1JZ clutch plate   2002-04-24 23:18:00 <TRIPLE M>
Hi All, I am looking for someone to supply me with a new clutch plate, or I
will get mine re-lined. If i can find the correct dimensions of one i may
be able to match something, I was wondering if the MK 4 is the same?
Toyota have a listing but no price or availability. Its just started to
give the odd slip in the last couple of months, so time to fix it before it
gets too bad!! the thing about the 1JZ is it is a pull clutch, so clamps
very well, but when it starts to go i imagine it doesn't have a lot left.

Can any one help?

regards
murray

RE: 1JZ clutch plate   2002-04-24 23:24:00 <Cully Paterson>
Hey Murray,
Same set-up as the 7M. Easiest thing to do is to ship the old plate and cover to AutoClutch and get them to rebuild it. My one has ended up with 3000lb clamping force, and a full-face kevlar plate. Can't wait to get it all back together and experience my car without the shudders of the paddle :)

Hi All, I am looking for someone to supply me with a new clutch plate, or I
will get mine re-lined. If i can find the correct dimensions of one i may
be able to match something, I was wondering if the MK 4 is the same?
Toyota have a listing but no price or availability. Its just started to
give the odd slip in the last couple of months, so time to fix it before it
gets too bad!! the thing about the 1JZ is it is a pull clutch, so clamps
very well, but when it starts to go i imagine it doesn't have a lot left.

Can any one help?

regards
murray

(winmail.dat)

RE: 1JZ clutch plate   2002-04-25 21:01:00 <Rob Moorhouse>
Cully,
can certainly vouch for the AutoClutch kevlar clutch set up-so smooth, even
with Hunt driving! and a hard launch Much better than standard. Clamping at
2800lb.
Any ideas on Hunts' brake problem's - he's roped me in to help him
tommorrow. Maybe a master cylinder kit? Thanks,

Rob M.
> Same set-up as the 7M. Easiest thing to do is to ship the old plate
and cover to AutoClutch and get them to rebuild it. My one has ended up
with 3000lb clamping force, and a full-face kevlar plate. Can't wait to get
it all back together and experience my car without the shudders of the
paddle :)

----

RE: 1JZ clutch plate   2002-04-25 23:37:00 <TRIPLE M>
Thanks Cully, The only problem is no car while it is fixed. How long did it
take them to do yours and how soon before you get it back in your car?
Also, what sort of price for the plate and did you have to get the pressure
plate redone as well?

Cheers
Murray

At 11:29 PM 24/04/2002 +1200, you wrote:

>Hey Murray,
> Same set-up as the 7M. Easiest thing to do is to ship the old plate
> and cover to AutoClutch and get them to rebuild it. My one has ended up
> with 3000lb clamping force, and a full-face kevlar plate. Can't wait to
> get it all back together and experience my car without the shudders of
> the paddle :)
>
>Cully

RE: 1JZ clutch plate   2002-04-25 23:42:00 <TRIPLE M>
Hey Rob, is the clutch in your car or Hunt's? Also what sort of boost are
you(or hunt) running?

Regards
Murray

At 09:00 PM 24/04/2002 +1200, you wrote:

>Cully,
>can certainly vouch for the AutoClutch kevlar clutch set up-so smooth, even
>with Hunt driving! and a hard launch Much better than standard. Clamping at
>2800lb.
>Any ideas on Hunts' brake problem's - he's roped me in to help him
>tommorrow. Maybe a master cylinder kit? Thanks,
>
>Rob M.

RE: 1JZ clutch plate   2002-04-26 07:16:00 <Rob Moorhouse>
Murray,
The clutch is in my 7MGTE with the R154 box. Had the clutch in for 7
months. Initially running std 6lbs increased to 10lbs 2 weeks ago. Cost
complete Kevlar based assembly setup & machining was $850. However they did
have a slightly heavier setup than standard which was around $450. From
memory turnaround was a matter of days. Give them a ring - they know what
they're talking about & can help you take the guess work out of setting
something up to suit your current & future requirements & $'s. They're in Mt
Eden/Morningside area.

Rob M.
> Hey Rob, is the clutch in your car or Hunt's? Also what sort of boost are
> you(or hunt) running?
>
> Regards
> Murray
>

> At 09:00 PM 24/04/2002 +1200, you wrote:
>
> >Cully,
> >can certainly vouch for the AutoClutch kevlar clutch set up-so smooth,
even
> >with Hunt driving! and a hard launch Much better than standard. Clamping
at
> >2800lb.
> >Any ideas on Hunts' brake problem's - he's roped me in to help him
> >tommorrow. Maybe a master cylinder kit? Thanks,
> >
> >Rob M.

----

RE: 1JZ clutch plate   2002-04-26 08:58:00 <Cully Paterson>
Hi Murray,
AutoClutch did the repair for me in two days. This seems to be fairly
typical turn-around for them. The best approach is to talk to the
Manager (Colin) and impress on him that you need it done rapidly - they
should be fairly obliging about scheduling it for you. They'll most
likely ask for the complete flywheel/pressure plate/clutch plate
assembly, as they'll want to resurface the flywheel and pressure plate
too (if your old clutch is slipping then this is probably mandatory
anyway).

The R154 pressure plates are a little odd - there are no replacement
forks available for them, so the only thing they can do is to fit a big
spacer into the plate which bends the forks up and increases the
clamping pressure (mine's up to 3000lb now).

The clutch plate they re-manufacture using the existing hub with a
bolt-on 9.5" outer.

When I originally had my paddle plate done by them, the whole lot cost
$950. This time around due to some issues I had with the last setup
they just charged me for the cost of the plate which was $347.

The whole set-up will be back in the car as soon as I rebuild my engine
- sitting on the floor in pieces at the moment!