Beam style torque wrench to borrow?   2014-03-04 14:47:00 <Hunt M>
Hi all

I'm in need of a beam style torque wrench to borrow so I can get the
bearing pre-load set up correctly on my supra's diff.

Does anyone in Auckland have one that I can borrow for a few days? I'd like
to get the diff in the supra so I can take it to the supra day out on sat!

Re: Beam style torque wrench to borrow?   2014-03-04 21:31:00 <Hunt M>
Come on - someone must have a beam style torque wrench that can measure
1-1.6nm!!!.....

On 4 March 2014 14:47, Hunt M <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm in need of a beam style torque wrench to borrow so I can get the
> bearing pre-load set up correctly on my supra's diff.
>
> Does anyone in Auckland have one that I can borrow for a few days? I'd
> like to get the diff in the supra so I can take it to the supra day out on
> sat!

Re: Beam style torque wrench to borrow?   2014-03-05 19:38:00 <Jonathan Walker>
Did anyone manage to dig one out?

I'll ask the HMS guys in the workshop tomorrow. They pull apart crown reach trucks, 5 tonne diesel hoists, and other fantastically complicated stuff, they're bound to have one but I might have to offer them a kick back ;)
Come on - someone must have a beam style torque wrench that can measure 1-1.6nm!!!.....

I'm in need of a beam style torque wrench to borrow so I can get the bearing pre-load set up correctly on my supra's diff.

Does anyone in Auckland have one that I can borrow for a few days? I'd like to get the diff in the supra so I can take it to the supra day out on sat!

Re: Beam style torque wrench to borrow?   2014-03-05 19:42:00 <Hunt M>
If you could ask that would be great. I thought I'd found one but that fell
through.
On 5/03/2014 7:38 PM, "Jonathan Walker" <jonolith@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> Did anyone manage to dig one out?
>
> I'll ask the HMS guys in the workshop tomorrow. They pull apart crown
> reach trucks, 5 tonne diesel hoists, and other fantastically complicated
> stuff, they're bound to have one but I might have to offer them a kick back
> ;)

Re: Beam style torque wrench to borrow?   2014-03-06 09:01:00 <blu_meanie>
I found a dial type much easier to use, it had a memory pointer so I knew not to over torque, but in saying that, this was for setting up the pinion with a WP solid spacer, very minimal give when using that type of crush sleeve

I'll ask the HMS guys in the workshop tomorrow. They pull apart crown reach trucks, 5 tonne diesel hoists, and other fantastically complicated stuff, they're bound to have one but I might have to offer them a kick back ;)
Come on - someone must have a beam style torque wrench that can measure 1-1.6nm!!!.....

I'm in need of a beam style torque wrench to borrow so I can get the bearing pre-load set up correctly on my supra's diff.

Does anyone in Auckland have one that I can borrow for a few days? I'd like to get the diff in the supra so I can take it to the supra day out on sat!

No virus found in this message.

Re: Beam style torque wrench to borrow?   2014-03-06 09:07:00 <Hunt M>
Well either or would've worked. I made my own starting torque measuring
stick with a thin piece of plastic pipe, a specific amount of weight in a
plastic bag and moved the bag up and down the pipe (which was bolted to the
input flange) until it moved. Took a couple of goes but managed to get it
to have a break away torque of (0.135kg/m or 1.32nm).

The WP solid spacer isn't a crush sleeve. Did you use a solid pinion spacer
or a crush sleeve? Both a very different....

On 6 March 2014 09:00, blu_meanie <blu_meanie@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I found a dial type much easier to use, it had a memory pointer so I knew
> not to over torque, but in saying that, this was for setting up the pinion
> with a WP solid spacer, very minimal give when using that type of crush
> sleeve
>

> From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

Re: Beam style torque wrench to borrow?   2014-03-06 09:31:00 <blu_meanie>
Clever physics there.....yea its a solid spacer, not a factory crush sleeve, my bad on the terminology, and yea very different from one another

[...]

Re: Beam style torque wrench to borrow?   2014-03-06 20:03:00 <Jonathan Walker>
Even the hms shop doesnt have one. I asked what they do and they "do it by feel" which i thought was a bit odd, but their work is entirely industrial so it stands to reason. We rarely have equipment failures after rebuilds. Sorry i couldn't be more help.

Sent from my iPhone