auto to manual swap   2003-03-04 07:45:00 <glenzplace@...>
Alrighty people. Looks like the GA70 ain't gonna sell for what it's worth so I might just make a few changes to it and hang onto it.

First change I'd like to make is swapping the auto transmission for a manual transmission.

Can you guys please give me a shopping list (e.g. gearbox, pedal box, clutch, yadda yadda yadda) keeping in mind this is the 2.0L twin turbo model. And maybe some people may know some good suppliers of parts in Auckland?

Thanks :)
Glen

re: auto to manual swap   2003-03-04 14:49:00 <glenzplace@...>
Should have asked as well, what number is the gearbox, you know how there's all those W58's and R154's and stuff. Might make things easier seeing as I'm not a mechanic.

re: auto to manual swap   2003-03-04 15:01:00 <Andy S>
> Should have asked as well, what number is the
> gearbox, you know how there's all those W58's and
> R154's and stuff. Might make things easier seeing
> as I'm not a mechanic.

You will want a w55,57 or w58. The factory box from a
1GGTE manual supra is a w58. You will not be able to
use the r154 as there is no bellhousing to fit a G
series engine that i know of.

All the stuff you need will be very hard to locate. Is
it really worth it?

Cheers
Andy S

=====
Visit my website http://andy.supras.org.nz

Home of the 5MGE-->7MGTE conversion!

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

re: auto to manual swap   2003-03-04 16:43:00 <glenzplace@...>
Well....I'm not sure what to do from here.

The problem is, people aren't interested in this car. Despite the fact the car is in better condition than when I bought it.

There's all these other cars that people can get for less than what I ask for mine (which I believe what I ask is reasonable) or it's a 3.0L turbo model, so they go for it for that reason.

People just don't seem to want GA70's, I wish someone told me that nearly a year ago. lol.

re: auto to manual swap   2003-03-04 16:55:00 <glenzplace@...>
anyways.....bitching session over.

What are these parts that I need and I'll see how I go at tracking them down anyway for something to do in my spare time.

Are the pedal box and hydraulics setups the same as MA70's?
Can I source some of the parts from MA70's and some from GA70's?

re: auto to manual swap   2003-03-04 22:46:00 <Andy S>
> Are the pedal box and hydraulics setups the same as
> MA70's?
> Can I source some of the parts from MA70's and some
> from GA70's?

No. The 7MGE would have the same equipment clutchwise,
but the bellhousing will be different. The 7MGTE has a
different clutch anyway, so thats no good for you.

Your best bet is a W5* from a GA61 celica supra (XX)
or similar. The bellhousing from a GA61 will bolt onto
your engine just fine. You may want to modify and use
the clutch gear as well since its relatively easy to
get hold of. The ideal clutch gear will be from a
manual GA70, but will be near imposs to find. If you
did find one, youd be able to get the gearbox off it
too. You would need interior trim to go around the
gear shifter as well in the colours to match your
interior which will be imposs to find.

I think you should not bother with the swap. It will
not be a very good asset to the car as people will
prefer an original car when buying off you.

Cheers
Andy S

=====

re: auto to manual swap   2003-03-05 07:20:00 <glenzplace@...>
>No. The 7MGE would have the same equipment clutchwise,
>but the bellhousing will be different. The 7MGTE has a
>different clutch anyway, so thats no good for you.

So would the hydraulic setup from a 7MGE would be ok? What would I get a flywheel off? Is that a "1G only" sort of part to source?

>Your best bet is a W5* from a GA61 celica supra (XX)
>or similar. The bellhousing from a GA61 will bolt onto
>your engine just fine.

Will keep an eye out. Have been offered a W57 already (with mounts & 1G bellhousing).

>You may want to modify and use
>the clutch gear as well since its relatively easy to
>get hold of.

How much modification are we talking here?

>The ideal clutch gear will be from a
>manual GA70, but will be near imposs to find.

Yeah it'd be nice to find that gear, but may have to improvise some how.

>If you
>did find one, youd be able to get the gearbox off it
>too. You would need interior trim to go around the
>gear shifter as well in the colours to match your
>interior which will be imposs to find.

Yep, I admit that's gonna be a bit of a mission.

>I think you should not bother with the swap. It will
>not be a very good asset to the car as people will
>prefer an original car when buying off you.

