Smokey at idle   2014-03-10 11:15:00 <Hunt M>
Hi all

What's a common cause of, blue smoke at idle, only when hot. Doesn't do it
on initial cold start, or at all until the engine is up to temp.

Puff of blue smoke as I come onto full boost and then it seems to
disappear, although it could still be there any i just cant see it once I'm
moving at speed...

Spark plugs look normal and don't appear to have any oil contamination.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB9eNMEpP1I

RE: Smokey at idle   2014-03-10 11:23:00 <blu_meanie>

Failing turbo seal on the hotside maybe?   I have a similar issue with my 7m, but I suspect a failing valve guide seal, as it smokes under heavy decel and initial boost, but never cold start-up

What's a common cause of, blue smoke at idle, only when hot. Doesn't do it on initial cold start, or at all until the engine is up to temp.

Puff of blue smoke as I come onto full boost and then it seems to disappear, although it could still be there any i just cant see it once I'm moving at speed...

Spark plugs look normal and don't appear to have any oil contamination.

Here's a video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB9eNMEpP1I

Re: Smokey at idle   2014-03-10 11:25:00 <Hunt M>
Well the only thing I've done is change the valve springs and put it on the
dyno. Perhaps I damaged one of the valve stem seals when I was changing the
springs, or perhaps the turbine seal let go on the dyno, or maybe both haha.

I thought it was rings initially - but then I thought it was odd that there
was no smoke at all when it's cold....

On 10 March 2014 11:22, blu_meanie <blu_meanie@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Failing turbo seal on the hotside maybe? I have a similar issue with my
> 7m, but I suspect a failing valve guide seal, as it smokes under heavy
> decel and initial boost, but never cold start-up
>
> From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

Re: Smokey at idle   2014-03-10 11:29:00 <blu_meanie>
Yea may have nudged a seal maybe.....do you get much out the back after a heavy sustained engine braking?

[...]

RE: Smokey at idle   2014-03-10 11:31:00 <Cully Paterson>
One way you can diagnose if it's valve stems seals is to pipe your PCV out the side of the bonnet using a long hose and go for a drive. You'll get smoke coming from it if so.

Cully

[...]

Re: Smokey at idle   2014-03-10 11:32:00 <Hunt M>
I don't think so. I tried some engine braking and then accelerating away at
the bottom of a hill but didn't notice anything. Might go for a drive
tonight and see if I can get some more info on the problem.

On 10 March 2014 11:28, blu_meanie <blu_meanie@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Yea may have nudged a seal maybe.....do you get much out the back after a
> heavy sustained engine braking?
>

> From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

Re: Smokey at idle   2014-03-10 11:42:00 <Hunt M>
Will the smoke from the PCV be white or blue?

The engine does breath a little - I have 2 lines coming off the cam covers
into a breather box that is vented to atmosphere. There is a very small
amount of smoke that comes out of that - not a lot....it's always been like
that though....

How much is acceptable? It's no-where near as bad as this, which was when I
had a broken ring land: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDyDwufc1xc

On 10 March 2014 11:30, Cully Paterson <Cully@supras.org.nz> wrote:

> One way you can diagnose if it's valve stems seals is to pipe your PCV
> out the side of the bonnet using a long hose and go for a drive. You'll
> get smoke coming from it if so.
>

> Cully

RE: Smokey at idle   2014-03-10 11:59:00 <blu_meanie>
Wouldnt smoke from the pcv just  indicate bad ring blowby?   Just mulling ideas for my own benefit also haha

[...]

Re: Smokey at idle   2014-03-10 12:06:00 <Hunt M>
That's what I would've though.

On 10 March 2014 11:58, blu_meanie <blu_meanie@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Wouldnt smoke from the pcv just indicate bad ring blowby? Just mulling
> ideas for my own benefit also haha
>

> From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

Re: Smokey at idle   2014-03-10 12:20:00 <Suzy W>
I get oil burn on decel and thats it, none any other time, cold start,
idling accelerating, figured it was the turbo and gonna get it pressure
tested in the near future.

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Hunt M <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's what I would've though.
>

> On 10 March 2014 11:58, blu_meanie <blu_meanie@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Wouldnt smoke from the pcv just indicate bad ring blowby? Just mulling
>> ideas for my own benefit also haha
>>

>> From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

RE: Smokey at idle   2014-03-10 12:26:00 <Cully Paterson>
A badly broken valve stem seal will vent out of the PCV quite visibly. I used this technique years ago on an RB25 whose owner had bought my old T04E and wasn't convinced of where the smoke was coming from. Yes, you'll get some blowby gas, but unless your engine is poked a dead stem seal will be fairly obvious.

