Multimeter, which to buy?   2014-03-11 17:39:00 <Suzy W>
Not quite supra related but it will be getting used on the supra :p

I'm after a multimeter to replace my faulty one. I need to be able to
measure capacitors and led's. Most meters i've used seem to do rectifying
diodes but not leds :/ and my old old meter the farad section appears to
just be broken, doesn't read a thing.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Re: Multimeter, which to buy?   2014-03-11 17:41:00 <aj hunter>
Check that you haven't just blown the internal fuse before you junk the meter.

AJ Hunter
Graphic Designer

027 201 9738

Not quite supra related but it will be getting used on the supra :p

I'm after a multimeter to replace my faulty one. I need to be able to measure capacitors and led's. Most meters i've used seem to do rectifying diodes but not leds :/ and my old old meter the farad section appears to just be broken, doesn't read a thing.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Re: Multimeter, which to buy?   2014-03-11 17:54:00 <Suzy W>
same fuse that does amps right? Pretty sure there's only one in there and
it's fine, it just doesn't read anything :/

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 5:41 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Check that you haven't just blown the internal fuse before you junk the
> meter.
>
> AJ Hunter
> Graphic Designer
>

> 027 201 9738
> [image: http://www.enzedpcs.co.nz/home/images/signature.png]
>

> On Tuesday, 11 March 2014 5:38 PM, Suzy W <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not quite supra related but it will be getting used on the supra :p
>
> I'm after a multimeter to replace my faulty one. I need to be able to
> measure capacitors and led's. Most meters i've used seem to do rectifying
> diodes but not leds :/ and my old old meter the farad section appears to
> just be broken, doesn't read a thing.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations?

> 7M POWAH! ;)
> www.supra.co.nz

Re: Multimeter, which to buy?   2014-03-11 18:12:00 <aj hunter>
Yes usually the same fuse. I have seen one crap out due to rust on the fuse carrier, but that's rare.

If a meter is working on the ohms range and can read diodes, it can read LEDs as LEDs are also diodes.

I'd buy this if I needed a new meter.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/electrical-equipment/gauges-meters/auction-704266692.htm

AJ Hunter
Graphic Designer

027 201 9738

same fuse that does amps right? Pretty sure there's only one in there and it's fine, it just doesn't read anything :/

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 5:41 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:

Check that you haven't just blown the internal fuse before you junk the meter.

>AJ Hunter
>Graphic Designer
>

>027 201 9738
>

>On Tuesday, 11 March 2014 5:38 PM, Suzy W <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>Not quite supra related but it will be getting used on the supra :p
>

>I'm after a multimeter to replace my faulty one. I need to be able to measure capacitors and led's. Most meters i've used seem to do rectifying diodes but not leds :/ and my old old meter the farad section appears to just be broken, doesn't read a thing.
>

>Anyone have any recommendations?
>

>--
>Cheers
>
>Suze
>7M POWAH! ;)
>www.supra.co.nz

Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/ Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger http://www.turbo.co.nz

Re: Multimeter, which to buy?   2014-03-11 18:23:00 <Suzy W>
There's actually a number of multimeters that can't do leds, alot of others
in my class have the same problem even though they do rect diodes

I'll check the auction cheers :)

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 6:11 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yes usually the same fuse. I have seen one crap out due to rust on the
> fuse carrier, but that's rare.
>
> If a meter is working on the ohms range and can read diodes, it can read
> LEDs as LEDs are also diodes.
>
> I'd buy this if I needed a new meter.
>

> http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/electrical-equipment/gauges-meters/auction-704266692.htm
>
> AJ Hunter
> Graphic Designer
>

> 027 201 9738
> [image: http://www.enzedpcs.co.nz/home/images/signature.png]
>

> On Tuesday, 11 March 2014 5:53 PM, Suzy W <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:
> same fuse that does amps right? Pretty sure there's only one in there
> and it's fine, it just doesn't read anything :/
>

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 5:41 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Check that you haven't just blown the internal fuse before you junk the
> meter.
>
> AJ Hunter
> Graphic Designer
>

> 027 201 9738
> [image: http://www.enzedpcs.co.nz/home/images/signature.png]
>

> On Tuesday, 11 March 2014 5:38 PM, Suzy W <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not quite supra related but it will be getting used on the supra :p
>
> I'm after a multimeter to replace my faulty one. I need to be able to
> measure capacitors and led's. Most meters i've used seem to do rectifying
> diodes but not leds :/ and my old old meter the farad section appears to
> just be broken, doesn't read a thing.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations?

> 7M POWAH! ;)
> www.supra.co.nz

> 7M POWAH! ;)
> www.supra.co.nz

Re: Multimeter, which to buy?   2014-03-11 18:42:00 <aj hunter>
How about that,

Never had one that wouldn't do diodes. I learn something new every day.
Good luck.

 :)
AJ Hunter
Graphic Designer

027 201 9738

There's actually a number of multimeters that can't do leds, alot of others in my class have the same problem even though they do rect diodes

I'll check the auction cheers :)

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 6:11 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:

Yes usually the same fuse. I have seen one crap out due to rust on the fuse carrier, but that's rare.

>If a meter is working on the ohms range and can read diodes, it can read LEDs as LEDs are also diodes.
>
>I'd buy this if I needed a new meter.
>
>http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/electrical-equipment/gauges-meters/auction-704266692.htm
>

>AJ Hunter
>Graphic Designer
>

>027 201 9738
>

>On Tuesday, 11 March 2014 5:53 PM, Suzy W <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>same fuse that does amps right? Pretty sure there's only one in there and it's fine, it just doesn't read anything :/
>

>On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 5:41 PM, aj hunter <ajh_nz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>Check that you haven't just blown the internal fuse before you junk the meter.
>>

>>AJ Hunter
>>Graphic Designer
>>

>>027 201 9738
>>

>>On Tuesday, 11 March 2014 5:38 PM, Suzy W <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Not quite supra related but it will be getting used on the supra :p
>>

>>I'm after a multimeter to replace my faulty one. I need to be able to measure capacitors and led's. Most meters i've used seem to do rectifying diodes but not leds :/ and my old old meter the farad section appears to just be broken, doesn't read a thing.
>>

>>Anyone have any recommendations?
>>

>>--
>>Cheers
>>
>>Suze
>>7M POWAH! ;)
>>www.supra.co.nz
>>---
>>

>>---
Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/ Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger http://www.turbo.co.nz

>--
>Cheers
>
>Suze
>7M POWAH! ;)
>www.supra.co.nz

Supra Club of New Zealand - http://www.supras.org.nz/ Website sponsored by Alltech Diesel & Turbocharger http://www.turbo.co.nz

Re: Multimeter, which to buy?   2014-03-11 21:19:00 <Marc Archbold>
Select a 'Fluke' that meets your needs. Expect never having to replace it.

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Suzy W <suprra@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not quite supra related but it will be getting used on the supra :p
>
> I'm after a multimeter to replace my faulty one. I need to be able to
> measure capacitors and led's. Most meters i've used seem to do rectifying
> diodes but not leds :/ and my old old meter the farad section appears to
> just be broken, doesn't read a thing.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations?

> 7M POWAH! ;)
> www.supra.co.nz

RE: Multimeter, which to buy?   2014-03-11 22:32:00 <Josh Te Brake>

I have a second hand fluke from work and it is awesome. Its an older model but, mine also has a beep function for continuity, which is so handy when working on a car.
Just my 2 cents
Josh
Select a 'Fluke' that meets your needs. Expect never having to replace it.