Thanks for the warning. Problem is, even in it's standard form people don't want it, so I should probably drive it until I can drives it no more. It's the most reliable car I've had yet anyways. I'm just not an auto transmission fan, hence one of the reasons why I wanted to sell it.

re: auto to manual swap   2003-03-05 08:28:00 <Parts Imports>
I have a 1GTT flywheel with crank bolts

Jason

> >No. The 7MGE would have the same equipment clutchwise,
> >but the bellhousing will be different. The 7MGTE has a
> >different clutch anyway, so thats no good for you.
>
> So would the hydraulic setup from a 7MGE would be ok? What would I get a
flywheel off? Is that a "1G only" sort of part to source?

> >Your best bet is a W5* from a GA61 celica supra (XX)
> >or similar. The bellhousing from a GA61 will bolt onto
> >your engine just fine.
>
> Will keep an eye out. Have been offered a W57 already (with mounts & 1G
bellhousing).

> >You may want to modify and use
> >the clutch gear as well since its relatively easy to
> >get hold of.
>
> How much modification are we talking here?
>
> >The ideal clutch gear will be from a
> >manual GA70, but will be near imposs to find.
>
> Yeah it'd be nice to find that gear, but may have to improvise some how.
>
> >If you
> >did find one, youd be able to get the gearbox off it
> >too. You would need interior trim to go around the
> >gear shifter as well in the colours to match your
> >interior which will be imposs to find.
>
> Yep, I admit that's gonna be a bit of a mission.
>
> >I think you should not bother with the swap. It will
> >not be a very good asset to the car as people will
> >prefer an original car when buying off you.
>
> Thanks for the warning. Problem is, even in it's standard form people
don't want it, so I should probably drive it until I can drives it no more.
It's the most reliable car I've had yet anyways. I'm just not an auto
transmission fan, hence one of the reasons why I wanted to sell it.

re: auto to manual swap   2003-03-05 14:28:00 <glenzplace@...>
Got any other bits I may need as well Jason? How much were you wanting for the flywheel?

re: auto to manual swap   2003-03-05 14:43:00 <Lee Dobson>
I have a 1G-GTE in my mkII GA61 I have used my original master, slave and
pedal setup that was in my GA61 with absolutley no modification whatsoever.
I have even repalced both my slave and master cylinders with brand new
generic ones after my 20 year old ones finally wore out. they cost me
$120incl for both and are perfect.

Cheers
Lee 1G-GTE mkII (minus one turbo)

P.S. If you looking at getting a flywheel, be warned there is an 86.5-?
model that uses a flywheel identical to the GA61 1G-GEU celica/supras and
there is a facelift model that uses a different flywheel. There is a mod
that robbi talked about that was switching your clutch setup to a ST205
celica (94? model) but this only works if you have the correct crackshaft
to suit.

> > >No. The 7MGE would have the same equipment clutchwise,
> > >but the bellhousing will be different. The 7MGTE has a
> > >different clutch anyway, so thats no good for you.
> >
> > So would the hydraulic setup from a 7MGE would be ok? What would I get
> flywheel off? Is that a "1G only" sort of part to source?
> >
> > >Your best bet is a W5* from a GA61 celica supra (XX)
> > >or similar. The bellhousing from a GA61 will bolt onto
> > >your engine just fine.
> >
> > Will keep an eye out. Have been offered a W57 already (with mounts & 1G
> bellhousing).
> >
> > >You may want to modify and use
> > >the clutch gear as well since its relatively easy to
> > >get hold of.
> >
> > How much modification are we talking here?
> >
> > >The ideal clutch gear will be from a
> > >manual GA70, but will be near imposs to find.
> >
> > Yeah it'd be nice to find that gear, but may have to improvise some how.
> >
> > >If you
> > >did find one, youd be able to get the gearbox off it
> > >too. You would need interior trim to go around the
> > >gear shifter as well in the colours to match your
> > >interior which will be imposs to find.
> >
> > Yep, I admit that's gonna be a bit of a mission.
> >
> > >I think you should not bother with the swap. It will
> > >not be a very good asset to the car as people will
> > >prefer an original car when buying off you.
> >
> > Thanks for the warning. Problem is, even in it's standard form people
> don't want it, so I should probably drive it until I can drives it no
more.
> It's the most reliable car I've had yet anyways. I'm just not an auto
> transmission fan, hence one of the reasons why I wanted to sell it.

re: auto to manual swap   2003-03-05 14:46:00 <Cully Paterson>