll pdf it up and
>> mail it to ya

>> diff section if you like.

> 7M POWAH! ;)
> www.supra.co.nz

Re: JZA70 Torsen Diff Recon   2014-02-25 19:16:00 <Suzy W>
I seriously don't even know how I scanned in the ga70/ma70 diff

Here is the TORSEN Diff images
I only realised today when I went to read the digital wiring diagrams and
it dawned on me they were yellow plug which of course meant that the diff
diagrams were not of the torsen, how I didn't notice the diff images
weren't a torsen either I don't know, I need a slap in the face heh.

I'm sorry if this caused you any inconvenience Marc, I'm only praying you
haven't done the diff yet. Again really sorry, the link now given is for
the jza70 diff.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3KXIM0UzkUmWU9OUzlremNwejg/edit?usp=sharing

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Suzy W <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:

> dammit dammit dammit
>
> Marc did you do your diff yet?
>

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 12:14 AM, Suzy W <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ahh so translating not required then :) All good, it's a long term
>> project anyway as the tsrm for the jza70 is very large and is in 2 parts
>> lol. Just doing the electrical wiring diagrams for the short term xD
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 9:00 PM, Marc Archbold <marc.archbold@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hey that's great of you Suze, many thanks!
>>>
>>> Have compared against the MA70 TSRM and apart from a couple of sequence
>>> differences, can confirm that specs are the same as the MA70 TSRM 8".
>>>
>>> Now on to servicing.
>>>
>>> Cheers!

>>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3KXIM0UzkUmQ2lWR3Y1blhHZGM/edit?usp=sharing

>>> ga70 and jza70, fairly sure 2nd one is for the torsen, i'll pdf it up and
>>> mail it to ya

>>> diff section if you like.
>>> >>> >

>>> ---
>>> Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/
>>>

>> --
>> Cheers
>>
>> Suze
>> 7M POWAH! ;)
>> www.supra.co.nz

> 7M POWAH! ;)
> www.supra.co.nz

Re: JZA70 Torsen Diff Recon   2014-02-25 19:26:00 <Marc Archbold>
Hi Suzy,
Not yet. Although it appears Hunt may have .

I neee to remove it and temporarily fit the 3.9 Torsen I have and take a
look. From net research, bearings are the culprit but need to dismantle to
be sure.

Cheers,
Marc

On 25 Feb 2014 18:47, "Suzy W" <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:

> dammit dammit dammit
>
> Marc did you do your diff yet?
>

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 12:14 AM, Suzy W <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ahh so translating not required then :) All good, it's a long term
project anyway as the tsrm for the jza70 is very large and is in 2 parts
lol. Just doing the electrical wiring diagrams for the short term xD

>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 9:00 PM, Marc Archbold <marc.archbold@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Hey that's great of you Suze, many thanks!
>>>
>>> Have compared against the MA70 TSRM and apart from a couple of sequence
differences, can confirm that specs are the same as the MA70 TSRM 8".

>>> Now on to servicing.
>>>
>>> Cheers!

Re: JZA70 Torsen Diff Recon   2014-02-25 19:29:00 <Hunt M>
I haven't done mine yet. I've taken it apart and have all 4 bearings. But
need to grind the old rear pinion bearing off as I can't find a puller that
fits. Possibly the same for the 2 side ones dammit.....

On 25 February 2014 19:25, Marc Archbold <marc.archbold@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Suzy,
> Not yet. Although it appears Hunt may have .
>
> I neee to remove it and temporarily fit the 3.9 Torsen I have and take a
> look. From net research, bearings are the culprit but need to dismantle to
> be sure.
>
> Cheers,
> Marc
>
> On 25 Feb 2014 18:47, "Suzy W" <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > dammit dammit dammit
> >
> > Marc did you do your diff yet?
> >

> > On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 12:14 AM, Suzy W <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Ahh so translating not required then :) All good, it's a long term
> project anyway as the tsrm for the jza70 is very large and is in 2 parts
> lol. Just doing the electrical wiring diagrams for the short term xD

> sequence differences, can confirm that specs are the same as the MA70 TSRM
> 8".

Re: JZA70 Torsen Diff Recon   2014-02-25 19:52:00 <Suzy W>
*phew*!! Sheesh that had me worried.

I've removed the other one as there are plenty of english tsrm's around for
the ma70 diff so you won't get them confused/read the incorrect one again.
:)

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 7:28 PM, Hunt M <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't done mine yet. I've taken it apart and have all 4 bearings. But
> need to grind the old rear pinion bearing off as I can't find a puller that
> fits. Possibly the same for the 2 side ones dammit.....
>

> On 25 February 2014 19:25, Marc Archbold <marc.archbold@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Suzy,
>> Not yet. Although it appears Hunt may have .
>>
>> I neee to remove it and temporarily fit the 3.9 Torsen I have and take a
>> look. From net research, bearings are the culprit but need to dismantle to
>> be sure.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Marc
>>
>> On 25 Feb 2014 18:47, "Suzy W" <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > dammit dammit dammit
>> >
>> > Marc did you do your diff yet?

>> project anyway as the tsrm for the jza70 is very large and is in 2 parts
>> lol. Just doing the electrical wiring diagrams for the short term xD

>> sequence differences, can confirm that specs are the same as the MA70 TSRM
>> 8".

Re: JZA70 Torsen Diff Recon   2014-02-25 19:54:00 <Marc Archbold>
Hi Hunt,
Its all questions :)

Is your diff a g299/319 torsen?
What did you diagnose as the problem? What is the condition of your ring
and pinion? Was their any backlash or preload issues?

Regards,
Marc

On 25 Feb 2014 19:29, "Hunt M" <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't done mine yet. I've taken it apart and have all 4 bearings. But
need to grind the old rear pinion bearing off as I can't find a puller that
fits. Possibly the same for the 2 side ones dammit.....

> On 25 February 2014 19:25, Marc Archbold <marc.archbold@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Suzy,
>> Not yet. Although it appears Hunt may have .
>>
>> I neee to remove it and temporarily fit the 3.9 Torsen I have and take a
look. From net research, bearings are the culprit but need to dismantle to
be sure.

>> Cheers,
>> Marc
>>
>> On 25 Feb 2014 18:47, "Suzy W" <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > dammit dammit dammit
>> >
>> > Marc did you do your diff yet?

project anyway as the tsrm for the jza70 is very large and is in 2 parts
lol. Just doing the electrical wiring diagrams for the short term xD

sequence differences, can confirm that specs are the same as the MA70 TSRM
8".

Re: JZA70 Torsen Diff Recon   2014-02-25 20:03:00 <Hunt M>
Hey

I'm not sure what my torsen is. It's a 4.1:1 if that helps....Was from
Llew's JZA70.
The problem appeared to be the crush spacer was over crushed (possibly it
was a re-used one or rebuilt by someone and not properly set up with
correct bearing preload). The symptoms were that it was almost impossible
to start turning the input flange by hand. Once it was turning it wasn't
hard to keep it turning - but there was an awful bearing grinding feel to
it.

The ring and pinion looked fine and contact between the two on the teeth
looks good. I can't remember what the backlash was. We did measure it but I
didn't write it down - oops. I recall it being within spec though.

The noise on the road was a grinding at low speed that would appear to go
away over about 20kmph and then return to be very noticeable at about
80-120kmph.