It also removes turbine end o-ring failure from the equation. If it's turbine end then it won't vent out the PCV ;-). If it's compressor end you'll see oil residue in the intake.

[...]

Re: Smokey at idle   2014-03-10 12:34:00 <Hunt M>
Thanks for that.

What colour smoke from the PCV should be expected from a bad valve stem
seal?

I will take the intake pipe off to check for oil residue. Should probably
check the pipe between turbo and intercooler too? Although with the plugs
not looking like they're burning any oil, I'm a unsure if this would be the
fault....

If the turbine end o-ring has failed, I assume I would see a noticeable
amount of oil or gunk in the downpipe?

Hunt

On 10 March 2014 12:26, Cully Paterson <Cully@supras.org.nz> wrote:

> A badly broken valve stem seal will vent out of the PCV quite visibly.
> I used this technique years ago on an RB25 whose owner had bought my old
> T04E and wasn't convinced of where the smoke was coming from. Yes, you'll
> get some blowby gas, but unless your engine is poked a dead stem seal will
> be fairly obvious.
>

> It also removes turbine end o-ring failure from the equation. If it's
> turbine end then it won't vent out the PCV ;-). If it's compressor end
> you'll see oil residue in the intake.

RE: Smokey at idle   2014-03-10 12:41:00 <Cully Paterson>
Blue smoke.

Judging by the amount of smoke I wouldn't expect to see much residue in the downpipe - it'll be burnt off before it gets a chance to pool. You might get a bit if you start it from cold and shut it down again before the exhaust gets a chance to heat up much.

How's your turbo oil drain? Properly vertical and free flowing?

[...]

Re: Smokey at idle   2014-03-10 12:48:00 <Tom Hill>
Just replaced all my stem seals and PCV valve. The stem seals were poked
and I would get a nice puff of blue on start if i left it for greater than
an hour or so. Plugs would get coated in crap from burnt oil too, which is
now also resolved. Would smoke a little on boost too. But was hard too see
through the rich mixture smoke, so it wasn't much.

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Hunt M <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for that.
>
> What colour smoke from the PCV should be expected from a bad valve stem
> seal?
>
> I will take the intake pipe off to check for oil residue. Should probably
> check the pipe between turbo and intercooler too? Although with the plugs
> not looking like they're burning any oil, I'm a unsure if this would be the
> fault....
>
> If the turbine end o-ring has failed, I assume I would see a noticeable
> amount of oil or gunk in the downpipe?
>
> Hunt
>

> On 10 March 2014 12:26, Cully Paterson <Cully@supras.org.nz> wrote:
>
>> A badly broken valve stem seal will vent out of the PCV quite visibly.
>> I used this technique years ago on an RB25 whose owner had bought my old
>> T04E and wasn't convinced of where the smoke was coming from. Yes, you'll
>> get some blowby gas, but unless your engine is poked a dead stem seal will
>> be fairly obvious.
>>

>> It also removes turbine end o-ring failure from the equation. If it's
>> turbine end then it won't vent out the PCV ;-). If it's compressor end
>> you'll see oil residue in the intake.

Re: Smokey at idle   2014-03-10 13:00:00 <Hunt M>
Hmmm - it's quite a mission to take my downpipe off, so that'll be a
troubleshooting step I'll leave till later haha.

Yeah oil drain from turbo is pretty free flowing. Mostly vertical with a
gradual bend as it leads into the sump. I'll take a picture tonight of it.

On 10 March 2014 12:40, Cully Paterson <Cully@supras.org.nz> wrote:

> Blue smoke.
>

> Judging by the amount of smoke I wouldn't expect to see much residue in
> the downpipe - it'll be burnt off before it gets a chance to pool. You
> might get a bit if you start it from cold and shut it down again before the
> exhaust gets a chance to heat up much.
>

> How's your turbo oil drain? Properly vertical and free flowing?

Re: Smokey at idle   2014-03-11 20:02:00 <Hunt M>
So checking the pvc when driving doesn't seem to be any smoke. There is a
tiny amount but it's VERY small. Almost unnoticeable.

