Supra brake light sensor / Capacitors.   2014-03-15 16:34:00 <aj hunter>
Here's a pic of my one. After I read about these thing flaking, I took mine out, made sure there were no water leaks, dusted it and then sprayed it with waterproofer before reassembly just in case.
In my experience the orange ceramic disk caps are unlikely to fail, and very rarely do. Electrolytics (like the one marked with an arrow) can and do fail, and gradually lose capacitance as they age,  but catastrophic failure is unlikely for a low voltage circuit like the Supra. Going to the next voltage rating up will have no effect on the reliability of an electrolytic. Even going to the next capacitance value up will seldom cause problems in DC smoothing applications.
The only time it really matters is in high voltage stage of the switchmode
power supplies found in flat screen computer monitors.

AJ Hunter
Graphic Designer

027 201 9738

Re: Supra brake light sensor / Capacitors.   2014-03-16 15:47:00 <Jonathan Walker>
Looks pretty good. What condition was the trackwork in?

Agree and disagree with those points, as we often do haha.

Capacitance change of 100nF will upset my 10kVDC driver circuit ;) although this driver is not designed for conventional purposes!
[...]

Re: Supra brake light sensor / Capacitors.   2014-03-17 23:01:00 <aj hunter>
The track side was a bit dusty but that was it. A wipe down and it was as shiny as the day it was made.

"Capacitance change of 100nF will
upset my 10kVDC driver circuit ;) although this driver is not designed for
conventional purposes!"

...don't get it wet then. ;)

OK let me qualify what I said.
The only time capacitance really matters  in the kind of consumer electronic circuitry that SCONZ members would encounter in their daily lives would be in the high voltage stage of the switchmode power supplies found in flat screen
computer monitors.

Caps used for RC or LC frequency-dependent circuits that are very sensitive to drift would be beyond the scope of my generalisation. The usual use for caps that SCONZ members are likely to encounter is in non-critical power supply line decoupling applications.

cheers

AJ Hunter
Graphic Designer

027 201 9738

upset my 10kVDC driver circuit ;) although this driver is not designed for
conventional purposes!
>Here's a pic of my one. After I read about these thing flaking, I took mine out, made sure there were no water leaks, dusted it and then sprayed it with waterproofer before reassembly just in case.
>In my experience the orange ceramic disk caps are
unlikely to fail, and very rarely do. Electrolytics (like the one marked with
an arrow) can and do fail, and gradually lose capacitance as they age,
but catastrophic failure is unlikely for a low voltage circuit like the Supra.
Going to the next voltage rating up will have no effect on the reliability of
an electrolytic. Even going to the next capacitance value up will seldom cause
problems in DC smoothing applications.
>The only time it really matters is
in high voltage stage of the switchmode power supplies found in flat screen
computer monitors.

>AJ Hunter
>Graphic Designer
>

>027 201 9738

Database: 3722/7196 - Release Date: 03/14/14