Also if the stem seals are leaking, that would mean oil entering the
combustion chamber?
And that would be visible on the plugs?
On 10/03/2014 1:00 PM, "Hunt M" <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmmm - it's quite a mission to take my downpipe off, so that'll be a
> troubleshooting step I'll leave till later haha.
>
> Yeah oil drain from turbo is pretty free flowing. Mostly vertical with a
> gradual bend as it leads into the sump. I'll take a picture tonight of it.
>

> On 10 March 2014 12:40, Cully Paterson <Cully@supras.org.nz> wrote:
>
>> Blue smoke.
>>

>> Judging by the amount of smoke I wouldn't expect to see much residue in
>> the downpipe - it'll be burnt off before it gets a chance to pool. You
>> might get a bit if you start it from cold and shut it down again before the
>> exhaust gets a chance to heat up much.
>>

>> How's your turbo oil drain? Properly vertical and free flowing?

Re: Smokey at idle   2014-03-11 20:15:00 <Hunt M>
My crank case breather system isn't ideal. Instead of a line out of the
breather box going to the intake, I have an air filter on the box.

The air filter was very dirty so I'm guessing it was blocked and caused a
decent amount of positive pressure in the crankcase.

If this is the case, would this have caused oil to pass by the turbine
o-ring? And if so, would this damage the o-ring permanently or once I've
fixed the pcv set up, should the oil that's been forced into the downpipe
eventually burn off?
On 11/03/2014 8:02 PM, "Hunt M" <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:

> So checking the pvc when driving doesn't seem to be any smoke. There is a
> tiny amount but it's VERY small. Almost unnoticeable.
>
> Also if the stem seals are leaking, that would mean oil entering the
> combustion chamber?
> And that would be visible on the plugs?
> On 10/03/2014 1:00 PM, "Hunt M" <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hmmm - it's quite a mission to take my downpipe off, so that'll be a
>> troubleshooting step I'll leave till later haha.
>>
>> Yeah oil drain from turbo is pretty free flowing. Mostly vertical with a
>> gradual bend as it leads into the sump. I'll take a picture tonight of it.
>>

>> On 10 March 2014 12:40, Cully Paterson <Cully@supras.org.nz> wrote:
>>
>>> Blue smoke.
>>>

>>> Judging by the amount of smoke I wouldn't expect to see much residue in
>>> the downpipe - it'll be burnt off before it gets a chance to pool. You
>>> might get a bit if you start it from cold and shut it down again before the
>>> exhaust gets a chance to heat up much.
>>>

>>> How's your turbo oil drain? Properly vertical and free flowing?

Re: Smokey at idle   2014-03-11 20:22:00 <Hunt M>
There is no oil in the intake pipes.
On 11/03/2014 8:15 PM, "Hunt M" <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:

> My crank case breather system isn't ideal. Instead of a line out of the
> breather box going to the intake, I have an air filter on the box.
>
> The air filter was very dirty so I'm guessing it was blocked and caused a
> decent amount of positive pressure in the crankcase.
>
> If this is the case, would this have caused oil to pass by the turbine
> o-ring? And if so, would this damage the o-ring permanently or once I've
> fixed the pcv set up, should the oil that's been forced into the downpipe
> eventually burn off?
> On 11/03/2014 8:02 PM, "Hunt M" <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So checking the pvc when driving doesn't seem to be any smoke. There is a
>> tiny amount but it's VERY small. Almost unnoticeable.
>>
>> Also if the stem seals are leaking, that would mean oil entering the
>> combustion chamber?
>> And that would be visible on the plugs?
>> On 10/03/2014 1:00 PM, "Hunt M" <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hmmm - it's quite a mission to take my downpipe off, so that'll be a
>>> troubleshooting step I'll leave till later haha.
>>>
>>> Yeah oil drain from turbo is pretty free flowing. Mostly vertical with a
>>> gradual bend as it leads into the sump. I'll take a picture tonight of it.

Re: Smokey at idle   2014-03-12 21:01:00 <Hunt M>
Ok so went for another short drive this evening (only a couple of km's once
the engine was idled up to temp) taking note of the smoke coming out of the
breather box. There is some, but I don't think it's enough to be worried
about. I did boost it a little and there wasn't much out the exhaust when
the boost came on. There was some but not as much as the other day.

The smoke out the exhaust at idle has almost cleared up too. Not totally
gone but it's definitely a lot less.

I wonder if the blocked filter on my breather tank caused pressure in the
crankcase and caused oil to leak past the turbing o-rings and it's just
going to take some time to burn it off. Not sure if that's a thing?

On 11 March 2014 20:21, Hunt M <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is no oil in the intake pipes.
> On 11/03/2014 8:15 PM, "Hunt M" <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My crank case breather system isn't ideal. Instead of a line out of the
>> breather box going to the intake, I have an air filter on the box.
>>
>> The air filter was very dirty so I'm guessing it was blocked and caused a
>> decent amount of positive pressure in the crankcase.
>>
>> If this is the case, would this have caused oil to pass by the turbine
>> o-ring? And if so, would this damage the o-ring permanently or once I've
>> fixed the pcv set up, should the oil that's been forced into the downpipe
>> eventually burn off?
>> On 11/03/2014 8:02 PM, "Hunt M" <huntatwork@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So checking the pvc when driving doesn't seem to be any smoke. There is
>>> a tiny amount but it's VERY small. Almost unnoticeable.
>>>
>>> Also if the stem seals are leaking, that would mean oil entering the
>>> combustion chamber?
>>> And that would be visible on the plugs?

Re: Smokey at idle   2014-03-12 22:00:00 <Jonathan Walker>
Every turbo I've ever owned has leaked out the compressor just a smidge more than slightly ;) although on the 300zx only the right hand unit ever seems to blow snot. Same with every other VG30 I've come across too. Hmm reminds me of the young asian gentleman who tried to sell me his low KM manual z32, went for a good ole boost, got it back to his place, popped the bonnet again for a brief inspection, closed it to see the james bond style cloud bulding behind the car as the oil pump emptied the sump into the turbine. He blamed it on "the mechanic put in a too much oil" haha good one. Only from the right hand exhaust... My franken-ct26 blows a bit of oil from the compressor but I don't get visible smoke at all and the actual amount of oil escaping never seems to increase. Gonna be spectacular when it does let go.
A badly broken valve stem seal will vent out of the PCV quite visibly. I used this technique years ago on an RB25 whose owner had bought my old T04E and wasn't convinced of where the smoke was coming from. Yes, you'll get some blowby gas, but unless your engine is poked a dead stem seal will be fairly obvious.

It also removes turbine end o-ring failure from the equation. If it's turbine end then it won't vent out the PCV ;-). If it's compressor end you'll see oil residue in the intake.

Wouldnt smoke from the pcv just indicate bad ring blowby? Just mulling ideas for my own benefit also haha

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

[...]

Re: Smokey at idle   2014-03-12 22:07:00 <Jonathan Walker>
Blocked crank ventilation when severe manifests itself in the rather un-obvious form of the dipstick refusing the say put ;) took me a week to figure that out on my zx. It also causes oil to bypass justabout everything designed to keep it out of places if it's particularly choked. If it was just really poor ventilation pushing oil past everything your smoke should clear up with some good boosting. A week of driving with fresh oil was required to get all the smoke out of the z's pipes. Never a problem since.

Real coincidental that you were working on the valve train immediately prior though.

Wouldnt smoke from the pcv just indicate bad ring blowby? Just mulling ideas for my own benefit also haha

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

[...]

Re: Smokey at idle   2014-03-12 22:08:00 <Hunt M>
There's no oil in the intake or intercooler piping so don't think it's the
compressor side. I haven't got time this week to take the downpipe and
exhaust off. Will try to next week.

Hope it lasts for a weekend trip to Meremere :)
On 12/03/2014 10:00 PM, "Jonathan Walker" <jonolith@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> Every turbo I've ever owned has leaked out the compressor just a smidge
> more than slightly ;) although on the 300zx only the right hand unit ever
> seems to blow snot. Same with every other VG30 I've come across too. Hmm
> reminds me of the young asian gentleman who tried to sell me his low KM
> manual z32, went for a good ole boost, got it back to his place, popped the
> bonnet again for a brief inspection, closed it to see the james bond style
> cloud bulding behind the car as the oil pump emptied the sump into the
> turbine. He blamed it on "the mechanic put in a too much oil" haha good
> one. Only from the right hand exhaust... My franken-ct26 blows a bit of oil
> from the compressor but I don't get visible smoke at all and the actual
> amount of oil escaping never seems to increase. Gonna be spectacular when
> it does let go.

Re: Smokey at idle   2014-03-12 22:16:00 <Jonathan Walker>
Damn you dry oil-less intake mother f*****s hahaha. Just like my bleating s14 owning flatmate. Pfff you blow what hard with those four little SR pots? Hahahaha.
[...]

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

[...]

Re: Smokey at idle   2014-03-12 22:19:00 <Hunt M>
Haha

True. Although the coincidence could be the fact that it was on the
dyno....?

My dipstick is a rather tight fit so it would take a heck of a lot to blow
it out!